“Great location-Very Family Friendly”

Novotel York Centre
Ranked #32 of 47 Hotels in York
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed January 2, 2012

We stayed here the evening of 30 December and had a wonderful time. The price couldn't be beat-we booked via the internet and received a 50% discount (total price of room was 58 GBP) and prebooked breakfast as well (total price of 13GBP for 2 adults b/c 2 kids ate free). Finding the hotel was a bit tricky only because of 1 way roads. My 6 year old son enjoyed playing the Wii in the lobby and my 3 year old enjoyed the small play area (blocks, etc) while I checked in. Since we arrived at 1230, we checked in but our room was not yet ready so we left our luggage in our car and walked to the city center. It's a very easy 10-15 walk to the main downtown area. When we came back around 7:30, we got our room keys and after a quick change, enjoyed the indoor pool. The room was comfortable. We ate breakfast the next morning around 9am and only had to wait about 5 minutes for a table. The breakfast buffet was probably the best we've enjoyed of all the hotels we've stayed at in England (Holiday Inn Express, Premier Inn, etc). For a bonus, we arrived at the the car park at 1230 on 30 Dec and didn't leave until 1900 on 31 Dec but it was still only 7 GBP for the entire stay. What a deal! A great hotel for a family visit.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2012

Good morning and thank you for your comments. I am delighted to read you had a great time with us and hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back very soon.

Reviewed December 30, 2011

I am usually a very positive person but for once I am leaving poor feedback. We had looked forward to a lovely stay in the beautiful city of York ( which I know well) but it was cold and after walking round the sites we would have enjoyed a comfortable stay if it had not been for a faulty heating system in our room and an exceptionally draughty window. I suppose if you are a Brit who is used to walking the streets of Newcastle or Manchester, in the middle of winter, in a teeshirt or a mini-mini-skirt, as they do, then the tempertaure in the bedroom may be OK, but for others I think they will find it very cold. We certainly spent our coldest indoor Christmas at a hotel that we can remember. There was not much the friendly staff could do about the situation. Everything else about the hotel was fine but until the heating system and windows have been refurbished I could not recommend this hotel, especially as there ar so many other hotels in York. Should you decide to stay here, make sure at least that you do not have a room at the end of the corridors with 2 outside walls.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple

Good morning and thank you for your comments. I am disappointed to read you could not enjoy your stay due to the low temperature in the rooms. I have had a meeting with my maintenance manager to tryto understand why it would have been cold and we will ceratinly investigate the matter further. I hope this will not deter you from coming back as I can assure you this was anisolated incident.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

i dithered reading reviews but this hotel is excellent. restaurant food n wine choices great. Staff so friendly n helpful. Stayed in superior room on 3rd floor with view over river and it was excellent. I really dont know what any normal person could find to twist about. good location yet peaceful, decor different but really good. Food varied and amazing quality ended taking breakfast and eating in two nights as it was so friendly, peaceful and great service when needed. got a decent rate too better than the one quoted on some sites despite it being busy. just book it and dont worry about a thing, we have both travelled a lot and loved the place.

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Silva-fox-on-tour

Good morning. I just wanted to thank you for your review. I am delighted you had a good time with us and that the team was helpful during your stay. I will certainly share your comments with all of them.

Wishing you all the best for 2012!

Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stayed here when we explored York just after Christmas. We booked the Executive Room which was a good sized room with couch and desk. Internet was included with the room which was a nice bonus. Staff were friendly and helpful and we enjoyed relaxing in the room after walking all over York.
Only downside was that the walls between us and the next room were paper thin. Possibly due to the adjoining door which meant when they came back at 2.30am and started playing their radio we could hear EVERYTHING. Tried calling the front desk but the phones were working?! Tapped on the wall and to their credit they turned it down and were being quiet but we could still hear everything as sound proofing was so bad. This is a nice hotel and we might have been unlucky with the noisy neighbour but I would recommend you ask for a room without an adjoining door so sound proofing is better.

1  Thank Boston1533

Good afternoon and thank you for your feedback. I would like to wish you all the best for the New Year!

Reviewed December 28, 2011

Decided on a short notice Xmas break in York, so booked this only a few weeks before and got a reasonable rate over the Xmas period for an Executive room.

Arrived just after lunch, and strolled down fromt he station, it's quite easy to find as it is situated right on the river (and rather amusingly, the canal path is called 'Brownie Dyke').

I'd booked the Exec room, which meant a low floor with a river/canal view which was quite nice as the weather was unseasonable warm and clear whilst I was there. the room itself was a fair size, with a large bed and a sofa. Flat screen TV, and all the movies and wired internet was included in my rate, so no complaints there. Did have a problem with the lack of heat, couldn't get any hot air to come out of the air vent in the room, I mentioned this and they offered me a heater, but I asked if it was possible to move to a different room so they could fix this problem. They moved me straight away, but the 2nd room didn't have any working heating either, so I just accepted the offer of a portable heater which worked just as well. Bathroom had a seaprate shower cubicle and also a bathtub, and was very clean.

I didn't take breakfast in the hotel, as I was relaxing so didn't want to be forced to get up early. I did use the room service menu (basically the same as the onsite restaurant but with an additional £3 delivery charge added to the bill) and it was quite adequate.

Used the newly refurbished pool a few times, which was quite smal but still very nice. Slightly strange set up with the changing rooms, only 2 of them and the shower is next to the pool. Not a problem as we just went back to the room after and showered./changed there.

Helpful reception staff, kept me informed of local events (ie free buses on Boxing Day, so didn't cost a penny to make the short trip to the York Designer Mall)

Overall I'd recommend, we really enjoyed the short walk back from the centre along the river. The problem with the heating was a bit annoying, but they seem to have a good stock on portable heaters so it wasn't an issue.

Reviewed December 25, 2011

Wasnt sure where to find this Novotel... But it wasn't too difficult to locate, parking is available at £7 for 24 hours. Check in was quick and the reception staff seemed friendly! The room was a bit tired and could do with some colour, but a good size! The bed was a bit hard for me, but you can't please everyone!

Coming back to the location, it's only a few mins from the city walls and the centre of town. There's a Tesco Express not too far away and a wetherspoons bar if you don't want to pay the hotels prices for breakfast! Great for a short break if you find a good rate! I was looking forward to try the swimming pool. But the leisure facilities close at 10pm, I wish they would extend this by another hour!

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
ChristopheUghetto, General Manager at Novotel York Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2011

Good afternoon.

Just a few words to thank you for your comments and to wish you all the best for 2012!

A TripAdvisor Member
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Our greeting by receptionist was not the most welcoming however, this was no reflection on all the other staff and other receptionists as they were all ery helpful and friendly. We cannot say our stay was bad on the actions of one individual. The hotel is great and fantastic for children. Our 15 month old had a great time running around the foyer area and causing chaos. We found the hotel to be nice and quiet. Lots of children staying when we did (wknd before Christmas). Would I stay again??? Most definitely. Swimming pool was good we used it twice. However, changing rooms were a little small with only 2 cubicles but when we used it, pool was quiet so wasnt a problem.

I would stay here again and would recommend.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family

Good afternoon and thank you for your comments. we are all looking forward to welcoming you back to the Novotel York. Wishing you all the best for the New Year!