“Horrible Experience”
Review of Elmbank Hotel

Elmbank Hotel
Ranked #47 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed July 26, 2009

I was surprised that the hotel does not fulfilled the promised standards. We booked in advance a triple room. First we did not know that the breakfast was not included. The room has a strong humidity smell, the furniture was very old and deteriorated, it hasn't telephone line and no tv remote control. The staff was horribly rude and was not able to deal with our enquiries. Definitely doesn't worth the money we paid, a 100 pounds per night.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Lucia-Arg
Write a ReviewReviews (1,239)

Reviewed July 17, 2009

My husband and I booked this hotel as a very last minute trip away after our wedding and before our late honeymoon. So this was essentially our honeymoon. Yes it was cheap but as it was only the day before, most hotels on laterooms.com were cheap and being 3* I thought 'How bad can it be?'. Oh how I thought about this later.

When we pulled up I noticed the hotel had a distinct youth hostel appearance with dingy yellow lights outside. But being happy honeymooners we thought nothing could dampen our spirits and if nothing else it would just be somewhere to lay our heads. The inside was awful. Depressing, dank, worn and depressing again. As for the staff......it seemed like a clip from the Addams family. I was very suspicious when we had to pay immediately and would recommend to anyone considering going to check the rooms first.

Our room was disgusting. Yellow walls, a window with no view, weird bathroom which was very dirty and a general feeling of grime. I cried and cried. We should have left immediately but as we'd paid up front we couldn't.

I'd never recommend this to anyone and can't believe anyone could even charge to stay in this place. Avoid at all costs. We'll certainly never forget it.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Louiseallan1
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Stayed here for two nights as part of a sightseeing tour of north yorkshire. The hotel is situated a ten to fifteen minute walk to the city centre. Staff were very friendly , our room was basic but clean .The breafast was a little rushed and perhaps could have been better organised, however overall we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 12, 2009

Me and my boyfiriend decided to visit york after he had knee surgery and saw the website for this hotel. I was very disappointed when we arrived. The man on reception was very rude and looked bored, He did not smile once and left us feeling like we were in the way. The room was small and dated and the window rattled loudly throughout the night. The location was good and it meant that we could spend as little time in there as possible. I would not recommend it to anyone and will not be visiting again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank clairesmith89
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Wouldn't stay there again if THEY PAID ME ! The rooms were tatty at best, down right dirty at worst,if blood on my counterpane and that of one of my friends is anything to by. Pubic hair was also found in another bed- gross. The carpet in the foyer was stuck down with masking tape and bottle collection at 06.00hrs was an unwelcome alarm call. Staff could not care less if we had enjoyed stay or not .In the bar, no staff on hand to serve and no money in the till. POOR SERVICE ALTOGETHER.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Steangela
Reviewed July 3, 2009

The room was dirty ,the bed sheets were stained, the bathroom was mouldy ,there was no hot water for a shower , the light did not work ,there was a strong smell of drains ,I could go on. This hotel needs a total refurbishment and is not as discribed on there website. The food was very poor. The overall service of this hotel was very poor.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
2  Thank duke4
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I booked a family room (sleeps 4) online for 3 of us over a month before our stay date on the understanding that a possible 4th person could be accomodated in our room if required and was told on the phone that this would not be a problem. Two weeks later my friend said she would be able to go to York with us so I called Elmbark to confirm this and was told by a man who didn`t speak English v.well that was fine because I had reserved a room for 4 people and didn`t need to make any changes to the booking. Three days before we were due to book into this hotel I decided to call them and check what the extra charge for the 4th person joining us would be. The 1st lady I spoke too once again spoke bad English and didn`t seem to be able to make up her mind if there was an extra charge or not and eventually said there probably would be!!! When I asked what it would be she coldn`t answer me so passed the phone to another lady. I was then asked for my details and rudely told that because I had only booked for 3 people that they had moved my `reservation` from the family room to a triple room!!! When I told her i`d spoken too 2 people who told me that I had a room booked for 4 people and did NOT need to alter my booking she just said `well u`ve been told wrong and that they should have told me that I needed to change my booking`!!!! I was then informed that the room I booked had been given to somebody else and was offered 2 twin rooms for alot more money! How can a hotel decide to give a room that u`ve reserved to somebody else and emply such poorly informed staff?! Thank god we didn`t just turn up as advised by THEIR own staff! I was so angry that I cancelled my booking and am glad I`m not staying there now if this is how they deal with their customers!! I`ve never complained about a hotel before let alone one i didn`t even get to stay in! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone ,awful customer service!!!!!

Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends