“Fantastic City Break!”

and 1 more site!
Hollies Guest House
Ranked #95 of 195 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 12, 2013

My girlfriend and I came to York for a few days away and booked at The Hollies as it was close to town and seemed nice. Hayley was really friendly and helpful from start to finish, the room was very comfortable and suited our needs perfectly, and the breakfast was great, with a large number of different choices and at a time convinient to us. Would definately recommend this b and b for anyone visiting York!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Will A

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at The Hollies over Easter break. Unfortunately the rooms are not very well "sound proofed" so the noise of the very busy main road, other guests entering / exiting their rooms and any small children will be heard by everyone.

The narrow and early breakfast timings are a real "downside" to very friendly and welcoming owner. the room was clean and the bed satisfactory.

We didn't relax very much here and given the "noises off" probably wouldn't recommend this to others.

Room Tip: Only pick room with double glazing, not side rooms
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hampshirecouple55
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the hollies. Good location, road is not too disturbing and a lovely river walk into the city centre.
The room is presented nicely although cleanliness could be improved.
Check in and out times are not great, and breakfast could be longer (only 45mins) and later on a Sunday (8:30 - 9.15).
I would recommend to a friend.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Emma8980
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I stayed at the Hollies for one night midweek when bringing my son back up to uni after the Christmas break. It was a bit of a last minute decision so I had struggled to find a decent place to stay near the campus. The Hollies turned out to be a real find. I was the only guest so was given the best room in the house at a very favourable rate.

The room was lovely, decorated and furnished in a pleasing mix of mainly modern with the odd vintage piece, very clean and spacious with a great en-suite shower which I didn't want to get out of in the morning. The toiletries were ample and good quality and there were some thoughtful touches such as wine glasses available from a shelf on the landing.

The bed was luxuriously comfortable and I had a great night's sleep. The road outside was quite busy early evening and morning rush-hour but the noise did not disturb me (even though I am a country girl so not used to traffic) because of the efficient double glazing.

The room was nice and warm on a frosty night. The heaters in the bedroom had individual controls and responded very quickly to adjustments. The bathroom could have been a little warmer but I solved this by leaving the door to the bedroom open! The only thing I would have liked would have been bigger, fluffier towels but the ones I was given were plentiful and fine.

The breakfast was very good. It was piping hot and nicely cooked, and my preference for Earl Grey tea was well provided for! The breakfast room had very pleasant, sunny decor and a cheerful fire in the grate.

I parked off-street right in front of the house. It might be a bit tight when there are a lot of guests but it was easy to park on-street just round the corner.

I found the owner to be friendly, outgoing and pleasant. I had not been looking forward to my trip to York because I thought it was going to be a bit of a chore but thanks to the Hollies it turned out to be a real treat. I will certainly stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank juno1306
Reviewed November 18, 2012

My husband and I spent two nights at the Hollies and would recommend it as it is nicely situated for visiting York on foot. Our room was very clean and the decor tasteful. I was a bit worried when we first arrived as it is on a very busy road, however, the double glazed windows certainly kept the noise out. Breakfast was a full English but there were plenty of other things to choose from cereals, fruit etc. Nice cosy fire in the dining room which was welcoming as we visited in November. Plenty of information brochures to help you choose what to do. We were given a front door key as well as our room key which meant we didn't have to keep knocking to be let in. Owner and staff very polite and helpful. A nice touch was the use of wine glasses just outside our room door.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2012

My colleague and I stayed here for four nights as we were doing a course in the University of York. Situated about a 25 minute walk from Alcuin College in the University (although we were subsequently there was a shorter route through a field) and a stroll from the city (although the bus goes very frequently from right across the road.

This is a very quaint B&B with a very pleasant and helpful owner, she was on hand with all sorts of information whenever we needed it. It was extremely warm which was great as we visited at a particularly cold time of the year. Our room had a large en suite with a bath and the room was extremely well dressed.

The only fault we found was with the "twin room" we had booked. Our room consisted of a King size bed and a not very comfortable looking metal framed couch/bed. We hadn't anticipated that one of us would have to sleep in a less than comfortable looking bed so we tossed a coin for it, unfortunately, I lost. It was quite a short single "bed", I'm not particularly tall but even I found it short. The mattress was extremely springy, to the point of digging into my side, and I didn't manage to sleep at all on the first two nights. On the third night, my colleague graciously offered me the other half of the King sized bed and I eventually got a good nights sleep. There was no comparison between the quality of the two beds so it might be worth noting if booking a twin room. When you are splitting a bill, you expect that both occupants will get the same level of comfort.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay though.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 17, 2012

The Hollies was a last minute booking. The guesthouse was average in our experience. We were given the key and some basic information about buses but were not shown to our room. Our room was certainly not as clean as it should have been and the towels had long seen better days. Light above mirror in bathroom not working. The full English breakfast was good but other choices were basic with no extra frills! Milk for cereals and juice was served warm!! In our view this pleasant guest house was not what we have experienced in other 4 star accommodation.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple