“Excellent”

Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in York
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Stayed here for a long weekend to celebrate my Husbands Birthday. With a friendly welcome we where told we had been upgraded to the four poster bedroom. The room was amazing with fantastic views of York Minster and there was even a Birthday card from the staff. With a large selection of complimentary coffee, teas and bottled water, dressing gowns and even an umbrella which fortunately we did not have to use. Two out of the three nights that we stayed we dined in the Bistro, the menu choice was excellent, spoilt for choice and were not disappointed with taste. On the third night we dined in the main restaurant, DCH. We both choose steak which was cooked to perfection and we are very particular. There is so much to do in York and Dean Court Hotel is perfectly positioned for exploring it all. Would recommend 100% and will definitely be coming back

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Helenleigh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Korean first
Worcester
Reviewed February 9, 2014

We recently stayed here for 3 nights and thought it was a great hotel in a location that would be hard to beat. Our room was lovely, we booked a standard room and we were very pleased with the room we received (room 30). We didn't eat in the restaurant so cant comment on the food.

The breakfast was fantastic on the Sunday morning but I think they must have had a different chef on the Monday and Tuesday as it was not as good. I ordered poached egg and on the Sunday I received 2 eggs on 2 circles of toast. Monday and Tuesday I only got 1 of each and it looked quite pathetic on the plate! I never got my pot of tea either and had to remind them every morning.

My other recommendation would be to NOT order a Mojito in the bar. It was awful. I do love Mojitos but this was the worst I have ever had and a waste of my £7! Just little niggles to be honest

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 5, 2014

Stayed here for a weekend break, courtesy of my Daughter’s thoughtful Christmas present!
And she couldn’t have chosen a better hotel or location! It was fantastic, from start to finish!
Our room was huge, bed was amazing and it was the best complimentary drinks tray I had ever seen in a hotel! Loads of milk (a particular bug bear of mine is that there is never enough milk!) and several flavours of herbal teabags too.
There was a great selection at breakfast, best I’ve seen in a long time and the service was friendly and efficient. Nothing seemed too much trouble and that goes for the reception staff too.
Ideally located next to York Minster (which was a bonus for finding the hotel again after getting lost in the quirky little streets of York!)
I’ve had some mixed experiences of Best Western hotels in the past (mostly abroad, to be fair) but this one has made me seriously consider using this chain more often.

sunderland
Reviewed February 4, 2014

we stayed here as a couple for a weekend ,the location was fantastic znd when we got to the room we realised how close we were to the minster, a mere stones throw, we checked in earlier than expected and our room was ready,we were taken upto our room and shown around,we only booked a small room but were well impressed it wasnt that small,the decor was lovely as was the bathroom, we got up the sunday morning to the bells, but they werent the minsters but the church next door,so if you are booking ask to be in the back of the hotel unless you are staying midweek then it wouldnt matter. breakfast was amazing and everything you could think of,the breakfast was buffet style on the cold meats/cereals/fruit but it was waiter served for cooked but theres was lots and great vslue for money,id definitely recommend this hotel to anyone and its one of the nicest hotels ive stayed in in york, only negative in the room was it was too hot and didnt sleep too well but we couldve gone and ask for it to be turned off i suppose

Room Tip: midweek anywhere,weekend at the back, the church bells ring all morning sunday if you are on the fro...
Cambridge
Reviewed February 3, 2014

Amazing location overlooking York Minster.
Check in was great, in so much that a very friendly gentleman chatted with me and my colleague before escorting us to our respective rooms-a lovely welcome.
The room although a small double was very well appointed and not as compact as I'd expected. It did not overlook the Minster, I would anticipate that this is a special request/upgrade etc
The attention to detail was super.
Breakfast was also great-friendly staff and the first ever hotel Ive stayed at (and I travel frequently) to offer such a comprehensive vegetarian breakfast.
My only niggle was on departure. I enquired about holding a business meeting at the hotel and it was pretty much unsold-I was given a flyer and when I requested about rooms was clearly told I could book no more than 7. Its a shame but they clearly don't cater for this audience.
I would definitely return.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Barnsley
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

I only stayed one night here but really enjoyed my stay. The room was quite small but was fine for a short stay. The hotel staff were absolutely lovely, especially the restaurant service staff. The breakfast was amazing, so much choice!
Would definitely stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Grimsby, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 2, 2014

What a fantastic location. The hotel is situated right outside the Minster with lovely views from the hotels dining room and a very short walk to the lovely shops, bars and restaurants. We stayed in the small double room, which in our opinion was 'small yet perfectly formed'! The attention to detail was lovely, umbrellas in rooms, robes and a lovely welcome tray. The bathroom, again small, but impeccably clean with luxurious fittings. Lovely comfortable bed and pillows. Our car was taken by the porter and parked in a near by carpark for £13 for 24 hours and driven back to us after we had checked out but spent a day shopping in York. The staff are very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was a mix of a cold buffet and hot food was ordered and served to your table in a very relaxed and informal atmosphere. The Whitby smoked haddock was particularly delicious. A lovely short break.

Room Tip: The small double was just as described, but the size certainly wasn't a negative.