“No better than average”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #31 of 47 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed October 9, 2012

I booked a "superior" room for myself and my daughter for £169 on a Saturday night with a queen size bed and a sofa bed. I think we were upgraded to an executive room.

On the positive side the location is ideal for visiting central York and the room we had was a decent size.

Unfortunately nothing else was compatible with the price paid.

On arrival there was noone at reception. Having gone to the bar to find someone a couple of people came out to apologise and after a while someone served us.

We went up to the room commenting on how the trim around the lift is held on with gaffer tape.

Although I had requested the second bed to be made up when I booked it took two further discussions with reception to get this done.

The sound insulation is poor and you could hear people talking and using the bathroom in the neighbouring rooms.

The room was hot and the markings around the thermostat were worn away so you couldn't see how it was set.

The cooked breakfast was at best luke warm with deep fired mushrooms and deep fried sausages - yum. The continental meat selection was a single slice of salami folded into quarters.

Wifi is about £10 extra for the night and parking another £8.50 charged when you leave.

I've seen various references to executive rooms including free films, free wifi, complimentary papers and complimentary water but there was no evidence of any of these.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2012

Good morning and thank you for your honest feedback. I am obviously disappointed to read about your experience and will share your comments with the rest of the team to ensure things you mentioned do not occur again in the future. Please do feel free to contact me on Christophe.Ughetto@accor.com so that I can get more details of your room number and assess if indeed you were staying in an executive room.

Thank you once again for your comments and I am awaiting your reply.

Christophe Ughetto

Write a ReviewReviews (2,581)

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 2 nights with a family of 4 in one room. Yes, it was cramped in the room with the pull out bed out, but I forgive that as they could also not allow 4 people in a room. The lounge area is the best thing about this hotel, because you can have a drink at the bar while the kids play in the play area and with the Xbox Kinect (a hit) and the Wii.
We only had food for the kids one night as we went out the others. The kids menu is as many others are and reasonable value. They were kind enough to bring it outside because it was a nice day, but I was a bit disappointed after leaving and passing by the patio quite a few hours later that it had not been cleared away.
I felt the bar was a little pricey and the bartender had dirty fingernails (2 days in a row!), had his shirt hanging out of his trousers and was very clumsy with the drinks - but he was very friendly.
The wifi charge, as others have indicated, is too high.
We did not try the pool as I'd forgotten the hotel had one! You can see it however from the lounge and it's very small. Not one for lengths but a good one for kids.
I had asked for a recommendation for a babysitter and we were given the name of an agency that served us well.
Would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Good morning and a thank you for your comments following your stay with us. I am very pleased to read you had a good time and would consider us again for a future stay. I have also personally shared your comments with regards to our barman and can reassure you this will not happen again. Once again, thank you so much for your valuable feedback.

Reviewed October 5, 2012

This hotel was included with our tour. Instead of a room with two twin beds, there was a king and a queen sofa bed. This left NO room for suitcases! The toilet would not flush properly, and after 3 calls to reception, a young lady came and showed us and intricate multiple pumping flushing technique. Elevator at our end of the hallway was for linen only, and the stairs did not go to the ground level, only out the back door into a back parking lot.

The room, even with the heat completely off, was roasting. We had the window as far as it could be all night, and still the room was very overly warm.

They were also desperately understaffed. One bartender for a group dinner of 45 people, and then once we were shown the buffet, we were ignored. No tea, coffee or cleared plates. Breakfast was no better. If short staffing is part of this hotels cost cutting measures, they should be aware how much the service is affected. Find another hotel!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Sue92130

Good morning and thank you for your comments. I am very disappointed to read you did not enjoy your stay with us. With regards to the bed situation, this was clarified when contracts were agreed with your tour provider. We shall however investigate further in order to avoid any reoccurrence in the future. Lifts and stairs are available for customers and are located at the other end of the corridors. The fire escape routes leading to the back of the hotel and linen lifts are indeed at the far end of the corridors. With regards to your comments with the level of staff in place at night time, we will once again further investigate as there are no cost cutting exercise taking place there. This survey being anonymous, it is very difficult to know when you actually stayed with us, so please feel free to contact me directly on Christophe.Ughetto@accor.com to give me further details and giving me the opportunity to take the right steps to improve on our sevice delivery. Finally, dealing with large amounts of groups throughout the year, I can only see this situation as a one off as comments from tour customers are usually very good. I would like to apologise for that once again.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

We arrived in Novotel York at a time when York had its worst flood in 30 years. We were so apprehensive about going there, but even while arriving earlier,there rooms were ready, and the hotel was spared from any flooding in the city. The room was just right, they had a confortable queen with a sofa bed, separate toilet room, bath with rain shower which was good and modern design. wifi were all chargeable. We had buffet dinner and breakfast which was good, From there we could easily walk to the city center , as the rain had stopped. The staff were extra attentive and provided good service. I would definitely go back to this place and the hotel.

