“The guest house is amazing a clean and tidy”

Crossways Guest House
Ranked #95 of 194 York B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed for 5 nights and every day we got a clean bed.The guest house is clean and tidy.The breakfast was lovely nice and filling.Emma is a lovely person she is so kind and helpful she has lots of leaflets to help her guests out and places that she recommends.The guest house has a amazing victorian garden that is lovely to sit in when the weather is nice.

• Stayed: August 2013
There are newer reviews for Crossways Guest House

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Told what time we were to be booked in by and not at all flexible about accommodating a change of arrival time.

Smallest shower ever seen. Rules, rules, rules. Not made to feel welcome at all. Had to order breakfast the night before and it wasn't even worth it, the breakfast was overcooked. There are far better places to stay.

We go away to feel pampered not dreading coming back to the room.

Avoid this dump.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SunshineSoozy
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

I was up in York for one month for work and stayed in a number of hotels and guest houses around the city. Crossways was by far the best 6 nights of my stay. Nice location, 10 mins walk to the town centre, but far away enough out of town to be quiet at night and not be kept up by all the noisy hen/stag parties which descend on York at weekends. The rooms are clean, the bed was very comfy with lots of pillows and you wake up every morning to the most delicious smells of breakfast cooking! The host/owner is such a friendly lovely lady. She goes out if her way to make you feel welcome. I don't know why the below reviewer said they weren't given a wifi code as I found it very quickly in the guide on the desk in the room, I was very pleasantly surprised that the wifi was completely free, and fast too! Which is unheard of in hotels. I would definitely recommend staying here. Friendly, comfortable and fantastic value for money. 5 stars!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank alexandra_Oxford2010
Reviewed July 23, 2013

On booking this got an email telling us to arrive by 2pm on a Saturday. Its not manned after that time.! Tried to cancel but I had foolishly allowed payment to go through immediately.
Arrived in time, despite appalling traffic jam, to be asked to order breakfast for the following morning. We were also told no changes to breakfast choices could be made on subsequent days. There was a framed set of house rules on the wall of the tiny bedroom (number 1) a single room masquerading as a double, plus the ensuite was minute. No instructions on how to operate the shower though and we were'nt given the wi-fi code.We were asked to pay £5 per day parking charge . It was advertised as having parking one of the reasons I chose it.
No air con which was'nt surprising but no fan was provided despite the scorching temperature. The only mirrors were A4 sized and too high to see more then a head.
I made an error ordering and my partner only got porridge and I got a fry ,with egg over cooked . When we asked if they could cook him something we were told it was impossible as the food was taken from the freezer the night before, just enough for the orders that were placed in advance. More toast was provided.
Everything about the place felt mean,mean ,mean and it cost the same as the 4 star hotel we stayed in, in Stratford upon Avon the night before.
Find somewhere else to stay.Anywhere else is my advice. The very worst B+B I have stayed in anywhere.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Nina09Dublin
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Crossways is very convenient for sight-seeing in York, walking only takes 10 mins to the Minster and it beats trying to drive in and find somewhere to park. The rooms are undeniably small, well ours was, on the top floor, but comfortable and VERY clean, and how much time do you actually spend in the bedroom anyway ? It was just somewhere to lay our heads for the night, as far as we're concerned. The staff are very friendly and helpful and the cooked breakfast was just what was needed before a full day's sight-seeing on foot.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 24, 2013

this hotel was centrally located just 10 mins walk into York centre, the breakfast was enjoyable, especially the homemade jam and marmalade, full English breakfast was just right, not too much. my only negative point was the bed was too hard, this is personal choice I know, my parents were with us and their bed felt softer, will ask in future! still it was a pleasant place and I would stay again but in room 3 !

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Having travelled to York on the 22nd of june without booking (big mistake) me and my partner couldnt find anywhere to stay so 2 hours later I looked up accommodation in York on my Internet and found the crossways guest house , the room was the superior king for £95 plus £5 to park.We took it .having opened the door to our room number 7 , wow was our thoughts, it was beautiful and so modern , infact it was the nicest b&b id ever stayed in.couldnt fault the room.The en suite was lovely clean and modern, the only draw back was the tiny shower, its impossible to turn around in it. A walk into York takes about 10/15 minute walk, it depends on how fast you walk and what part of York you go to. The breakfast is served from 8.30 till 9.15 and you have to order your meal the evening before. I had the full english and my partner had the scrambled egg and smoked salmon which we both said was beautiful . overall we had a great time and would highly recommend room 7 at this b&b

• Stayed: June 2013