“Family break with children” 4 of 5 stars

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #30 of 47 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
London
“Family break with children”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2012

We spent 3 nights during the school half term at the Novotel, York. The location was excellent, being right next to the river and a short walk into the City centre. The rooms were clean and reasonably sized. The staff were helpful and courteous. There was enough variety at breakfast to keep all of us happy, although we ate once in the evening as part of a buffet deal and the food choice was a little limited. I would recommend taking a 5 minute walk to the Mason's Arms, which is family friendly, the food is superb and comes in excellent portions.
The children enjoyed playing the Wii in the reception and we made full use of the pool. The Novotel was perfect for us and we would return!

1 Thank Stuzza
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Good morning and thank you for your comments. I am delighted to read the whole family had a good time and we are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Christophe Ughetto

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (335)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Frightened ourselves silly reading Tripadvisor reviews for this hotel but having stayed in York Novotel I realise I've been wasting my money staying in 4 hotels. The staff could not possibly have been more attentive or charming; our executive room was spotlessly clean and provided every luxury we could have wished and breakfast was excellent. A few minutes delightful riverside walk brought us into the centre of York. Well done everyone at Novotel York Central and thank you for making it such a special week-end for my disabled daughter and ourselves.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank GillBell
Good morning. Just a few words to thank you for your very kind comments. I will certainly share your comments with the full team as I know they will go a long way in recognising their hard work. I am delighted you all had a good time.

Thank you once again.

York, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

On arrival we were greeted by very friendly reception staff,swift check in. We had two adjoining rooms which was very spacious for us all as there was four adults and three children aged 13,10 and 11months. Our rooms overlooked the river which was very pleasant,they were very clean and enjoy having the kettle facilities.Due to the school holidays there was a lot of children but they all seem to be having a good time in the evening on the wii and xbox.I can appreciate some adults without children passing comment therefore schoolholidays would have to be avoided but it would not deter my husband and I.We stayed two nights breakfast was very good plenty variety and once again staff were very polite and helpfull.Enjoyed the walk along the river and visiting all the sites York has to offer.

Room Tip: Floor 3 overlooking the river.Didn't experience any noise.
1 Thank Joan T
Good afternnon. Just a quick note to thank you for your comments following your recent visit to our hotel. I am very pleased to read you enjoyed your time with us and am looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

Avoid half term unless you are a parent with small children. The reception was like a holiday club for the under teens. The swimming pool which is very small is full of children and their doting parents all day so do not expect to use the "leisure" facilities - PS there is nothing else.

Breakfast is expensive for what is provided.

Staff OK and rooms comfortable and clean but what is it with Accor hotels who don't seem to be able to seal their showers.

A very expensive hotel unless you take the 2 children with you. It has put us off ever returning

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank DuBois007
Good morning and thank you for your honest feedback. I am obviously disappointed you would not consider us for future visits. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly on Christophe.Ughetto@accor.com should you change your mind and I will personally assist you with your booking.

Once again, thank you for your comments.

Whitley Bay
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2012

We visited and stayed last week during the half term. The hotel was full with families and children. We like the location of this hotel and have stayed before. Its clean, tidy and the staff are polite and helpful. The pool is small but adequate. The location means a 5 minute stroll takes you along the river into the heart of York city. We would recommend.

2 Thank TaniaWhitleyBay
Good morning and thank you for your comments. I am delighted to read you would recommend our hotel and I thank you for that. We are all looking forward to have you back with us soon!

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2012

Me and my wife visited york for a short break. I admit it was half term school holidays but did the hotel only cater for the children staying there. On returning after early evenings we couldnt get a seat in the bar as the number of young children running around didnt allow this.The hotel made no allowances for adults on thier own or in couples, the pool was like a public swimming baths on a weekend. Parents allowed thier offspring the use of the hotel as is it was home. I have stayed in hotels all over the country and abroad and i have never been treat this way. p.s. Dont buy a drink in the bar as the prices are extortianate.

Room Tip: dont take a room at the front. disturbance from deliveries from 6am.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David H
Good afternoon and thank you for your feedback. I sorry to read your stay was not up to your expectations during the half term period. Please, do accept my apologies for the shortfall in the standard of service you received on this occasion and we will do our utmost to see how we can improve over the next half term.

stoke on trent
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2012

As a wheelchair user, I enquired about an accessible room for me, my wife and son, and was told they only accommodate two but have an adjoining room - with the appropriate charge!!!
Rather than doubling my bill for two nights, I booked a standard room, assuming that I would cope for the short stay. Imagine my horror when we found that the tiny toilet cubicle in the room was separate to the bathroom! Not only was this extremely difficult for me physically but not at all hygienic as you have to go to a separate room to wash your hands!!!
I mentioned my problem at reception and was told the only alternative was to swap to an accessible room and pay for the adjoining room!!! Are disabled people not allowed with their children?
Fortunately, Anna? was on duty later in the day and had the common sense to appreciate my problem. Although all accessible rooms were full, she did arrange for a swap the following morning, with a fold up bed added for my son. Well done Anna! She is a treasure and I can not thank her enough. Although the added bed was not brilliantly comfortable ( according to my son) the room and bathroom were spacious and wonderful.
Apart from not being informed about the separate victorian style toilet cubicles in the rooms, all other aspects of the hotel were up to expectation, with terrific breakfasts and wonderful meals in the restaurant. Thank you again to Anna for saving our short break!!!!

1 Thank 147steve
Good morning. Thank you so much for your comments. I am glad to read that the issues were sorted and that you were able to enjoy your stay. I will personally thank Annie for the help she provided.

Thank you once again.