“Good location, clean and friendly”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 29, 2012

The hotel is located a few minutes walk from York Centre. The rooms were spotless and staff were friendly and helpful.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel but had a good fry up at the Wetherspoons round the corner.

I would definitely return if visiting York again.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Good morning and a big thank you for your comments. I do appreciate you taking time to leave a note following your recebt stay with us and we are all looking forward to having you with us again in the future. Thank you.

Reviewed October 26, 2012

The Novotel is located just 5 minutes walk from the historic city centre, in a peaceful area along the river. The parking was cheap and the breakfast...a classic Novotel one, so very good.
On the other hand, I can't say that I enjoyed all the children, as I went with my wife for a peaceful getaway. The water in the pool was too cold for me and I could also say the bathroom could have benn better cleaned up. I am not sure if the air conditioning was working and the shower cap was leaking...it took us a while to figure that out. All in all, the hotel has a good value for the money, because it wasn't expensive at all.

2  Thank vladsomesan
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2012

Good morning. Only a few words to thank you for your comments. It is true the hotel can get very busy with children during the school half terms. I have noted your points with regards to the cleanliness in the bathroom and will go through these with our Head Housekeeper. I shall also pass on your comments with regards to the breakfast. Thank you once again and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

Cheerful, helpful reception staff and no waiting at reception. Room was ready before scheduled check-in time and was spotless. Breakfast buffet was quite varied between cooked hot stuff, cold meats, pastries, cereals and fruit. Dining room staff were very pleasant, always had a smile. Not sure what the criteria is for being handed a morning paper, seemed erratic (maybe I'm only raising this as I didn't get one!). They advertise as being convenient for the city centre but its a good 20-25 minutes walk so the centre isn't exactly on their doorstep. Taxi to centre is around 4.50.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Good morning and thank you very much for your comments. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us. I hope we willl have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Christophe

Reviewed October 23, 2012

We have just stayed at the Novotel for 4 nights and are feeling a bit disappointed as we were here 2 years ago with our young son and had a great stay then, however this time was different. On the plus side the reception area has been refurbished with more space for the new wii and xbox (which our son loved) as has the pool area (but it was still freezing as it was 2 years ago- why can't that be changed?), breakfast was fine and the cocktails were very good! The barman was very helpful and made a mean cosmopolitan. Staff generally were polite and helpful.

We paid extra for an "executive" room (we stayed in a standard one previously which we had no complaints about) but I am not sure it was worth it. The storage space was very limited with a tiny wardrobe space meaning we ended up living out of suitcases which wasn't great over 4 days. The room itself was snug to say the least, I am not sure how a family of 4 would have managed. Considering we booked well in advance the room wasn't made up for 3, we had to ask for an extra bed, bedding and towels. The extra bed was only made up with a sheet and blanket, I had to ask for a duvet only to find I ended up making the bed myself. Each day thereafter towels were only left for 2 of us, you can get fed up of asking..... Considering the place is full of families you would expect they would be used to having more than 2 in a room.
Going back to the room I expected free wifi but it was broadband and it wasn't free- I am wondering why we bothered with the executive room. It was handy having a large bathroom with seperate shower but it took up so much space I am not sure it was worth it. The room itself although generally clean was a bit tired and grubby in places.
Then to top things off the hot water broke before we could get showers as we decided to use the pool in the morning one day (what is it about me and hot water- see another review in Nottingham of mine), an engineer had to come from Birmingham so knowing this would take an age we had to all have cold showers.
I did speak with reception about these issues, apparently all rooms are the same size so no point in changing, so due to this and the hot water issue they did waive our car parking fees (that is an issue in itself as I think it's a bit excessive to charge for parking as not all city centre hotels do) and a couple of drinks.

Overall this has the potential to be a good hotel, we did come back so did like it, due to location and as it is family friendly but a few things are letting it down. Due to this I am not sure whether we will return and we do come to York at least once a year.

Room Tip: Don't think an executive room is worth paying extra for.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for your comments and for raising your concerns as it will give us an opportunity to improve on our service delivery. I can reassure you that your comments are taken seriously. Thank you once again.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here for a short weekend break. Room was a good size but dated. Didn't like having the toilet separate from the main bathoom as no handwashing facilities in with toilet-very unhygienic as you need to touch the door before you can get to the sink. Not a great selection in the restaurant but the breakfast made up for that. Not happy about the car park as the barrier was open all weekend so no security - complete rip off. Thankfully, the bed was comfortable. The corridors leading to the bedrooms badly need updated.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river were quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2012

Good morning and thank you very much for your comments.Your points have been noted and will be investigated especially with regards to the car park barrier. Thank you once again.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Family room for 4 was fine, Breakfast was fantastic with plenty of choice for everyone. Extremely disappointed with pool - water was FREEZING!!!! Was reported to staff they came in and done a reading of pool area tempature but not a water reading for some strange reason! This was the main reason we booked to stay at this hotel. We wanted somewhere to relax with the children after our days sight seeing. We did not use the pool again on this visit.

Hotel had good location and was in excellent walking distance to the town centre and tourist attractions. Was disappointed that you are charged to park in the hotel grounds and felt this was rather cheeky considering we had paid over £200 to stay.

Overall we enjoyed our visit to York but the Novotel have a few things they need to work on before we stay with them again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Good morning. I just wanted to thank you for taking the time to write a few words and thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to read the water in the pool was too cold and can assure you that we have fully investigated your concerns. Thank you once again.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

we stayed at novotel for two nights,we found that nothing was too much trouble for all the staff including gregory who was particuarly attentive and knowledgeable.ok the car park fee is pricey but at least your car is safe as the parking area has barriers.this hotel is perfect for city centre,only short walk away.our stay was midweek and there were conferences in the hotel but had no problems either at the bar or with the restaurant.we had a superior room which we found comfortable,large comfy bed,nice modern bathroom.overall we had a very relaxing break and shall be returning soon.

1  Thank Anita B
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

Good morning. Thank you very much for writing a comment on Tripadvisor following your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to read you had a good time with us and am looking forward to seeing you again in the future. I will also personally share your comments with Gregory.

Thank you once again.