“Good bed for the night”
Review of Elmbank Hotel

Elmbank Hotel
Ranked #47 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I booked to stay at the Elmbank as I was only staying in York for a night and didn't want to spend a fortune on a single room, room only, for just the 1 sleep. My booking was made direct with the hotel and I found a discount code hidden on the website, which worked and saved me a little bit of money.

I have stayed at other hotels in the Cairn hotel group (Earl's Court, London and Royal Station, Newcastle) and have found them all to have an olde worlde charm, and this hotel is no exception.

The grand entrance hall and the cosy looking bar area were inviting, but as I was tired and aching from my apparently "First Class" train journey up from London, I chose to check-in, have a shower and go to bed.

Yes, the place is a bit of a maze, the floorboards were a bit creaky and the sound of doors opening and closing from the corridor outside, despite other residents' best efforts to be quiet, was a bit irritating in the morning, but the building is old !

Unfortunately, as I was on a budget and was up North to see relatives, I didn't avail of breakfast in the morning.

If I were to embark on the same sort of trip to see my relatives, I would definitely choose to stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Elmbank Hotel

Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed for three nights as a couple, were really impressed by the grand entrance hall. Really beautiful and a lovely welcome every evening when returning from a day out in York city centre. Breakfast was included in our board price and it was delicious, eat as much as you like bacon/eggs/sausages/beans/pastry/etc. Staff were friendly.

We had a set dinner one night too which was okay, a bit bland but for the price they are charging still good value for money. This was served in the breakfast room also which is painted with big pictures all over the wall which makes it feel really rustic and charming.

Our room was basic but did the job, it was clean and spacious - nothing fancy but comfortable.

About ten minutes walk from the city centre.

Off street parking was free which was handy.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Booked this hotel a couple of days before arrival in york, Disappointed that although there was food on sale they didnt start serving till 630. Inside hotel very old n grand with a lovely roaring fireplace, this said ,we were located at the rear of the hotel in "the chalets" walls paper thin no heating in bathroom and cups dirty as we went to make a brew . we were lucky our neighbours were quiet , decent location and free parking were plusses. Paid £70 for a saturday wouldnt know if this was a good deal or not ??

Room Tip: a room inside main hotel is a must
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Stayed for 1 night found the place within walking distance of city centre. Rooms were fine staff all friendly enough. Nice decor in main hall from reception with nice open fire, couldnt complain about anything.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights for a long weekend break. We had a very enjoyable time where the staff made us very welcome and were very friendly. Although they do not cater for Coeliacs(Gluten Free) they did all in their power to make sure I could eat OK. They called me a week or so before we arrived to let me know and give me a choice of bringing my own special bread. I didn't take any and definately didn't starve. The rooms could probable do with a threshen up but I have stayed in worse 5* hotels over the years. In all a good time and would go Back. Thanks to all the Staff.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very nice building and beautiful lounge area
Staff were helpful but not too happy or smiley, admittedly difficult to be so, late at night.
room was fine, shower was a bit weak but got me clean so no complaints
The maid was lovely and always greeted you with a nice big smile and a "have a wonderful day"
Overall, would probably stay again

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank phillyjimmybenny
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Elmbank Hotel put their room on three websites (late.com, booking.com, expedia and probably more) for 40 pounds / night but wouldn't rent the room out for the price they advertised and wanted 25 more pounds for one night! I had received request confirmation but had to chase up to see if our room was booked and were told by the website that Elmbank Hotel wouldn't rent us a room for the price online leaving us with a week to scramble to book a room elsewhere!

Room Tip: Don't believe the price and go through a website that confirms instantly your booking so the hot...
5  Thank TerriC1984