1,863 results
All reviews york minster taxi rank kedgeree valet parking is minster bells lovely hotel perfect location hotel restaurant eggs benedict no air conditioning visiting york breakfast was excellent third floor small room booked this hotel birthday treat family room
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I'd stayed at the Dean Court Hotel several years back, and had a very nice room and stay. This year, however, the Dean Court turned out to be the worst hotel room I'd booked my entire vacation. I'd booked direct through the site, for a single room, and pre-paid to keep the rate down. The single room was unbelievably ugly, and looked worse than a hostel. I would've been ashamed to allow anyone to stay here. The wood furniture was mismatched, the curtains dingy, the walls needed a fresh paint job. There was no view except to a brick building, which wouldn't have bothered me, but cluttering the window sill was a plastic fan, a portable cooling unit, and a teddy bear that was some sort of fundraiser for a local charity. The overall effect was extremely shabby. And the wi-fi didn't work either in the room, breakfast room and lobby. A very poor experience for what they charged. I'd stayed at the Premier Inn Centre Blossom South for my first night, at half the price, and the room was so much cleaner, and newer, and more comfortable. The staff was very nice, though, and I imagine the larger rooms are fine. Just beware the single room--not at all an experience you want.

Room Tip: Avoid the Single Room
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled solo
1  Thank Kimberly G
DeanCourt, General Manager at Dean Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear Kimberly G,

Thank you for your review following your stay last weekend. I am sorry that you did not like your single room, which i do admit as I have said in other reviews that our single bedded rooms do not have views except of our neighbours walls.
However as many of my guests read my replies (so they tell me when i meet them in the hotel or via TripAdvisor) i need to add my comments to this reviewer. When our guests arrive we "room" all our guests i.e show them the room, Pascal escorted this guest to the room, showed her the facilities and apologised for their been no view, "its fine I am only here for 1 night", we then call the guest 5 minutes later( so they can check the facilities out) all OK thank you ! On check out the following morning this lady paid the bill with no mention of any issue! (why can guests not tell us face to face so we can do something about it?) not a week later through social media! This lady booked this room for a Saturday night (usually our most expensive night) through our hotel web site, which i suspect if she had checked the price of the Premier Inn it would have been double what she paid on the previous night - dynamic pricing! The room this lady had booked on the hotel web site was actually the very same room she had seen and chosen to book. The room is admittedly small, BUT has all the same facilities of all our other rooms, the furniture is matched, and is spotlessly clean. The portable air conditioning unit could have been removed in seconds (but was not requested too). The charity teddy bear, is Marty which we place in all our rooms and so far for this local children's hospice our guests and staff ( many staff members complete at least 1 charity event each year- this year a fun run where the hotel raised over £1,500), over the last 5 years the hotel has given the charity over £27,000 !! This single room has been sold 6 times since this lady had stayed with no issues. Every guest has a different expectation, experience and out come- which makes the world go round!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The third stay at the Dean Court for myself and my friend, and it is always a pleasure to return there. Ideal location, comfortable and beautifully clean rooms, good restaurant plus breakfast. Best of all, kind and helpful staff. I mention Elliott, Frank and Federico who were especially good when our taxi arrived thirty-five minutes late to take us to Leeds/Bradford Airport! Nothing was too much trouble, and this put the finishing touches to our excellent trip to York. Highly recommended! Rooms 51 and 52 are brilliant!

• Stayed: September 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank Margaret S

Dear Margaret S,

Thank you for your great review, I am so pleased that you and your friend loved your return visit, with once again comfortable and beautifully clean rooms, with a good breakfast. The three guys you mention will all be thrilled to see their names mentioned (they are all very competitive) and read these reviews. Lets hope we see you once again for that next visit to our great city and of course the DCH.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

As the group leader I have never experienced such well organised and warm welcome, from such helpful and willing staff.
This continued throughout our 4 day stay, in every department.
I did not receive one complaint from my party about any aspect of the hotel

Bedrooms were clean and tidy, well provisioned and very comfortable.
Location, fabulous been directly opposite York Minster.

Room Tip: 53 very quiet but not a special view.
  • Stayed: September 2018, traveled with friends
1  Thank TenterdenVoyager

Dear TenterdenVoyager,

Thank you for your lovely review following the groups visit to the hotel, I am so pleased that you and the other 20 rooms in your party were so well looked after and you all enjoyed the sites of York and the surrounding area - including Castle Howard! Even one of my porters received a round of applause when he "found you all sat in the bus lost" and guided you to the front door of the hotel. We have already received several private bookings for a return visit, and lets hope the group want to repeat the trip again next year.

Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

The location of Dean Court Hotel is hard to beat: right next to York Minster and the windows in our room faced it. It was a huge advantage for us because the ticket to the Minster is good for one year, so I returned at least four times over our two day stay to appreciate this breathtaking architectural masterpiece in full.

Our room was spacious with good size double bed and big bathroom. The furniture was a bit dated, but it was OK.

It was so nice to start our day with good breakfast at the hotel’s restaurant. We loved their scrambled eggs with salmon and Eggs Royale; smoked haddock with poached eggs was not something I liked though Coffee was not good at all - watery and tasteless, but tea was excellent.

Very friendly and helpful hotel staff made our stay pleasant and worry free.

The only complaint is noisy teenagers partying in front of the Minster, but it is not the hotel’s fault.

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Noraatc
DeanCourt, General Manager at Dean Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Dear Noraatc,

Thank you for your lovely review, we do have the very best located hotel in the vibrant City of York, calling York Minster our neighbour!- what a place to visit ! The down side of been in the heart of the City is that there are inconsiderate people who seem to talk at the top of their voices returning home, back to their University Campus after a "night out". Glad you found my team to be very friendly and helpful and lets hope we see you again for another visit to our great City.

Reviewed September 16, 2018 via mobile

We stayed here 15th September and was so disappointed. We paid £231 for one night which we was okay with considering the perfect location but our room had the view of walls and a VERY noisy fan. We stayed in room 21, we saw other rooms whilst there which was definitely worth the price but I think charging £231 for a tiny room and the worst view and noise is awful. Breakfast was very nice other than the bacon was under cooked. Staff was very pleasant and the location is perfect just a shame about the over priced noisy room. Would recommend if was in a different room. Felt robbed of money

Stayed: September 2018, traveled as a couple
DeanCourt, General Manager at Dean Court Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2018

Dear Jade O,

Thank you for your review following your stay last Saturday. I am sorry you felt that the room was overpriced, I openly admit that this room only over looks the rear of our neighbours buildings. Booking direct and not through a third party web site (booking.com) will give you the best aviable price. I am however pleased to read that your breakfast was nice, and my team very pleasant, and of course our location. I do hope that one day you may return to the hotel once again and ask that you contact me directly so i can assist in your reservation personally. simon.murphy@deancourt-york.co.uk