“Charming hotel with great customer service”
Review of The Grange Hotel

The Grange Hotel
Ranked #25 of 46 Hotels in York
paris
“Charming hotel with great customer service”
Reviewed June 29, 2011

I spent only one night at the Grange Hotel with my teenage daughter. The hotel is charming and has a lot of atmosphere as well as an excellent restaurant. We were happy to have a very quiet room at the back. So we had a restful night before dealing with the big stress expecting us the following day... On my way back to Paris I realized I had left my valuable watch in the room. It was after the house keeping staff had left, but the young woman at the reception very kindly made all the necessary calls to find the watch and have it safely sent back to me, keeping me well informed. That's how I got to test the great efficiency of the hotel staff of the Grange Hotel.

Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, July 2, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for expressing your views on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to learn of your enjoyable stay at The Grange and the services provided met with your approval. I also trust the watch arrived safe and sound.

Kind regards

George Briffa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 25, 2011

This hotel is in a great location with a pleasant stroll of about ten minutes into the Minster area of York. Parking was available within the hotel which was perfect . We arrived early and didnt expect to check in but the room was ready a few hours before which was a pleasant surprise.Our room was on the ground floor at the front of the hotel and the only negative thing to mention was the traffic noise in the morning, however I imagine it will be quieter at a weekend. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable and the facilities within the room were great. I think the high point was the fabulous breakfast.The waitress was friendly and the service was excellent.The food was all very tasty, I especially enjoyed the homemade museli, delicious! We didnt eat an evening meal in the resturant as wanted to go out in York but after tasting the breakfast wish that we had...All in all a very enjoyable little break, hope to return again soon but perhaps will book a suite!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2011
Dear Guests

Thank you for expressing your views of The Grange Hotel on Tripadvisor. I am very pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay with us. As always if the bedrooms are already serviced prior to the 2.00 we stipulate guests are very welcome to have access to the bedroom.

I am also delighted to learn of the continuous praises we keep receiving about the comfortableness of the bed and pillows. The cuisine, hospitality and service are always very important especially breakfast as this is the last meal guests experience prior to departure; again it is also pleasing to learn that we continue to surpass guests’ expectations. It is a shame you did not experience our other dining facilities in either The New York Grill or the Ivy Brasserie, rest assured you would not have been disappointed.

Again thank you for your review and look forward to welcoming you again to The Grange in the not too distant future, one of the suites is highly recommended.

England
Reviewed June 19, 2011

The hotel is a lovely looking building which is situated within walking distance of the town centre. We arrived at 1pm and found a parking space easily although the car park isn't large and we were checked in straight away which was fantastic as they do say check-in is 2.30pm.

I'd read on here about the rooms being fairly small and they're correct - we had a king size which was a lot smaller other's I've stayed in. The bathroom was also compact. There was a small fridge (with milk and mini bar), hairdryer and trouser press. I tried the haridryer but it only worked on the cold setting - I didn't mention this to reception as I'd bought my own but as there was no other mirror in the room apart from in the bathroom I had to balance my own small mirror so I could see what I was doing. I doubt they'd have been able to do much about the hairdryer as the cord went through the back of the wardrobe. There weren't any drawers in the room which didn't affect us for a weekend visit but it would be useful if you were there for a week.

Breakfast was lovey - both the continental buffet and the cooked food was excellent along with the service. Hot food was served piping hot - not luke warm as in other places.

I'd mentioned that the stay was a surprise for my partner's birthday (so they didn't send me any details by post, which they didn't) and they left a card for him in the room which was a really nice gesture.

For a four star hotel I did expect more for my money - an iron/ironing board and a mirror over the dressing table/desk would have been useful. I'd also expect more facilities, i.e. swimming pool/spa but this hotels doesn't have anything like this.

Overall we had a pleasant stay - the hotel has lots of good points but is let-down in other areas. Although I haven't stayed in any other York hotels, I've checked rates at a few other places and they were cheaper than here but look just as nice. If I come to York again, I'd try somewhere else unless this hotel and an offer on.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank scattycat30
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, June 20, 2011
Dear Guests

Thank you for expressing your views of The Grange.

I am glad that overall you had an enjoyable stay. It is a shame you did not bring the hairdryer issue to staff’s attention. Rest assured that the hairdryer will be replaced whether the cord is fixed behind the wardrobe or not.

I am also delighted to read that our breakfast met with your approval and I am sorry The Grange does not have the leisure facilities you expected however we never stated we did!

