“Better than most of the reviews say”
Review of Elmbank Hotel

Elmbank Hotel
Ranked #47 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed September 1, 2008

Having read some of the reviews (after booking our stay) my wife and I were very unsure about this hotel. However on arrival we were met by a very polite and helpful receptionist and given precise directions to our room. The room itself was very clean and tidy, bed very comfortable and definitely no damp smell. During our stay fresh soap, shampoo, towels etc were put in our room every day. While this hotel is obviously not a modern chrome and plastic nonentity it does have some great features, main staircase and wall decor in bar especially. All staff we spoke to were as polite and helpful as our receptionist, food was very good, always hot and more than sufficient. Granted some of the decor could be spruced up but this would possibly take away from the great art nouveau decor. The hotel is only a short walk to York city centre and is ideal for visiting all the attractions. One of the few possible downsides is that there is no lift, a consideration if you are elderly or infirm. Overall really enjoyed our stay and would go back again.

Reviewed August 28, 2008

We stayed for one night in the Elmbank Hotel over August Bank Holiday weekend, after booking only the day before without checking any reviews. When I later checked reviews, I started to panic, thinking that it was going to be awful (I even looked to book another hotel, willing to forfeit my payment). However, my panic was completely unfounded. It is a beautiful building - trust me, the lounge and staircase is lovely - and it's in a perfect location for York centre. Sure, it's like a old country house so the curtains/carpet/wallpaper are old-fashioned and a bit tired. And OK, the receptionist didn't smile much. We stayed in the main hotel and our room was clean and large, if a little dated. I never noticed any dinginess or fusty smells. The bathroom we had was fantastic - modern and bright with funky tiles and chrome fixtures. I wouldn't necessarily go back - it wasn't our first choice of hotel - but it was nowhere near as bad as I was expecting. And if you're not going to spend much time in the hotel (we didn't drink or eat there so can't comment on that), it's more than fine for short break.

Reviewed August 16, 2008

Arrived after 7.30pm. Had to park away from hotel as car park full. Walked into dinghy, tired reception area. Receptionist was young, pleasant and helpful. On opening our bedroom door there was a very strong damp, foisty smell. Horrid grubby net curtain at window. Bedroom and bathroom also very tired looking. Rang Reception who could not offer another room. Decor in bar areas and corridors would probably have been passable 20 years ago. The mattress on the bed had seen better days and was not comfortable. Room was cold. Left just after 9am and didnt even bother with a shower. Dropped the key off at Reception and asked for Head Office address, neither of the members of staff could furnish us with this information. Wont ever stay again!

The bedroom shown on the website is nothing like the one we had - misleading!!!

1  Thank dustieYorkshire
Reviewed July 15, 2008

We stayed here as the recommended accommodation for a friends wedding. It was pricey so we took some assurance to the level of quality having paid less for the local Travelodge a year or two previous.

First off we booked a family room which was very spacious but was like the room from a decade taste and cleanliness forgot.... the largest oversight would be that perhaps a buggy dweller wouldn't need to climb 56 steps to/fro the room (as pretty as the stairway may be)

The second perhaps more annoying point was that the windows did not close and the room was freezing... so cold that I slept not a wink all night on our first night. I requested that the heating was turned on (as the localized heating controls were ineffective) only to be told that they could not. I complained and threatened to revote payment. This lead to our request of heating being met but at ridiculous temperatures at periodic intervals throughout the night. This fluctuation also did not lend itself to a peaceful nights rest.

All this resulted in having to spend the whole 3rd day in bed with a fierce head cold.

The walls are paper thin and the bathroom was so filthy it was disgusting.

Service at the bar was by request at reception only, such requests were met with much huffing and puffing from the overly made up lady that appears to run the establishment.

Breakfast was ok but as a friend said, and I quote "Bacon should be crispy because its been cooked crispy... not because its been left under the heat lamp for 3hrs".

Overall for 3 nights we parted with near on £400 and were sorely disappointed, I would have placed a value around the £50 per night mark but I'm not sure I wouldn't resent paying for a room when all you want is somewhere warm, comfortable and clean to stay.

On a positive note, its closely located to the city so great for younger couple or hen/stag parties who will be spending more time on the town than in the room.

I would only recommend as somewhere to lay your head but would shop around for cheaper prices. In a toss up between here and the Travelodge in the future I know where our custom will be going… at least a Travelodge doesn’t put on the pretext of being welcoming.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank TravellingMam
Reviewed July 12, 2008

We wanted a nice night in York and looked for a hotel on the net and found this very reasonably priced at room only £55 per room per night.
When we pulled up it looks very good from outside the front, quite dramatic. Old building but with lovely greenery surrounding.
The side entrance where you enter looked dirty and in need of an update, the nets at the windows were disgusting.

When we entered the reception it is very oldy world but nice for York. Lovely staircases.
The receptionist was quite miserable and could barely be bothered to talk to us.
We left our car as we couldnt check in as too early and went to visit York. We were gone all day.
We arrived back around 5.30pm.
Different receptionist but also very miserable, I am a receptionist myself and was quite annoyed by their disinterest and attitude.

We were told where our room was which was just alongside reception. It wasnt very nice at all.
The window was broken and the catch had been snapped off. The very grey net curtains had brown splodges all over them which could have been rust from the broken window catch or something else I dont even want to think about.
There were 6 or more cans of stella artois of the wall outside,maybe off some random drunk but I though the hotel could have maybe removed them.

The bed top covers seemed damp and not very clean. I removed them straight away.
The wardrobe would not close, the doors would not meet and kept swinging open.
My husband commented the room did smell very strong of old smoke, obviously not well aired at all. Carpet looked sad and old.
Bathroom ok, very very small but at least it was clean.

My husband rang reception asking for an iron, he said recep was rude and seemed a bit annoyed he had rang and she was too busy and he would have to collect himself when she had one. He went along after 5 mins and she was NOT busy at all.

I didnt really want to get into the bed but it did look clean inside.
Anyway, we went out for the night and had lots of wine so tried not to let it bother me when we got back. Did sleep quite well.

I wont be visiting Elmbank again unless they clean up the place and train their staff to be more pleasant and courteous.
Fair enough £55 but it should have been cheaper for the state of it. You can stay in the centre at Travelodge for £39, I wish we had just stayed there and paid that but I fancied a nice old traditional York hotel. Maybe not next time.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2008

I read some pretty mixed reviews about this place but I found it to be excellent. The hotel was beautiful inside and out. The room was large and the bathroom was large which seems to uncommon over there. We came in very late but found the staff to be very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 17, 2008

booked this hotel for me and the wife as we fancied a night out in york and was pretty impressed with the whole experience..if you shop around there are some good deals to be had and ours included breakfast which would normally be £8.50.
the hotel itself was very easy to find and we were lucky to get a parking space right outside as the races were on and the whole place was quite busy.we were checked in quickly and first impressions were good.our room was pretty basic but the bathroom looked brand new and was spotless.breakfast was served between 7.30 and 9 .30 which we really enjoyed.there was fruit juices,cereals,pastries and of course bacon eggs etc which was self service buffet style.tea and coffee was also available..all in all if you are looking for a hotel that is in a good location for the train station,racetrack and city centre itself then i would recommend the Elmbank..we will definately go back

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled on business