“Good basic business type hotel”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
“Good basic business type hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Had to change our booking for a hotel in York at last moment and this was perfectly adequate for a short stay. As one would expect from a Novotel, the hotel was a standard business type place with no character at all but very good for somewhere to put one's head down . Close to town but as I use a stick for walking, we still needed a taxi to the centre. At roughly £5 per trip this was fine.. Room was clean and a good size. Amused at only being given one teabag for two people !! Breakfast was expensive but plenty of choice. Surprised at having to pay £8.50 per night to park in the hotel car park considering the cost of our two nights but suppose this is a reflection of the cost of parking in York. The hotel staff were very pleasant and we thoroughly enjoyed our visit to York. Would have preferred a hotel with a little more charm but as we had little time to choose this was our own fault. Would recommend for overnight stops.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Good morning. Thank you very much for giving us some valuable feedback following your recent stay. I have passed on your comments to the whole team and we all would like to take this opportunity to wish you all the best for the festive season.

Christophe Ughetto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (360)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

Stayed here for one night 15/11. Hotel is in a great central location and only a 10 minute walk to the centre of York.
Welcoming reception and secure car park with £8.50 cost.
Room was very clean and modern, plenty of tea and coffee provided.
Bed was comfortable and no noise to disturb.
The only fault was there was no hot water either in the evening or the morning, I didn’t report it in the evening as I assumed it was perhaps due to over usage, when I did mention it on departure I got the impression that was the norm.
The breakfast was fresh and plentiful and staff very efficient.
It was a shame there was no hot water as for me that is a basic must have in any hotel and a reason why I would be unlikely to book this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Good morning and thank you for your comments. I am very surprised to read about the lack of hot water and will be investigating this matter straight away. On a positive note, I am delighted to read you did find our staff to be efficient.

Even though you mentioned you would not give us another go for your next visit, could you please contact me directly on Christophe.Ughetto@accor.com when you next plan to come to York? I would love to have the opportunity to have you around again.

Minnesota
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

I was in York for one day on business. The person I was traveling with recommended this hotel. The location was acceptable - just south of the tourist attractions such as the Minster and the Keep but still a good 10 minute walk. I asked for a room with a view and got a view of the canal behind the hotel, which was very pretty (though after a short period of storms and flooding, a bit on the musky side).

This is a basic business hotel and one could be anywhere in the world, really, instead of "York, England". This is why the review is not as strong as it could be. Perhaps others might see this as a strength. Small affects such as period paintings or a town guide would've been helpful. As such, I can recommend this hotel if you're planning on a very short stay but can't recommend if it you're looking for something with character.

The staff was terrific and the room was clean, modern, and well-spaced. The sleep quality was good but for whatever reason I could not find an alarm clock in the room.

Room Tip: Is there an alarm clock in the room? I didn't see one. Get a room with a view of the canal.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank larry_nyc
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Good afternoon. I would like to thank you for your comments following your recent stay with us. I am delighted to read about our staff and will certainly pass on your feedback. I have also noted your other comments and would like to thank you once again as it will give us an opportunity to look into a city guide with our local partners. Finally to answer your question with regards to the alarm clock, there is one available through the TV. I will however ensure our reception team are making people aware on how to access it or simply programm the call on behalf of our customers.

I would also like to wish you all the best for the festive season which is only a few weeks away now!

Manchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at the York Novotel during October Half Term. The room was spacious enough for 3 of us.

The best part was breakfast, it surpast our expectations. There was fresh fruit salad, cereals, toast etc and a cooked breaskfast also. The breakfast waitress gave outstanding service.

The pool was rather cold though.

The hotel is located ideally for going out in York, it's about 5 mins walk

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TeachersPet78
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for your comments. I have passed them on to the team. We are all very pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and all hope to see you again in the future.

Whitby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Great position especially for the Barbican Theatre. Hotel reception very friendly and helpful. Hotel very nice only observation hallway carpets looking tired but all in all a very nice hotel.Parking very good and good value considering prices in York, overnight parking and a days shopping in York car park £8.50. Will be staying again.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Good morning and thank you for taking the time to write a comment. I am glad to read you had a good time. I hope you equally had a great time at the Barbican Centre! I have taken note of your comments with regards to the corridors and can confirm that work will start in January during the low season. Thank you once again for your valuable feedback.

Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

I booked a room for my son and I. Sat nav was a little out, but we found the hotel. As my son's into history we visited many of the sites, too many to mention. The town was full of shoppers and a great pedestrian shopping zone. Can't recommend York enough. The hotels clean and has a swimming pool. Brilliant. The staff are superb. Thanks Novotel.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank MickeyC0970
Good morning and happy birthday to your son! I am extremely pleased you had a good time in York. There is so much to do! I am also delighted to read your comments about our staff and will share them with the whole team. We are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel!

east yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

Our daughter booked a 1 night stay at this hotel and tickets for us to see Jools Holland at the Barbican for an early christmas present. What an excellent choice, the hotel is a few minutes walk to the Barbican and only about 8 minutes to the city centre. We arrived at the hotel 2 hours before checkin time and were given a room straight away , so we parked our car and headed into York to do some shopping and have lunch. We were told that the car park charge of £8.50 would last until midnight the following day which would give us another full day in York if we so wished. The superior room was spacious and clean and had everything we needed for our stay.
As we had a late lunch we could only manage a starter from the bar menu which was excellent before we headed to our concert. The breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice. All the staff were very helpful and friendly and I would say that the hotel is better than some 4* we have stayed in. Overall a very enjoyable stay and a great night at the Barbican.

1 Thank joyEastYorkshire
Good morning and thank you for your comments. Your comments have been shared with the team and we would all want to thank you once again. It has been a pleasure having you around and I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Thank you.