It is always wise to keep looking at our website for any “specials” we are promoting as we would love to welcome you again perhaps in one of our premier or classic bedrooms.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed June 18, 2011

We stayed here May 18th for 3 nights upon our arrival to York by train from Heathrow Airport. We collected our car rental at the train station and The Grange was only a couple of miles away on the outside ring of York. There is good parking at the rear of the hotel with an entrance into the bottom floor which has a computer set up for free access. We went up to the 1st floor check-in, which was very efficient. We had selected a double room with shower. The room they gave us was on the 1st floor around the corner from check-in. I knew in advance it would be a very small room after reading reviews. But the room had a problem with the shower not turning off and they moved us immediately to another room, which was larger, on the 3rd floor for the same rate. It was a very nice room with bath & shower. Breakfast was served on the 1st floor and was a very good English breakfast. There are two restaurants for lunch or evening meals served that have excellent meals.

The walk into town is not bad at all, about 15 minutes. A little grocery store is located a block away for anything you might want to pick up on the way back from the city centre.
We had a lovely time staying at The Grange and visiting York. Lots to see and do. We took the Hop on Hop Off bus to get the feel of things. The river cruise is relaxing and you can walk the wall. I thought The Grange to be a perfect B&B in all accounts.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guests

Thank you for expressing your views of The Grange.

I am delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable 3 nights stay with us.

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2011

I was at the wedding that has received a bad review. What nonsense! The whole day was perfect and that is the view of all the guests I have spoken to. The staff were very professional and helpful. The food was excellent. Maybe Marco Pierre White could find fault with the food, and Oz Clarke the wine but this was a family occasion for ordinary folk. We had a room for the night. Yes, it was expensive but luxury costs. I loved the TV in the bathroom. All hotels charge a premium for drinks at the bar. The charges are similar to others. Take no notice of the negativity. This hotel is a perfect wedding venue and a lovely place to stay when visiting this delightful city.

Room Tip: All rooms good.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, June 16, 2011
Dear Guests

I am very grateful for taking the time to express your views on Tripadvisor especially after receiving a negative review on the aforementioned wedding.

I am pleased to learn that you too found the level of service and cuisine provided to be of high standards.

Again thank you and hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to The Grange in the not too distant future.

east midlands
Reviewed June 7, 2011

My daughter and new son-in-law chose the GRANGE to hold their wedding. Initially I was a little concerned as York was nearly 200 miles from where we live. How will we sort everthing out? what if there are problems? The truely anxious Mum wanting everything perfect for her girl.

As it turned out I need not have worried. The wedding planners were fantastic !!!! Yes we did have some problems but the Grange's team sorted everything. Even to finding us a replacement photographer at 24hrs notice.

I can not praise the staff enough they were all polite and extremely helpful.

The accomadation was spaceous, clean and very comfortable. The Bridal suit having it's own sitting room proved a boon with so many bridesmaids to get ready.

The happy day passed of without a hitch and a good day I hope was had by all.

I belive the cost of the accomadation was on par with other hotels of its standard.
Would we stay here again? Without hessitation YES.

Finally a word from the Brides father " Tell them about the food " The wedding breakfast menu was simple, as my daughter and her partners choice, but well presented and very tasty.
But the breakfasts WERE OUT OF THIS WORLD. The sausages have left my husband raving, the best he has ever tasted.

We are hoping to return soon so we can spend sometime exploring York. The location of the Grange just off the city centre should make this very easy.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
GrangeHotel, General Manager at The Grange Hotel, responded to this review, June 9, 2011
Dear Guests

Thank you for expressing your views on TripAdvisor. Your praises relating to the cuisine, the staff, our hospitality and services provided are very much appreciated especially after reading the previous review. Incidentally please get in touch if you want the contact details of our sausages supplier.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you again to The Grange in the not too distant future.

Once again Thank You

Dartmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2011

Situated just a short stroll outside the city walls this hotels location is just right, quiet yet not too quiet. We were impressed by the efficiency of check in, somebody was at the car helping with bags almost as we pulled up, somthing some establishments could improve on. Our room was not overlarge and situated a bit of a jaunt through the hotel but perfectly pleasant nontheless.Our dinner in the hotel that night was well balanced and prepared, with a good wine list to accompany it. Breakfasts in the same restaurant were again a delight with the surreal background sounds of running brook water and birdsong, but might be a problem for those with a weak bladder, hoh hoh !!
The internet is provided free of charge both wired and wifi but needed constant rejoining as it was linked to the hotel websight, a bit tedious but not a problem really. Therefore a really pleasant three day stay with all the wonders of York city on the doorstep, pubs by the dozen, bus tours, boat trips, museums, and the Minster. The only downside being the up, down, along, up and down trip to the room, there is no lift, so ask when you book, how far the room is if you have dodgy knees. Anyway well done The Grange.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BaddyPurt
Dear Guests

Thank you for expressing your views on TripAdvisor. I am very pleased to learn that you found The Grange ideally situated near York City Centre. Thank you also for the praises relating to the cuisine, the staff, our hospitality and even the music we play. I do appreciate that there are some steps to access some of our bedrooms but in general the facilities met with your approval