“The Best Hotel I Have Ever Visited”

Middlethorpe Hall & Spa
Ranked #2 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed for a short visit with a friend. It was delightful - the hotel and gardens are beautiful. My room was in a pretty annexe, very comfortable. The food was delicious. We received a warm welcome and the whole experience was excellent. Thank you to all the staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Reviewed July 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here to celebrate our 6th wedding anniversary. We stayed in one of the four poster bedrooms in the main house, I loved every minute of it, and recommend it highly. The pool was a great addition to our trip. Breakfast was delicious and presented very well.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Having married here 16 years ago, we returned for a special Anniversary celebration. We were lucky to get a last minute table reservation despite York Race week..... And we were not disappointed.

Greeted at the door and taken through to the beautiful Drawing Room for drinks and canapés.....a taste of what was to come. We began with scallops served with seaweed and then a good robust portion of Yorkshire Lamb. I don't recall exactly the cut or how it was cooked however the presentation, the sauce and the overall flavour .......how to describe that feeling that you never want it to end! All washed down with a fantastic Rufus Stone - Heathcote Shiraz as recommended by knowledgeable manager Adam. Our only regret was that we were not able to stay that night! Keep it up, you all do it so very well. Thank you. Jackie Crawford

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights as a relaxing break with my partner. We received a warm welcome and were upgraded to a suite which was wonderful. All the facilities were spot on and working.

My only gripe was that there was no music anywhere. I understand it's in keeping with the tradition of the hotel, but the atmosphere at breakfast, dinner and in the drawing room was stifling. I really don't want my dinner conversation overheard when I'm paying nearly £200 for it. My partner and i clinked glasses and it echoed through the silence of the dinner hall. The drawing room was only ever used by one couple at a time as it felt too awkward to be in there when someone else was. It's a shame as it really spoiled the atmosphere and made it very formal.

I loved the gardens and the food was brilliant, it's just a real shame the atmosphere felt a bit too stuffy, I wouldn't go back due to this. Perhaps I'm used to more modern hotels and it's just not to my taste.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank heyjo
Reviewed June 23, 2013

We have just been married at Middlethorpe Hall and had a fantastic day. The hotel is really beautiful and the gardens equally so. The manager and his staff could not have been more friendly or helpful and the wedding co-ordinator was brilliant at making everything run smoothly and putting you at ease. The food was excellent. We had a small wedding however Middlethorpe hall made it very special.
The room we stayed in (Room 2) was fantastic with lots of character and a huge queen size bed.
We would like to say a big thank you to all the staff who helped to make our day so special.The hotel was beautiful, and our guests couldn't believe the lovely setting.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I highly encourage everyone planning a trip to York ( or its environs) to stay at Middlethorpe Hall. It is a wonderful place. A short bus or cab ride from City Centre, but a zillion miles away (figuratively) from the hustle and bustle that I encountered when touring the sights in York. Middlethorpe Hall is the perfect place to relax. The gardens are absolutely beautiful and there's plenty of space to just walk and explore. The staff does everything they can to accommodate. Everyone one is smiling and helpful and they truly make you feel right at home. One thing I noticed as well is that staff members are always visible making improvements to the home and gardens. Everything is impeccable to begin with, but seeing members of staff 'keeping everything up' is just so heartening. Makes one feel that this place will be here for future guests to enjoy for years and years to come. Let's all hope so.

A Must Do: Afternoon Tea in the beautiful drawing room. It's not to be missed!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank roadtripper_fl
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Middlethorpe is a wonderful large old house not far from the center of York (about 2 miles, which is a nice walk). The service was impeccable, as was the food. And the gardens....well, where to start....so much variety/color and incredibly well kept - the gardens provided great entertainment for us to walk through every day we were there. The only downfall for us was that you can always hear the main thoroughfare roadway that is on the opposite side of the gardens and the roadway can be very loud, at all times of day.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family