“Friendly staff, good food”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #32 of 46 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Friendly staff, good food”
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Stayed here for a weekend in mid October. Upgraded to a larger room as we had 2 grandkids with us. The room was very comfortable and ideal for a short visit. Although located near the lifts there was no noise, in fact the corridor was quite peaceful although the hotel was quite busy. The hotel is child friendly and has a nice pool and also a games area near the bar/reception with 2 Wii games consoles. Had dinner in the hotel both nights as we were tired after a long day walking round the sites and the meals were good especially the kids meals. A special thanks the John ( Juan from Calvia) the waiter and Paul the Chef who took the time to speak to us and made a special desert for the kids. The breakfast is buffet and has an excellent selection of hot and cold food and proper fruit juices. The only downside was the price of drinks at the bar a large gin and a small tonic was over £10. The location was good just outside the old walls and within easy walking distance of the town centre.

1 Thank Mabozaritchie
ChristopheUghetto, Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Good aftrenoon,

Thank you for your comments and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you soon and look forward to welcoming you gagain.

Kind regards

Zak Mouafik
Operations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Durham
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I recently visited York with my daughter and grandchildren for a half term break. We chose to stay at the Novotel as it was promoted as suitable for families and it surely was. We had a superior room which was ideal for our needs, very clean, warm and comforatble. Ok it was not a large space when the sofa bed was pulled out, but who spends lots of time in their room when on holiday? Certainly not us when there are so many interesting things to see. What we did like especially was the sofa bed makes up as two singles.
The hotel is in a great location for the city centre [10 minutes walk]. We walked to the rear of the building, turned left, crossed the blue bridge and then walked along the banks of the Ouse to reach the sights of York. A beautiful walk through the trees in full autumn foliage.
My grandsons enjoyed playing the wii and x-box in the lobby while we had a pre-dinner drink and used the pool after a long day visiting museums. Yes it was busy but it was school holidays and as such to be expected.
The buffet breakfast was excellent and we chose to eat in the hotel each evening for the family buffet which we found very good value.......£46 for two adults and two children with a range of starters, mains and desserts as well as the chocolate fountain!!! It was the little touches that endeared the hotel to us as a family venue. The miniccino [hot chocolate with whipped cream] and smoothie [chocolate or vanilla shake] served at the end of the meals to the children was a winner as far as we were concerned. Little touches mean a lot.
However what we thought was the 'icing on the cake' for our little holiday was the friendliness and helpfulness of all of the staff. Everyone we spoke to was pleasant, lovely with the children but still professional and efficient ; even those made up as Halloween witches!! Special thanks to them.
We would not hesitate to return to this hotel.

1 Thank holidayloverDurham
Good afternoon,
Thank you for your feedback which I will share with our staff and no doubts they will over the moon with it. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards

Zak
Operations Manager
Liverpool
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Stayed here recently and found it to be perfectly fine for a family weekend away visiting the sights. The location is only a short walk away from the centre. Rooms were clean and reasonably sized. The breakfast was good with a big choice. I initially thought breakfast was going to be charged at £14 which seemed steep but when we checked out it was charged at £10 per adult and children ate free which was fine. There is a Wetherspoons nearby if you require a cheaper breakfast.
The swimming pool is not the largest and has only two changing rooms and one shower so we tended to just go back to the room. It is also quite cold.
We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant for dinner as it seemed expensive.
You do get charged for parking at £8.50 per day but most York hotels seem to do this if they even have parking. We were happy with the stay and would return again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Good morning. I am delighted to read you had a good time in York and with us. It has been a pleasure welcoming you and I hope we will see you again very soon.

Derby, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hotel is located a few minutes walk from York Centre. The rooms were spotless and staff were friendly and helpful.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but had a good fry up at the Wetherspoons round the corner.

I would definitely return if visiting York again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Good morning and a big thank you for your comments. I do appreciate you taking time to leave a note following your recebt stay with us and we are all looking forward to having you with us again in the future. Thank you.

Whiston, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Novotel is located just 5 minutes walk from the historic city centre, in a peaceful area along the river. The parking was cheap and the breakfast...a classic Novotel one, so very good.
On the other hand, I can't say that I enjoyed all the children, as I went with my wife for a peaceful getaway. The water in the pool was too cold for me and I could also say the bathroom could have benn better cleaned up. I am not sure if the air conditioning was working and the shower cap was leaking...it took us a while to figure that out. All in all, the hotel has a good value for the money, because it wasn't expensive at all.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vladsomesan
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Good morning. Only a few words to thank you for your comments. It is true the hotel can get very busy with children during the school half terms. I have noted your points with regards to the cleanliness in the bathroom and will go through these with our Head Housekeeper. I shall also pass on your comments with regards to the breakfast. Thank you once again and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Midlothian, Scotland
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Cheerful, helpful reception staff and no waiting at reception. Room was ready before scheduled check-in time and was spotless. Breakfast buffet was quite varied between cooked hot stuff, cold meats, pastries, cereals and fruit. Dining room staff were very pleasant, always had a smile. Not sure what the criteria is for being handed a morning paper, seemed erratic (maybe I'm only raising this as I didn't get one!). They advertise as being convenient for the city centre but its a good 20-25 minutes walk so the centre isn't exactly on their doorstep. Taxi to centre is around 4.50.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Good morning and thank you very much for your comments. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we willl have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Christophe
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

We have just stayed at the Novotel for 4 nights and are feeling a bit disappointed as we were here 2 years ago with our young son and had a great stay then, however this time was different. On the plus side the reception area has been refurbished with more space for the new wii and xbox (which our son loved) as has the pool area (but it was still freezing as it was 2 years ago- why can't that be changed?), breakfast was fine and the cocktails were very good! The barman was very helpful and made a mean cosmopolitan. Staff generally were polite and helpful.

We paid extra for an "executive" room (we stayed in a standard one previously which we had no complaints about) but I am not sure it was worth it. The storage space was very limited with a tiny wardrobe space meaning we ended up living out of suitcases which wasn't great over 4 days. The room itself was snug to say the least, I am not sure how a family of 4 would have managed. Considering we booked well in advance the room wasn't made up for 3, we had to ask for an extra bed, bedding and towels. The extra bed was only made up with a sheet and blanket, I had to ask for a duvet only to find I ended up making the bed myself. Each day thereafter towels were only left for 2 of us, you can get fed up of asking..... Considering the place is full of families you would expect they would be used to having more than 2 in a room.
Going back to the room I expected free wifi but it was broadband and it wasn't free- I am wondering why we bothered with the executive room. It was handy having a large bathroom with seperate shower but it took up so much space I am not sure it was worth it. The room itself although generally clean was a bit tired and grubby in places.
Then to top things off the hot water broke before we could get showers as we decided to use the pool in the morning one day (what is it about me and hot water- see another review in Nottingham of mine), an engineer had to come from Birmingham so knowing this would take an age we had to all have cold showers.
I did speak with reception about these issues, apparently all rooms are the same size so no point in changing, so due to this and the hot water issue they did waive our car parking fees (that is an issue in itself as I think it's a bit excessive to charge for parking as not all city centre hotels do) and a couple of drinks.

Overall this has the potential to be a good hotel, we did come back so did like it, due to location and as it is family friendly but a few things are letting it down. Due to this I am not sure whether we will return and we do come to York at least once a year.

Room Tip: Don't think an executive room is worth paying extra for.