“a Very Enjoyable Stay in York!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Novotel York Centre

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #31 of 46 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2010

Hotel staff were excellent, very friendly and great with the Kids (10 & 7), they happily recommended places to visit and restaurants that were child friendly, but also offered good food - the italian just around the corner from the hotel is well worth a visit. Breakfast was also excellent, lots of choice, fresh and the cooked breajfast was piping hot.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments concerning your recent stay, I shall certainly pass these on to my team. With them, I look forward to welcome you and your family back on your next visit to the area. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
london
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

Somewhat out of date but well located by the river and short walk to city centre via the back path of the hotel . The Novotel is an excellent choice with family with 2 young children as you pay per room. Best value for broadband + movies at £10 for 24 hours rather than paying wifi connection per hours .
There is project for update and extension. Buffet breakfast is good with a decent selection , clean , friendly and helpful staff however food at the Elements restaurant was very poor - better eat out or have a take out . On site restaurant expensive and rather stale , even the usual meatball and spaghetti on the children menu was probably from the previous day . Omelette overcooked and dry, duck well cooked but tasteless . The banana split and icecream was good though but the icecream itself was already melting by the time it reached the table.The food in the restaurant was a real disappointment.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with us and please accept my apologies for the poor dinner standard experienced at the time. Please be assured that this is not typical of the high standard upon which we usually pride ourselves. I have spoken directly to my Head Chef who has assured me that the appropriate staff re-training is being undertaken with immediate effect to ensure that a similar experience does not re-occur in the future. Thank you again for your feedback which is invaluable to continue to improve the quality of our services. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
Manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2010

My partner and I booked this hotel for an overnight to celebrate my Birthday. We travel a lot and I have stayed in standard 3* hotels to 5* hotels and I am a really easy going traveller. When we checked into this hotel, the first impressions were good, the hotel has a nice lobby area and friendly check in staff etc. When we got to the room I was stunned at the condition/decor of the rooms, so much so I immediately called reception and asked if I could change rooms as I wasnt expecting the room I got at all, it also had a musty smell in the room. I was told that all the standard rooms had the same decor so there wasnt much point in changing, I asked if I could check out but was told that I had booked an Instant Purchase rate which obviously means it is non refundable. I asked to see the upgraded rooms and was showed around the Superior and Executive rooms by the Hotel Sales Manager. The Superior room was what I would expect of a standard room and I did say this to the Sales Manager and he agreed and said the hotel are due to renovate all the Standard Rooms to the Superior Room standard which I think he said would be done towards the end of the year? Definately worth checking with the hotel when this will be done if you are thinking of staying there. After being showed around, the Sales Manager then said he would allow me a full refund if I wanted to leave, which I did as I refused to pay more money to stay in what still was a fairly basic room anyway. The staff really were great I couldnt fault their co-operation and understanding. I really would not recommend this hotel until it has been refurbished. We then went on to stay at the Hotel 53 which was fantastic.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments and I am glad that the situation was resolved to your satisfaction.
Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
Derbyshire, Uk
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2010

We booked this hotel the night before our stay so at £109 per room (including breakfast but not including £6 car park charge per 24 hours) it wasn't great value however it was a last minute booking and as we were travelling with our 15 month old son we wanted somewhere child friendly. It certainly served it's purpose.

Reception staff could not be faulted, very informative and friendly. Also welcomed our little boy (with novotel soft toy) which made a refreshing change to some hotels!

Our room was reasonably large however it was looking dated/worn and for the price we paid I don't think it was good value. It was clean so no complaints there and was nice to have a separate toilet and bathroom. The travel cot was showing its age and was a little rickety but for 1 night, we weren't going to complain. We overlooked the river and other than the howling wind/rain that night we heard nothing of other guests (though it was a midweek stay). There are renovations taking place in the hotel during working hours (which we were not aware of when booking) but for the short time we were there it didn't bother us.

We made use of the small swimming pool with our little boy - a bonus as I believe its one of the few hotels in York with one. Pool area wasn't great - only 2 changing rooms at one end, no lockers and no showers. Also there is a steeply sloping floor which caught me out when holding our son which could have been dangerous but there was no mention of this. We also had the misfortune of being in the pool at the time of a fire alarm (caused by the refurbishment work) - none of us in there knew what to do until a member of staff eventually came through to tell us we would have to go outside and also bringing a foil blanket for my son! Thankfully she soon changed her mind and said we could stay put as there was definately no fire.

Breakfast next morning was great, again no complaints. A wide selection of hot/cold food and constantly being replenished. It was midweek but around 8.30 am and not overly busy. Most people did look like tourists.

Location was good, set back from the main road and about 10-15 minutes walk to the main square. It also meant that there was little road noise.

Would I stay again? Possibly if I could either get a better rate or a more modern/luxurious room for the money.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments concerning your recent stay with us. I was please to read that you have enjoyed the hotel facilities and services despite our refurbishment. I understand your comments regarding value for money and the City of York tends to be rather expensive at times and should you wish to stay with us on your next visit to the area, we do have a large number of Superior Rooms available (please look on our website for specifications). Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi