“Unclean room rude staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Elmbank Hotel

Elmbank Hotel
Ranked #45 of 46 Hotels in York
Stanley, Falkland Islands
“Unclean room rude staff”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I would like to start by saying that the lobby looks fantastic with an open fire place and lots of leather chairs and wooden panels. It is a 15 min walk in to York city centre so is well located.

The free parking at the hotel is very limited. I was advised by staff to park in the centre of York and walk back to the hotel as it was "not their problem". I had to wait outside until a parking space became available.

The room that we stayed in had a large patch of mould growing in the room and the cups had clearly not been cleaned. Staff refused to assist again. Based on this blatant disregard for hygiene we decided not to eat or drink at the hotel (dinner or breakfast). I would not recommend this hotel at all.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel to get a good room
1 Thank Ry C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

We shall not be returning to this hotel and shall inform friends and relatives of the staff who was so rude to us. There were 4 of us and we checked in and paid fully for 2 rooms at check in, 2 adults to a room. As my Dad was not well, he stayed in and I left with 2 other friends to the city centre. On our return, one of the female staff at the reception simply told us rudely that one of us is not allowed to go our room. She did not even check her records or seeked clarification from us but rudely told us off we were not allowed to enter. Thereafter, when we insisted she check the hotel records, she realised she was wrong and did not even apologise to us for her rudeness and error. She just walked off and left us standing there. This is my first experience of hotel staff acting so rude and unprofessional to their guest.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these York hotels

Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Period building (Edwardian I'd guess) so obviously not all the fitting were sparkling and up to date. The room was basic but clean, plenty of towels, if I had one complaint it would be that there was a bit of a smell through out the hotel.
The free parking was a godsend as parking in York is very expensive. The hotel is walking distance from Micklegate Bar from which you can walk along the city walls to any where in the city.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

Although this is a historic building, with a charming lobby room & oak staircase leading down to a roaring (gas) fire for guests to relax and check their emails (it's the only place that has wi-fi in the hotel) the attitude of the hotel manager in the morning was unfortunately enough to ruin our stay.

I was sharing a twin room with a colleague for 2 days, but as we were both working around the country for a few weeks he decided to go home to see his wife & kids for the last night. Before leaving he secured his laptop bag to the radiator of the room using a wire lock, something he has always done whether at a hotel or at work when he has to leave the room. Having had his laptop stolen before he never takes any chances.

He thought check-out was at 12 (normal for most hotels) so arranged to be back at 11:50am to collect his laptop bag. Unfortunately at this hotel check out is 11, and I explained to the girl at reception that my colleague had mistakenly thought it was 12 but that he'd be back by 11:50.

To this girl, he had crossed a line few have dared cross before. She said in no uncertain terms that if this bag wasn't removed she was cutting the wire herself. I was shocked, not just at the way I was spoken to but at how she was so casual about damaging a guest's property, just like that.

I explained that the room could be easily cleaned as it's just a laptop bag. She shook her head, drew a deep breath and went to get the manager who when she emerged almost exploded with rage. "Remove the bag right now." I told them I couldn't as it was a combination lock. In any case, I couldn't understand the problem as the room can be easily cleaned. Plus in half an hour it'd be gone. "I've never, in 30 years experience, heard of anyone chaining a bag to the radiator", she said smiling & shaking her head in disbelief with the customer stood next to me to, I presume, get some affirmation of how ridiculous I, her guest, was.

I felt humiliated.

My colleague arrived at 11:45am and removed his bag. As we left, they stared at us and said nothing. These people need to get a grip on how they come across to customers else people might start to read more reviews like mine and go elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank torst35
Kingston upon Hull, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

we recently stayed in the hotel and would never stay again we had to bin the kettle it was minging the shower was dirty the shower door wouldnt shut there was no lock on bathroom door had to go to shop to buy wipes as room was so dusty.only 2 towels of which where hand towels luckly we had our own cracked tiles on bathroom floor.breakfast cheap sausages bacon hard coffee disgusting wasnt worth amount paid cold eggs draw curtain in bathroon put up with curtain wire

Room Tip: wouldnt recommend it at all tulip inn very good or lady anne middleton both exellent
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Kezzie N John H
Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

Just back from a one night stay in York. On arrival found it quite difficult to fit into the small onsite car park but eventually did and was grateful for the space at the time. Room we stayed in was a small ensuite double and was clean and basic with a basic bath/shower set up. Room was a bit chilly when arrived, as it was outside but as soon as we turned the radiator on it heated up very quickly and was comfortably warm after a few minutes.
Had a lovely night in York and came back to our lovely warm room, however another guest had arrived next door and as we settled down for the evening could hear everything our 'neighbour' had to say during his phone call, and then his snoring thereafter all night, very thin walls on the downstairs rooms at least!! After a comfortable but interrupted by snoring (for me anyway, my partner slept through it) nights sleep, we went for breakfast and was greeted in the dining area by a waiter who asked us what drinks we wanted and told us to help ourselves to the cereals, yogurt, fruit, juice etc and then he would bring us an english.. We helped ourselves and sat down to wait for our drinks and expected to have our order taken but after being given our hot drinks the waiter then brought out toast and then came out with two full english breakfasts. Although they looked lovely, if that's what you like, i would have prefered the option of being asked what i wanted for my breakfast as i don't like beans, hash browns, fried bread, or tomatoes. However, having eaten the bacon and eggs they were lovely and tasty, i would just have prefered to have been asked what i wanted for breakfast rather than presumed, as when the waiter took our plates he looked as though he was disappointed at the waste of food i didn't ask for! Other than that, he was pleasent and my partner enjoyed all his breaskfast.
Upon cheak out we asked if we could leave the car in the car park as we wanted another day in York without having to find a car park, the lady at reception said this was fine, i think because it was a Tuesday and not very busy. But we were gratefull of this and enjoyed our second day in York.
A clean, basic accommodation close to York (approx 10-15 minutes). Just be wary of the thin walls, for your own consideration and your 'neighbours'. I booked online and if you want to stay in this particular hotel, i'd go directly to their website as it turned out only £4 more each for a breakfast which was well worth it, just make sure you ask for exactly what you want.

1 Thank Lisa P
UK
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Reception staff hardly spoke on check in, very rushed and abrupt. I could not find the room so I ask for guidance. Receptionist took me to the room, did not speak until we got there and then pointed to a very gloomy corridor and said 'it's there' pointing. Did not even bother to show me in to the room! I walked in the room, the size of a cupboard! Did not look very clean, extremely hot and the room was so small I refused to spend the night and requested my money back. The hotel website makes the hotel look quite appealing for a 3 star. It was in need of a lot of modernisation and a throroughly good scrub! The hotel was very hot and very dark in the lounge, amazing what photos can do! I ended up sleeping on a hotel floor in a friends bedroom at another hotel, that is how bad it was! Ghastly! Dont go!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends