“This hotel was filthy trading standards would have a field day at this hotel”
Review of Elmbank Hotel

Elmbank Hotel
Ranked #47 of 47 Hotels in York
north east
“This hotel was filthy trading standards would have a field day at this hotel”
Reviewed July 3, 2009

The room was dirty ,the bed sheets were stained, the bathroom was mouldy ,there was no hot water for a shower , the light did not work ,there was a strong smell of drains ,I could go on. This hotel needs a total refurbishment and is not as discribed on there website. The food was very poor. The overall service of this hotel was very poor.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank duke4

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
N.East, UK
Reviewed June 30, 2009

I booked a family room (sleeps 4) online for 3 of us over a month before our stay date on the understanding that a possible 4th person could be accomodated in our room if required and was told on the phone that this would not be a problem. Two weeks later my friend said she would be able to go to York with us so I called Elmbark to confirm this and was told by a man who didn`t speak English v.well that was fine because I had reserved a room for 4 people and didn`t need to make any changes to the booking. Three days before we were due to book into this hotel I decided to call them and check what the extra charge for the 4th person joining us would be. The 1st lady I spoke too once again spoke bad English and didn`t seem to be able to make up her mind if there was an extra charge or not and eventually said there probably would be!!! When I asked what it would be she coldn`t answer me so passed the phone to another lady. I was then asked for my details and rudely told that because I had only booked for 3 people that they had moved my `reservation` from the family room to a triple room!!! When I told her i`d spoken too 2 people who told me that I had a room booked for 4 people and did NOT need to alter my booking she just said `well u`ve been told wrong and that they should have told me that I needed to change my booking`!!!! I was then informed that the room I booked had been given to somebody else and was offered 2 twin rooms for alot more money! How can a hotel decide to give a room that u`ve reserved to somebody else and emply such poorly informed staff?! Thank god we didn`t just turn up as advised by THEIR own staff! I was so angry that I cancelled my booking and am glad I`m not staying there now if this is how they deal with their customers!! I`ve never complained about a hotel before let alone one i didn`t even get to stay in! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone ,awful customer service!!!!!

Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank rollo707

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Oxford
Reviewed June 16, 2009

My wife and I stayed in the 'Elmbank Hotel and Lodge' in mid June 2009, paying approx. 130 pounds for a two-night break (staying Thurs. and Fri. nights).

The level of cleanliness was very poor and the accommodation was of sub-standard for a hotel. For example, the room was dirty and surfaces were covered in dust, a towel was badly stained, the bathroom was mouldy and flushing the toilet produced a loud rumbling and shaking that lasted for a couple of minutes.

We had asked for a quiet room, but were surrounded by noisy neighbours whose voices (etc.) could be heard through the paper-thin walls.

We paid £8.50 per person for a cooked breakfast and regretted it. The quality of the food was very low and you could get much better, for cheaper, eating at one of the many cafes on the route into the city.

We did not stay for the second night but were not asked why we were checking out early.

I would not recommend this hotel to anyone and suggest, instead, that you go elsewhere (e.g. a guesthouse / B & B) if you're on a budget.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JSY7000
Darlington, England
Reviewed June 5, 2009

We (2 adults, 2 teens) stayed here for one Saturday night to attend a birthday party, so spent little time there other than checkin, sleeping and breakfast before departure. Chose the hotel because of its location close to our friends' home and because they could offer a decent sized family room for 4; we'd stayed there once as a couple some years ago and found it to be ok, nothing special but ok.

Our room was actually reasonably good - very large ground floor double with another double bed and a single bed that stow vertically in cupboards and drop down when needed. Even with extra beds in place it's a big room with table, armchairs etc, unlike many so-called family rooms where there's no floor space at all when all the beds are in use. The cleanliness of the room was ok with good bedlinen and comfortable beds, although the bathroom decor was rather tired and the bathroom was adequately rather than squeaky clean. Parking can be a bit of an issue in this area but we were lucky and had no problems on this visit. We booked on Lastminute.com and opted to have breakfast as it only added about £8 in total to the room rate, which was about £120 for us all. No, it wasn't a spectacular individually-cooked breakfast, but it was plentiful, tasty, included fruit, yogurt, toast, cereal, juices and buffet-style cooked breakfast, and was most certainly worth paying the extra for. We found the staff to be polite and helpful and despite the fact that the hotel was busy and had a function on, we didn't suffer from any noise and enjoyed a comfortable short stay. It was a better option for our family group than taking two rooms in a travelodge or similar, cost about the same, we got breakfast, and it's within walking distance of York city centre. We were happy enough with what we got for our money.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Arived at the Elmbank at 11:00am left our lugage there and walked into York as check in time was from 2:00pm.Arrived back at the hotel around 3:00 to be told that there had been a problem with our booking and we didn't have a room so we would have to find somewhere else.( I had reserved our room on the hotels own website) After some discussion we eventually managed to get a room at the Elmbank only because some other guests decided to not take up their reservation.
Our room was above the restaurant/kitchen so there was a relentless noise of doors banging.The room,particularly the ensuite was filthy.We dread to think what the content of the stains on the door,tiles,skirting etc was.The overall service of this hotel seems to be running on a very tight budget.The person on reception had to serve in the bar,even then that person had to got back to receprion to get your change,for some reason they don't use the till behind the bar.Unless things change,we won't be going back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank UKCruiser
Essex
Reviewed May 18, 2009

Having read the very mixed reviews here I was a bit anxious about what to expect, but very pleasantly surprised. We were given a great room - a suite really, with 4-poster bed - with no extra charge (paid £84 for 1 night inc breakfast using website). The staff were all very helpful - parking was a bit tricky being raceweek but they helped find a solution after we double-parked in the fairly small car park by keeping the keys in case they had to move the car. The lounge is huge - with a quirky high ceiling and roaring coal fire. Breakfast was good - all the usual stuff and excellent bacon, plenty of it too. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed May 12, 2009

stayed here after booking via booking.com (therefore cheaper than booking directly) and this place was much better than expected. the hotel is quirky. we didn't have breakfast included but i was glad as it didn't look great.
good location. negatives were water pressure was low and they have their heating up really high so it's worth remembering to turn your radiator up/down according to the time of day. plus from our room there was alot of noise as we were need a fire door used by all rooms on our floor which banged shut consistently (annoying when you're trying to lie in!) would return, if it was on offer again!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends