“our night out in york”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 11, 2012

hi again stayed at the novotel in york on sunday the ninth of december,this is a very nice hotel.when we arrived greeted by nice friendly receptionist,in afternoon went to the bar and a nice young barlady poured us a special drink for us and took our photograph at our table which was very nice of her much appreciated.bedroom maids pleasant,got taxi to town costing £5 with tip which isnt too bad but for abled bodies 10 minutes walk,free disabled parking or £8.50 per night able bodied parking.breakfast self service which was very nice,also given call from reception to see if all was ok or if we required anything dont hesitate to ask all in all very good

Room Tip: would ask for river view room
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Sylvia B
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 12, 2012

Good morning. Only a few words to thank you for your comments following your recent stay. I have shared your comments with the team and we are all proud to read you had a good experience with us. We also would like to wish you all the best for the end of the year!

Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just returned from an overnight stay in this hotel and found everything to be great. Upon settling into our room we were given a call from reception asking if our room was ok or if we needed anything which was a lovely touch. Room was nice, clean but perhaps a little soulless but would not stop me from returning.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank debsido
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2012

Good morning and thank you. It was a pleasure welcoming you to the hotel. May I take this opportunity to send you our best wishes for the festive season?

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here whist watching the first few days of the snooker UK championship in York. We originally booked in at the IBIS hotel, it had a leak from the flooding we were contacted prior to the trip to say we had been given a upgrade to this hotel with complimentary breakfast on all 3 days.

We are so glad this happened, we would not stay anywhere else again in York, the extra money is worth it. Breakfasts are wonderful, replenished regularly, bagels pasties, fruit, brads cheeses meats. Full English also available. I wanted poached eggs which was not on the menu, they were only happy to oblige!!

The service was amazing, made to feel special, everyone checking we are always o.k offered papers and the staff seemed like they genuinely cared, we had a late lunch here one day and I ordered a cocktail for my fiancé, the barman was so friendly and was happy to suggest custom made cocktails for us. My lunch was not amazing however everything else was so good, it didn't matter!!

The room was lovely and clean, bathroom modern toiletries replenished. Had a large bed which seemed to have a memory foam topper on the mattress very comfortable. Large nice sofa and plenty storage.

One tiny thing I should say, the lack of free wifi is really something that should be sorted out, even the Leeds Bradford airport hotel, budget of budget hotels has it!!! Come on Novotel!! Get with the times!!!!

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Gem-marie30
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2012

Good morning and thank you for your feedback. I am obviously very pleased to read you had a great time whilst visiting York for the snooker Championships. I will share all your comments with the team. With regards to WIFI, we have served notice with our current provider and should be in a position to better manage our WIFI as of the middle of 2013.

I would like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best for the end of the year and look forward to seeing you again next December for the Snooker!

Reviewed December 3, 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sorrento54

Reviewed December 2, 2012

the hotel is conveniently based just inside York. We enjoyed disabled parking right outside the hotel for free, you have to pay otherwise. the check in was swift and our request for a bath not a shower was met with 100% satsifaction. the room layout was v.good with nice size tele and an asian style continental bathroom. the mirror was large and i was able to have a good, clean precise shave. my partner enjoyed the modern bath facility. The room service was prompt polite and tastey. My partner was less than impressed with her homemade burger which was spicy yet not identified that way on the menu. We have had good experiences with the hotel before with room service quality so cannot grumble much there. The one bad part of the stay was the really hard mattress and poor sleep we endured as a result. needs looking into Novotel!

this aside the stay was good value and we would still return as a base for shopping at the outlet village again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Good afternoon. I would like to thank you for your comments and am looking forward to welcoming you back for your next shopping spree at the nearby Designer Outlet. I have taken note of your feedback with regards to the mattress and have passed on your comments to the chef for the burger being too spicy.
Thank you once again. Wishing you all the best for Christmas!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

A nice hotel, comfy bed and pillows which are a must! (My double bed was two singles made up together, not perfect but as I was on my own I didn't mind) Nice sized room with everything you want really. No free Internet in the lobby areas which I found astounding - need to address this to compete with other hotel chains I feel. Also, the TV isn't with the full free view channels that I also expect nowadays. I'm not paying so okay, I would expect more for a personal stay.

• Stayed: December 2012

Good morning and thank you for your valuable comments. I am pleased to read you found the room to your taste. With regards to Internet, we are expecting to take delivery of two IMAC stations anytime now which will be free to use in the lounge. In addition, we should be in a position to offer free WIFI by June 2013.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write a comment. Wishing you all the best for the festive season!

Reviewed November 30, 2012

First of all we stayed in this hotel 2 years ago and really enjoyed it as it was our silver anniversary. Decided to stay again for wifes birthday this time booking an executive room. Sent them an email in advance explaining why we are staying for a 2nd time.
Check in was quite speedy considering we were there 2 hours early.
Entered room 111 to find the smallest executive room we have ever stayed, I only believed it was an executive room as it had a sign on the door.
Wardrobe as wide as an office filing cabinet had 5 hangers for the 2 of us no draws just 1 small cupboard beneath the TV, Toilet as you walk in the door and bathroom next to the bed. So after using the toilet you had to walk through the room to the bathroom to wash your hands. The bathroom had disposable plastic cups rather than glasses
First night surprise to have porter knock on the door at 6.30pm while getting ready to go out for the night. he had a small plate of 4 cakes smallest cakes you could find looked like 1 cake had been sliced in 4. With the cakes was an envelope with name on it. Thought at first what a nice gesture for my wifes birthday. How wrong the envelope had a letter congratulating my wife and I celebrating our silver anniversary 2 years late. still a nice thought until I bit a cake and almost broke my tooth, they were rock hard.
The plates left in room for 2 days

Breakfast was booked on arrival with a price of £13.95 per person, very expensive. First morning must admit food was very nice replenished quite quickly. Second morning was completely different, food was cold or under cooked. Beans ran out asked to be replenished 10mins later they arrived only to be cold.

Coffee tea and Nespresso machine(only executive rooms) in room no biscuits first day 2nd day biscuits left which were smashed in to crumbs anf left on the tray

The biggest shock was when checking out they had charged us for use of the hotel car park. No mention when booking or when checking in and the cost for 2 nights stay was £17.00.

I will add we booked this through the Accor hotels website and got it at a reduced rate £50.00 per night room only. Which we thought was a bargain. Big mistake. Im glad I didnt pay the nightly rate which was advertised on the screen behind the reception desk. £189.00 pn.

The hotel does have some good points
The bed were really comfortable and the staff were extremely helpful in fact the staff probably are the best thing at this hotel

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank HAIRYSPUD

Good morning and thank you for your honest feedback. I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay as much as you did 2 years ago and will investigate your comments. the car parking has been chargeable for many years now and I am surprised you were not aware of it. We will however make sure we do better inform people at the time of booking. With regards to your cakes, I would like to apologize for the poor quality; we aimed to surprise you as you clearly mentioned on your booking the purpose of your visit and I guess it did back fire as it became a source of disatisfaction. Thank you once again for taking the time to let me know about your stay giving me an opportunity to take the necessary steps to better serve you in the future.