2  Thank John C

Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for your comments. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your break with us despite the floods in the city centre. I will share your comments with the team and hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

Very friendly and helpful front desk staff. Nice, clean room, quiet, quite spacious, really nice shower and vanity area. Toilet room is separate from shower/vanity. Stayed for 4 nights with no problems whatsoever. Very convenient to walking the entire city. Just outside the city walls. Bed was comfy. Windows opened for nice, fresh air. My only thumbs down was the wifi service. It was pricey (9.99 for 24 hours), and upon connection, you can have the access emailed or text messaged to your phone. My phone was not in service in the area, and how could I connect to my email with no wi-fi. Front desk helped by calling the service provider who gave me the access code over the phone. Internet computers also available in the lobby for a fee. Would probably stay there again though.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank i_heart_roadtrips
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2012

Good morning and thank you so much for your comments. I am very happy to read you had an enjoyable break with us and had time to visit York. I will share your comments with the team and have noted your comments with regards to the WIFI. We are currently serving notice on our current contract and hope to have our new one up and running extremely soon giving us more freedom to manage this service and make it as hassle free as possible for our guests,

Thank you once again.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Rooms very quiet -basic good comfort --clean -very polite staff -very good breakfast.
Parking a ripoff!! More than 12% bill! Previously included. No wonder car park less than half full! Has not changed much over the years but attributes of good location and clean modern surroundings still hold.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Good morning and thank you for your comments. I am disappointed to read your feedback with regards to the car park but happy to note that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you once again for taking the time to write following your recent stay.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed one night in a superior room,however I did double check with reception after seeing the room that we had in fact got what we had booked as it was expensive for the quality and condition of the room.

The room is basic, with a large bed which is quite low,there is a dressing table/work top which has seen better days there is a television and a mini bar filled with extortionately priced Pringles and soft drinks. Our room had a sofa too which was poorly upholstered and we did notice that something had been spilled on the dressing table at some point and the liquid had run all down the wall and stained it,it looked scruffy.

The bathroom is bright and roomy with a good power shower (no bath) and an extra raindrop shower head. The toilet is located separately as you enter your room but it is very very small.

We had a night out in York and on our return decided to have a nightcap in "the 24 hour bar".
There was nobody at the bar and the only staff on the reception (night manager and receptionist both male) just stood there looking over at us, not making any attempt to come over and ask if we wanted serving,in fact I had to call him over and ask why the bar looked closed when we had been informed at check in that it was a 24 hours bar.
All the spirits had been removed and all the beer taps had been dismantled and were soaking in a nearby glass.

The very small bottles of beer are more expensive than even the most up market bars we have drank in so we opted for tap beer which was slightly mote expensive but better value for money.
The man didn't have a clue he started to put lager in bitter glasses till we pointed this out, in fact as a licensee I could see that he had had none or very bad training in how to serve drinks. they were all served flat and I even offered to show him how to serve.

Two gents came in and wanted coffee to be told the machine was off so they left,
then a party of about eight people arrived and he couldn't cope, they were unhappy that there were no spirits available as some of the men wanted brandy and a couple of the ladies wanted vodka and gin, during this time the "manager" was just running backwards and forwards not doing very much at all.

Then some gents from overseas ordered bitter and it was served so flat it was embarrassing they were actually pointing out the lack of a head on the pints, then he needed change again and had to run over to reception then when even more people arrived the "manager" had to jump behind the bar to help out and he wasnt any better at pulling pints and then he had to run over for change again it all seemed very Basil Fawlteyish.

Novotel could at least make sure their staff are trained in all aspects of bar/reception if they are expected to cover.
The bar here, isnt the most inviting place to be honest and the lack of skills and interest shown by these two individuals (not once did they smile or try and make conversation) sums this hotel up in a nutshell.
This hotel would be low on my list of places to stay when we visit York again.

1  Thank Janice R

Good afternoon. Thank you very much for your comments. I am obviously disappointed to read about your experience at night time in our bar and have communicated this to our night team. I would like to reassure you that we will look at the training given to our night team.