“Tiny rooms!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grange Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Grange Hotel
Ranked #26 of 46 Hotels in York
Devon
“Tiny rooms!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

We chose this hotel because friends had stayed here previously and had a beautiful room. However, we were staggered to discover that our 'double' room was so small that the bed was pushed hard against the wall so that whoever slept on that side had to climb over the other person to get out in the night to go to the bathroom. In my opinion this is NOT a double room. It is tiny! Only one chair, so only one person could sit down unless the other person sits on the bed.

Having decided to go and sit in the drawing room we were asked to leave as there was a function on. It was suggested that we go the the morning room downstairs but this was full of people attending the function. When we returned after a day out we decided to sit in the morning room as we were travelling with my mother who had a separate room so we didn't just want to go back to our room. Despite having a large fireplace and the fact that it was a very cold weekend (between 0 and 3 degrees) there was no fire as shown on their website. The room was cold.

The food was excellent. My only complaint was that the porridge was lukewarm. However, they happily heated it up for me. We had a meal in the brasserie which was one of the best meals I have ever eaten anywhere. Service is superb. Nathaniel in particular deserves a special mention for his attention to detail. All the staff are friendly and helpful. My only piece of feedback for improvement here would be to clean the teapots properly. I only drink hot water and to receive a teapot with tea stains is not pleasant.

Lovely toiletries in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Go for a superior room as the standard doubles are not big enough for two people.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

The Grange provides a luxurious and classy experience. It's beautifully decorated, the staff is welcoming and friendly and the food is delicious. We had dinner at the candlelit Brasserie, where we enjoyed the quality steaks, and the breakfast included a good variety of both continental and cooked options to choose from. Our room was nicely decorated with wooden furniture and the walls were covered with traditional wallpaper. The only comment I could make is that when they say "small double bedroom" they really mean it. This was possibly the smallest bedroom I've ever stayed at, almost cell like, and therefore I found it too pricey for its size.

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

One word of warning before I comment. The car park in the hotel is quite small so if you find it's full, there is a street nearby you could try.
The hotel has a horse racing theme throughout the corridors with lots of horsey things on the walls. There is a lovely library room on the first floor used for weddings. Lovely decor. the rooms are not huge but comfortable and the towels very soft.
Make sure you book your stay with breakfast included. It's fabulous. A choice of continental or full Yorkshire which is very tasty. Eggs bacon sausage tomato and black pudding. Yummmm. There is also plenty of coffee and tea and toast. And you can finish with juices and Pain du chocolat. A must have
The hotel is about 10 minutes walk from the Cathedral and a further 5 minutes from the town centre. Make sure you visit York castle museum and the Viking Yarvic centre AND Bettys tea rooms for that taste of luxury from bygone days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Colchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed in a "superior" room in the new block overlooking a side road. A nearby external door continually slammed shut, music and loud voices came from the maintenance office below and the refuse wagon loaded up outside our window at 4.30am. The restaurant was very un-inviting and the breakfast was appalling. All in all we came away with the feeling that at £135 a night it was a complete rip-off.

Cardiff
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

To be honest, I was sorely disappointed with my stay.

For the prices that they charge (I was paying £130 a night for my room) I would expect the sort of “finest luxury” hotel described on their website. In fact, my room was decidedly average – with tired looking furniture and fittings, strongly in need of a modern shower and heating, and absolutely none of those little “extras” that can make you feel you’re staying somewhere special – I would have said charging somewhere closer to half that rate (say £70) would have been a fair price. For £130, I’d expect the sort of room that makes you want to stay in it all evening, and not go out. As it was, I was glad I had other plans as I think it would have been a decidedly sad and depressing room to spend much time in.

The service and overall experience also fell short of what I’d expect from a hotel that markets itself the way it does (and charges the prices it does). Breakfast, for example, consisted of a small and picked over looking buffet. Staff seemed to struggle to take people’s orders for hot items, with people on the tables around me either being brought the wrong meals or finding themselves unable to attract anyone’s attention to take their order.

I had been very much looking forward to my stay but left, to be honest, feeling a bit like I’d been robbed.

They urgently need to amend their marketing materials and pricing structure to reflect the reality of the quality they are able to offer.

