“Great central location , ok hotel expected more for the price”

Park Inn by Radisson York
Ranked #29 of 47 Hotels in York
Durham, United Kingdom
“Great central location , ok hotel expected more for the price”
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location right next to the river and a stones throw from the bridge to the heart of York. The hotel was as you would expect, nice but nothing special, a bit pricy due to its location and it's a long long walk to the place where breakfast is served.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank ArtShopWill
ParkInnYorkCity, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson York, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Good morning. Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and hope we will have the pleasure of you staying with us again. The location is just perfect; close to shops and all visitor attractions and with amazing views of the River Ouse.

Warm regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (612)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Milton Keynes, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2014 via mobile

I visited the Park Inn by Radisson in York with dread. I have stayed several times previously and I hated it. This time was very different though.

I want to get things straight up front. This is a 3 star chain hotel and so I'll compare it against other 3 star chain hotels.

The building itself is by the river and pretty functional looking in comparison to some other buildings in York. The site is very central and only a quick stroll to the Minister, National Railway Museum and Jorvik centre.

Last time I was here the room was dated, smelled oddly of egg and was really noisy, so you can imagine my trepidation of a room in the garden court yard area.

It is a big building so I had to take 2 lifts walk past a lot of conference rooms to go up 4 floors.

The room itself was modern, clean and comfortable. There was enough space to store my things, and a nice bathroom with double sized shower. My room didn't overlook the courtyard, or the river, I got a lovely view of some aircon units.

The services in the room where good, free WiFi allowing me to check mails etc browse and connect to the VPN on my laptop, and the usual tea and coffee facilities. One plus for a hotel of this level was having my own iron and board, I really don't like having to ask for one when I'm away on business.

I didn't eat dinner in the hotel so can't comment on that. The one drink I had in the bar overlooking the river was served quickly and professionally. The breakfast was the usual buffet affair it was pretty fresh and warm so no problems there.

All in all this was a good trip. I slept well and didn't gear the air con units through the night so that was a plus. For the standard of the hotel everything was very good.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
ParkInnYorkCity, General Manager at Park Inn by Radisson York, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Good afternoon James; thank you so much for your extensive review of your recent stay at the hotel. It certainly sounds as though you enjoyed your time here in York and we look forward to welcoming you back should your travels bring you back this way.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night while stopping over on a business trip. York is always a delight to visit and this hotel was a delight to stay at. Staff were friendly, onsite parking was excellent, location was perfect and the rooms were clean and cosy. The shower in the room was one of the best I've had in a hotel in a long time. Would definitely recommend and shall return in future when visiting York.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Good afternoon; Many thanks for your positive feedback following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to read that you found the hotel to be perfect for your needs. The city is certainly beautiful and never more so when the sun is shining. Don't leave it too long before you come back to visit us.

London
Reviewed May 24, 2014

This rather unexciting hotel is well positioned for everything in York. The bedrooms are standard and clean - mine had a river view and a walk in shower rather than a bath. My air-con worked fine. Breakfast is buffet style and the room is too small to accommodate people at busy periods. There are not enough staff at those times either so queues build up to get in. Food was reasonable, fresh and tasty. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful. If you want a decent hotel with a good view near to everything in York, this will do nicely.

Room Tip: Ask for a river view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
A few words to thank you for your positive review of your recent stay. I am pleased to read you found the hotel to be ideal for your needs in all areas. I will share your comments with the team who will be delighted to know you had such a good time.

Regards
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2014

This hotel is one of the more reasonably priced in York.
The hotel is in a great location on North Street. It is a 2 minute stroll over the bridge right into the heart of the city.
Rooms have all the basic mod cons (safe, tea & coffee facilities, hairdryer and air con) and are clean and bright.
There is a secure car park for hotel guests, charges are £12 a day.
We didn't eat here but had a lovely afternoon drink in the bar which directly overlooks the River Ouse.
Staff here are friendly and professional. My partner left his aftershave in our room and it was posted back to us within 24 hours of us checking out.

I would definitely stay here again if visiting York.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Clare E
Good morning. Thank you so much for your very positive review of your recent stay at the hotel. I am delighted you had such a good time and hope that we will have the pleasure of you staying with us again in the near future.

Reviewed May 22, 2014

This is the sort of hotel where you would stay for a conference - soul-less, very basic and where you would spend as little time as possible. The air-con was unpredictable and the doona so thin it could pass for a sheet. Consequently I woke up cold and stiff also due to the hard bed. My room was a good size and I was relieved not to be staying in the room that I was originally allocated but was already occupied. The two tiny bottles of detergent that double as shampoo and body wash could hardly be called "toiletries" and the towels that have seen better days were about the same thickness as the doona. The bar meal - prawn and chicken skewers and duck spring rolls - were hard and tasteless, and breakfast was uninspiring. My egg came with a garnish of shell. I think I racked up my daily step quotient with the walk around the maze of corridors. The rooms are color-coded, perhaps to assist guests who get lost - "I'm on the 4th floor, blue door". This is hotel is not in the best part of York, although it is within walking distance of almost everything. There must be better places to stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the 4th floor, overlooking the river and accessible from the first lift.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
it is always disppointing when a guest has not enjoyed their stay but thank your feedback as we constantly strive to improve our level of service. I must say however that I am a little surprised as your views are at variance to the majority of reviews we receive; please be assured however your comments are take seriously and appropriate actionwill be taken to ensure any shortfalls are addressed immediately

I do hope you had a safe journey home.

Kind regards
Reviewed May 22, 2014

A short stay with excellent parking facility, though limited spaces I believe. Convenient to York town centre with very clean rooms and excellent staff. The breakfast was buffet style and I enjoyed the usual full English followed by fruit and a pot of tea. Staff were extremely helpful even to providing coffee sachets that were not present in the room after check in.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Park Inn by Radisson Hotels

1 Thank 652gregb
Five Stars...... we cannot ask for better, thank you. I am delighted you found the hotel to meet all your expectations and hope that we see you again in the near future.