“great choice”

Ranked #13 of 917 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2014

This restaurant is the best choice if you want to eat great food, spend some quality time and enjoy good serivce. I highly recomment it.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

I remember this place when it was a Polish deli and bakery, but hadn't realised that it had changed into a café/restaurant. Some friends invited me along, and although they had booked a table for eight people there were only five of us. It was a Sunday evening and not too busy.

My first impression was a warm welcoming interior, with lots of things to look at on the walls - I'm not into minimalist decor! Our waiter was a very friendly young man called David who got our drinks order very quickly, but didn't try to rush us with our food order. This was a good thing as I found it very difficult to decide what to eat.

The food is good traditional Polish/Eastern European and very plentiful. I decided just to have a main course as I had been warned about the size of the portions, and when I saw the size of one friend's starter I realised this was the right decision! (NB. The staff are quite happy to pack a doggy bag if you can't get through everything).

This is a meat eaters' restaurant with many dishes involving some part of a pig, so veggies might have a problem here. Everything on the menu looked tempting which made it difficult to decide what to order. There is a good wine list (the house Romanian Merlot was excellent) and there are some interesting beers and cider. I couldn't resist a glass of Wisniowka (Polish cherry vodka) as a digestif.

All in all a very good evening, and as the restaurant is only about 10 minutes walk from home I shall certainly be going back!

Reviewed February 28, 2014

Visited on a busy Thursday. Had booked, but there was a mix-up when we arrived [on time], as we were not expected, and a two guys who had just been seated were asked to leave!
Not the best start, but we tried to console ourselves by indulging in some very good Polish draught lager!
We both plumped for traditional mains .... Golonka and Bigos. Both were decent but didn't really impress that much. The side of red cabbage we ordered was also decent.
Finished with two Zbrowka and apple juices - lovely.
Recommended a go here.

Reviewed February 24, 2014

What a pleasant surprise this cafe turned out to be. Delicious food, lovely staff, nice ambience & great value for money. My wife took me here after having had a lovely meal the last time that she was in York. We were very early for lunch (11.15) so were the only ones dining but what a lovely meal! I went for the meat balls with pasta & I couldn't believe how tasty it was. My wife had the stuffed peppers & was similarly impressed. I would've had another course except for the fact that I'd already stuffed myself with the beautiful home made bread which had been placed, for free, on our table. Honestly, the amount of bread in the basket was a meal in itself!... I couldn't eat it all. There were so many other interesting options on the menu (starters, main courses & desserts) that I was disappointed with myself! I actually felt a bit guilty that, with drinks, our bill came to less than £15. Apparently it gets very busy (I'm not surprised) so get there early if you're having lunch....or make a reservation.

1  Thank Mark S
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

First timers and absolutely loved it. Great food, brilliant atmosphere, and a mouth watering selection of cakes for desert. Very reasonably priced with generous portion sizes. We will be visiting again soon.

1  Thank GlennMcYork