“Go hungry!”

Ranked #14 of 903 Restaurants in York
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I've eaten here twice now and the first time I couldn't really appreciate the food as we went early to take advantage of their excellent value 2 courses for £12 before 7pm deal. The food was really great but we were not hungry enough to do it justice! The second time around was better- I had the roast duck which was simply superb, so tender and just flaked away from the bone. Barbakan adds a really interesting, unique flavour to York's dining scene. Service was good and attentive and the complimentary bread baskets are a really nice touch- very good bread too. The restaurant is really cosy and decorated in lovely warm colours with a really homey feel which goes well with the hearty food. My one complaint would be our table- we were wedged in by the door and there was a horrible draft coming in which kept my already wet feet very cold. I understand that in such a small space they have to maximise tables (it's usually full which again is a testament to the food!) but they should have an extra heater by that table or something.

1  Thank killtacos
There are newer reviews for Barbakan

Reviewed November 22, 2013

We were lucky enough to be taken here for dinner recently by friends and the whole experience from start to finish was first class. Great food, great service and excellent value, i am really looking forward to returning to this excellent restaurant very soon. Highly recommended.

2  Thank StayInYork
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We went here for lunch today and it was fantastic. The menu is full of great options and what was supposed to be a quick small lunch turned into a long stay! I had the Bigos and it was delicious, and my partner had the Hungarian pancake which was equally amazing. We had a tart and cake for pudding which finished the meal perfectly. All portions were generous and very reasonably priced. I will be coming here again!

1  Thank JimRGradwell
Reviewed November 18, 2013

This inviting restaurant with Polish chef & staff serves up really tasty food at reasonable prices. Portions are generous & the quality is great. For a different style of cuisine that's appetizing & delicious this is one to try.

1  Thank 5Reddy
Reviewed November 17, 2013

My friend, who lives in York, booked Barbakan for a meal whilst I was visiting her for the weekend. This is a lovely little authentic restaurant, the food is great and the staff are welcoming. I would recommend visiting if you want to try something different, it's a great alternative to boring chain restaurants.

2  Thank TriSpice