I have fed this back to the hotel management, but am currently awaiting their response.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, March 26, 2013
Thank you for your review of the Grange Hotel. It is disappointing to read when reviewers only choose to share small negatives of a stay and that you failed to mention at any point the fantastic wedding you attended while at the Hotel. The rate of £130 was a B&B rate and given our city location, recently renewed and continued AA 4 star rating and the fact you stayed on a weekend offers great value for money.
I have received your direct feedback today, and my reply is also with you, I do question why this at the end of your review?
I would be more than happy to discuss this with you further, please feel free to contact me personally.

Kind Regards,

Steven Hodgkinson
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 21, 2013

Let me star this review by telling you that all bad reviews on here are obviously the opinions of people who like to hear their own voice. On a slightly more important note, I travel around on business regularly and I have to say that by far out of all the hotels I have stayed in this week The Grange Hotel far surpassed my expectations, you walk through the rear entrance from the car park with clear signage to reception, the smell was immense and fresh which was most satisfying. I checked in and the girl on reception was so pleasant and professional. She offered to help me my luggage but I politely rejected her genuine offer. You get your key card in a rather nice card holder which allows the key card to fit snug in to allow you to pop it in your wallet and see your room number with out fumbling with unnecessary amounts of paperwork so then I got to my room which was elegantly and tastefully decorated not to mention yet again a lovely smell of freshness and cleanliness the whole room was spotless. I was in my room putting away my belongings and the telephone rang and to my utter surprise, it was a courtesy call from reception asking if everything was ok with my room, I thought that was a very touching gesture particularly as it really shows that they value you as an individual customer as opposed to just a number. The tea caddy was brimmed with supplies and a teapot with nice large cups and saucers with the added advantage of fresh milk in the fridge, yes FRESH!! AND the duvet and pillows were down feather.... Unequivocally the best nights sleep I've had on my travels, I could not fault the room at all. I then realised the room didn't have an iron and went to reception who kindly offered to bring this to my room which they did and on the double, excellent service so far... Moving on I didn't actually eat at the hotel restaurant as I was meeting a friend in York but looked at the menu and it did look rather pleasing, varied range to accommodate every palate. I arrived back at the hotel later on that evening and went to the bar for a pint, again I was totally accommodated for and was told to take a seat and it would be brought over for me and it was. I then retired to my room and had a shower which was really hot, the towels were huge and bright white and really fluffy! Gorgeous! The soaps you get were really nice too! I then made use of the in room caddy and had myself a peppermint tea which was provided by Taylor's of Harrogate, so obviously this hotel knows quality! After my non alcoholic night cap I claimed in to bed and as I said it was very comfortable and the pillows were Devine, it was like home from home and the hotel certainly has that feel. I woke up in the morning to a pleasant smell of breakfast so I was eager to get down stairs and have mine. The buffet option was plentiful with warm Danish pastries and fresh fruit, and cold means, nothing was sparse, I was serverd my fresh coffee from a cafetier which again was lovely, I was then offered a cooked breakfast which was on the table within only a few minutes and the chap serving certainly was doing a good job, he seemed to be attending to everyone single handedly but was very very polite and had perfect manners, this is a great attribute for this industry as I rarely see this anymore. So to conclude, if you want a luxury hotel at a competitive rate, want to be server by probably the most commendable staff, you definitely need to stay here. Great staff, clean, fresh, traditional and warm, what more could you ask for?

I'd personally like to commend two members of staff who I feel deserve recognition and they are the lady on reception on the 20th March (reddish hair) and the chap in the restaurant serving breakfast with blonde hair. They both went above and beyond by the service they provided and their professional conduct. I was impressed. Thank you for a memorable stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2013

Great location on the edge of York,ideal for foot access to all the sights in the City. Loads of parking and friendly greeting. Staff were always happy to help and eager to make us feel comfortable. Choice of two restraunts in the hotel ,The Ivy being more refined .Tried both with a fine choice of food, and excellant service. Super choice for breakfast that did set us up for the day. Our room was clean comfortable.Extra TV by the bath was novel !

• 5 of 5 bubbles
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you so much for writing this 5 star review of The Grange Hotel. It was a real pleasure to have you with us, and thank you for your kind feedback both in person and here on TripAdvisor.
If you are ever thinking of staying with us again please ask for me personally when booking and I will ensure the rate is the very best possible.

Kind Regards,