“HOPE YOU DON'T END UP IN THE LODGE !!!!!!!!!!!”
Review of Elmbank Hotel

Elmbank Hotel
Ranked #47 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Booked an overnight stay online based on the main advert for Elmbank Hotel & Lodge. Unfortunately it didn't state whether we would be in the Hotel or THE LODGE. Duly arrived at said hotel which from the outside, needs a serious makeover.....Went to Reception and were informed that we were in THE LODGE (across the road by the way) and were charged up front the princely sum of £84, this did not include breakfast which was an extra £8.50!!!!! On entering the lodge, it smelled as old as it was and God only knows when the last time a cleaner actually went in there and wiped the staircase down.
THE ROOM...
On opening the door to our room, I was shocked at the size of it......tiny as hell. Good job I hadn't brought the cat as he would have been disappointed....he does like to swing. The room appeared to be a converted cupboard that they had somehow squeezed a bed and bathroom into. At first I thought there was a window open but quickly realised that there wasn't....the frame was so old (original) that it didn't fit and I could actually see the road outside through the frame. Last decorated in 1970 it seems and the thinnest of walls.....swear blind I heard a mouse cough in the room next door. Very thin tired old mattress and the bed didn't even have a headboard, just pillows propped up against the wall. The drinking glasses were filthy and had to be washed before use.
THE BATHROOM...
No surprise when I tell you it was tiny. I could actually sit on the loo AND wash my hands at the same time....although to some, this may be a feature, it was not to me.
THE SHOWER...
Squeezed into the corner with a 9" step up to get into it..I kid you not. The shower head was obviously not the original and as such did not fit the retaining clip......and so duly fell off and hit me on the head 3 times ( and my missus twice). The towels had been laundered but had red stains on them....looked like old nail polish.

So now I understand why they took payment instantly.....I would have walked straight back out of the door and went elsewhere had they not!!!!

So, if after reading this and you still want to book the Elmbank, please ask them to specify if you will be in the main hotel or the quite disgusting Lodge

GOOD LUCK

• Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Peter S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,223)

Reviewed April 20, 2013

This place was lovely! It has beautiful old style doors with keys. The facilities were suitable and the rooms were spacious. The staff were very helpful. Value for money. The location is a short walk from the main city centre with a quiet location.

1  Thank jw097
Reviewed April 19, 2013

The hotel was too old and definitely need refurbishment.

It took around 10-15 walk from york train station to the hotel. The outside was not that bad. The reception was OK, not so friendly but not bad. We stayed in room 112 wish located outside the main building of the hotel. It like the old garage!! Room 101 - 112 are located in this area, try to avoid it if possible. There is also a car park right outside our room, you could actually see light coming from the car if there is someone trying to park their car. I'm not sure if I book a hotel or a motel....

The room was OK, clean but old and not so comfortable. The worst thing is that the hot water was not stable, it come and go. We could not take a shower in the morning due to no hot water.

Overall, it was the cheapest hotel we could find in york but if we ever go to york again, we will not chose this hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid room 101 - 112
Reviewed April 15, 2013

From the outside this hotel doesn't look too bad and, as it's only a 15 minute walk into town, it's pretty well situated. York racecourse is just down the road and access from the A1 on the A64 is fine. However, the rooms themselves are a different matter! Although I was with a large group of people, I had a twin room to myself which was a good size, so no problems there. There was a lot of noise from the main road if I left the window open at night and the window frame was grubby, window dirty and the net curtain filthy. The duvet on the bed was barely big enough to cover it and was tucked in at the bottom, so it barely reached over my shoulders. If I had untucked it I would have had to have lain perfectly still as the duvet wasn't anything like big enough! I very soon found how thin the dividing walls were. Cigarette paper would come close! The athletic activities of the couple next door went on until after 1am and it was horrible having to hear it!! Then came the snoring!! The room the other side seemed to be a neighbour to my bathroom because it sounded as though they were it in! Hardly any sleep over two nights did little to brighten my equilibrium! On sanitary matters, the bathroom was scruffy and old fashioned. Corroded Taps were stained with lime scale and the shower over the bath had the smallest head I have ever seen. I always had to move around to catch the drips the flow was so poor. Overall, the public rooms like reception, bar and sitting room are ok but the landings where the rooms are, have scuffed wallpaper and the doors urgently need repainting. The food was OK, basic, nothing to write home about. Our included 'buffet' lunch was sandwiches and gateaux! We all expected a salad bar at the very least! But at least the sandwiches were fresh... The staff seemed helpful and attentive and friendly enough. Parking at the hotel is dreadful, but I guess any parking in York is at a premium. Would I recommend this hotel? No.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel unless you are desperate.
1  Thank VeneziaNewmarket
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed there one night and never again. It was like a hotel room out of prisoner cell block H, sink was in the bedroom, shower doors were very dirty along with shower head. Toilet wouldn't flush on the first attempt and constantly made noise throughout the night.

From the outside the hotel looked ok and the reception looked old and welcoming but when you leave there to get to your room it's like something out of the shining. Long corridors dirty carpets and cheap looking furniture.

Do not stay there

1  Thank Diddy D
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We wanted a peaceful and restful 2 days and the Elmbank Hotel was the perfect place.
Just a 10 minute walk from the centre of York it provided the perfect base to explore the city and all it's attractions.
The room was very comfortable, light and airy with the usual things you find in a hotel room.
The breakfast was delicious with a large enough choice to cater for the hungriest of travellers.
All together a fantastic stay, would definitely stay again.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

We stayed here over the Easter weekend, it was a last minute decision to come to York so we were not left with much choice of accommodation.I must admit that we were slightly worried after reading some of the reviews but despite this we had a fantastic time. The receptionist was friendly and extremely helpful, we arrived early but there was no issue with parking at the hotel, there is a small car park across from the entrance. We left the car and ventured into the centre of town which is a short stroll away, well within walking distance- about 5-10min.
The Hotel is old and therefore it is to be expected that some of the fittings are old- its part of the character! the large reception area with open fire is lovely! and for those of you that enjoy a drink the bar is open as long as you need it to be!! keep the night porter on side and he will serve you. Our rooms were situated on the back of the main building- two adjacent rooms which was perfect for our group of 4-103 and 104 I think. All in all we met some lovely people, the hotel staff were helpful and friendly and I would stay here again. Don't be put off by the reviews.

1  Thank lovetravellingx