“Thoroughly enjoyable stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Spalding, Lincolnshire
“Thoroughly enjoyable stay”
Reviewed March 4, 2010

I can honestly say that this hotel doesn't do itself justice by looking at the websites & others reviews and pictures - it really is brilliant. We stayed in an executive room after being offered a very cheap upgrade and a reduced rate on breakfasts, you can grab yourself some deals without having to negotiate! The rooms are very spacious and accomodating, with very large TV and TV/FILM package and just generally a very modern and welcoming room to stay in (mind you, the en-suite was just a bit special!!). The pool is obviously a very nice bonus and don't be fooled by previous comments, it is an adequate size - how much water do you want to swim in?. There are a couple of negatives on cost - i.e the £5 parking for 24hours and the slightly strange tariffs on internet & films - if you are offered the £9.99 package, snap their hands off. Breakfast was very nice, but if you walk to the weatherspoons 3/5 minutes away, you'll probably get better value for money. Don't let this distract you though, the quality of service combined with a gorgeous room should be enough to sell this hotel to you!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, July 2, 2010
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments regarding your stay with us at Novotel York. With my team, I am very much looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area.
Ludovic Verzi, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Cheshire
Reviewed February 27, 2010

Came to York for a weekend's shopping and exploring. Was dissapointed to find a lot of the attractions were closed but still had a great time. We chose the hotel purely for location and the fact it has a pool. great place - typical chain hotel but we did find the staff very friendly indeed. We did not eat dinner in the resturant - but the breakfast was excellent so I am sure the dinner would have been too.
the rooms were spacious for an innercity hotel and very clean.

Would certainly reccoment this hotel if you want to do a shopping trip - within 10 mins walk of theshops.

Huddersfield
Reviewed February 25, 2010

My wife and I decided to take a couple of days off work to go Sun - Tue (21/02 - 23/02). We booked in advance and got an excellent deal with laterooms paying £71.20 per night for bed and breakfast in a superior room.

We arrived at around 12.30pm on Sunday and parked the car in the car park provided. (We were charged £5 per 24hrs for car parking despite it stating a £6 charge). I went to reception to let them know we had arrived and would return later to check in and was told that our room was ready and that we could check in early.

Rooms are spacious, decent bath and shower, seperate room for toilet, sofa and kingsize bed. There is a mini bar in the room but be wary of the usual extortionate minibar prices imposed although there were no issues with us putting our own drinks in. A decent size TV also have movies that you can pay for. While we were there, they had an offer for unlimited movies and internet for £9.99 for 24 hours.

Working with a limited budget, we booked this hotel over the likes of Premier Inn and the York Hilton (who also had good offers available when booking in January) mainly because the Novotel had a pool. We made use of this twice during our stay and never had problems with many others using it. If you pick your times right then you may even get the pool to yourself. As other reviewers have stated, the pool is quite small but that didn't ruin the experience by any means.

After spending all of the second day shopping and sightseeing, my wife and I decided to stay at the hotel for our evening meal. The food is of average quality but York have ample restuarants and there is no pressure to feel that you must eat within the hotel.

Overall there are plus and minus points for this hotel which are summarised as follows:

Plus Points:
Location: 12 minute walk to the centre of York.
Swimming Pool: Very few other places in York offer this.
Customer Service: All staff were very professional and friendly.
Cost: Surf the web for deals - we got a great deal with Laterooms.
Breakfast: Decent breakfast although my wife and I agreed that Premier Inn was better when we visited York last year.

Minus Points:
Room Temperature: We found the room very stuffy, even with the heating turned off and the window open which did affect our sleep.
Parking Fees: We knew in advance of the parking charges but the hotel is outside of the city walls and shouldn't therefore warrant such charges.
Cleanliness: A minor gripe but one that knocked our confidence on arrival at the place. One of the bath towels was not clean requiring us to find a cleaner and ask her to replace it. Although she was apologetic, this was something that should never have happened.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments regarding your stay with us at Novotel York. With my team, I am very much looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit to the area.
Scotland
Reviewed February 23, 2010

This hotel is a middle-of- the-road budget hotel masquerading as a high quality establishment.
Restaurant food is expensive and rather bland.
Also, reception staff tried to charge me again on departure when I had already paid in advance.
Positives were the pool and the central location.
Rooms were clean though uninspiring
Price was also reasonable( as long as they don't charge you twice)
Average in the extreme.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
LudovicVerzi, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, July 5, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi
East Dunbartonshire
Reviewed February 20, 2010

Stayed here for a long weekend with my husband and nine year old daughter and it was 'exactly as it said on the tin'. The room was very comfortable; the beds soft and cosy, the walk in shower a treat. The room was very stuffy during the night even with the window open.
We did not eat in the hotel but instead took some cereal and fruit and this sustained us until lunchtime. This was probably a good move as the restaurant was queued out in the morning and from what I have read elsewhere not very good value for money.
We enjoyed the smallish pool although it was so crowded that it was impossible to complete anything like a length without being splashed or battered. I suppose this is a hazard of travelling during school break- an occupational hazard as I am a teacher.
The hotel is very centrally located, just come out turn left and keep going up Picadilly until you are in the Square. The Roman Bath House pub here does an okay fish and chips for lunch and quite a nice soup - family friendly too. If you are travelling with fussy kids Frankie and Benny's is a short 5 minute walk and the little Italian Bella Roma is nice. It doesn't sell alcohol so if you want a glass of wine you need to take your own but the pasta was lovely. it was very quiet - we were the only people there one evening.
I don't really think you are going to get a cheap hotel in York of any decent standard. I'd love to know how the person who paid £75 got their room. Maybe they just booked well in advance. I did notice that the price was certainly steadily going up the nearer the date of our stay.
All in all it was a pleasant break and I could not fault the location of the hotel.

Leics
Reviewed February 18, 2010

The staff were really friendly although it was really busy with families. I thought it was very good value for £75 for 4 including breakfast. Pool not really suitable for young children.

Beverley
Reviewed February 17, 2010

I was very disappointed in this hotel; I have stayed here in the past around 4 years ago and enjoyed the stay. It got off to a bad start when I was told that I had to pay £5 a day to park our car in the hotel car park. I didn’t notice any reference to this on their website, when I booked the holiday. The hotel has had a refurbish but it does not seem to have improved the beds they where uncomfortable and rather cheep looking. The rooms are quite nice wardrobes are very small they are only meant for one person I think, as we struggled to get our clothes in and we where only there for two days. Also I had paid an extra £15 to have a broadband package but on the second day it wouldn’t work any more, it took numures phone calls to reception to get it working again and when they did it was very slow. The hotels cooked breakfast was very poor with under cooked sausages and the fried eggs where cold and had been sat there for ages; the continental breakfast was nice but the beagles where very hard. I only used the Elements restaurant in the hotel once as it was very expensive and the service was very slow, but the food was nice and of a good standard. I booked the hotel as we wanted to have a relaxing break but the hotel was quite noisy, on the Saturday night they had a disco and the music was so loud it could be heard all over the hotel. This hotel has changed a lot in the few years since I last stayed and I would not recommend it for a relaxing break, we will not be staying at this hotel again, it was very expensive in my opinion not to the standard I would expect.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. I was sorry to read that your stay did not meet your expectations and I wonder if you could call me on 01904 611 660. Kind regards, Ludovic Verzi