“Functional and friendly” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #29 of 46 Hotels in York
Glasgow
“Functional and friendly”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

This hotel is well located if you want to combine a visit to York with visits to North and East Yorkshire. If you are just visiting York you may want to look at alternatives. The staff are friendly and welcoming and the rooms functional and comfortable. Breakfast is as advertised and adequate but don't expect anything special.

Room Tip: Seek a room away from the main entrance if you like to sleep with the window open - it can be noisy...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Stoke-on-Trent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

Stayed for 3 nights courtesy of earned priority Club Points.

Rooms clean and Tidy, and hotel is quite quiet.

Breakfast Room is very small for the size of the Hotel so in school holidays have your breakfast early circa 8am to avoid having to queue.

There is a Good and very popular / busy Toby Inn next door. Great for carvery meal or morning Breakfast if you want something with a bit more moisture than the Holiday Inn Express Continental Breakfast.

We used the Hotel as a base for York and for the Moors and Coast.

Car Park is always very busy and shared with the Toby.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

very impressed with this hotel clean,large bouble room staff very helpful and friendly,breakfast
lot of variety .Toby carvery was good and tea/coffee in room very welcome .stayed 3 nights to explore york and the hotel was perfect for our needs

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank susan t
North England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

Booked as part of a an extended family get away for one night. Wanted a twin rather than a double room was told this was not possible, then asked for some bed linen so we could make up the pull out bed. At first the manager refused as it had not been booked as a family room, couldnt understand if the bed was in the room why he did not want us to use it. He did however eventually agree and came to make the bed up. The room was clean and well kept, no complaints. It was £8 taxi fare to York that went up to £12 at night, so ended up costing quite a bit over the weekend stay. The family was split up all over the hotel and although we had a good night sleep some of them were kept up with noise and banging on door till 5.30 am from a group of lads. We complained and although we got an apologie nothing else. Breakfast was help yourself buffet syle, was fine. Dont think we would stay here again due to location.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

I was really impressed with the friendly staff and the facilities. I see a lot of people giving average or low reviews. This is a Holiday Inn Express, not a 5-star hotel. We arrived about 9pm, and were checking out the next morning, so it was perfect for our needs. I know what I can expect from Holiday Inn, and they surpassed those expectations. You can eat at Toby's Carvery next door, or you can choose one of the take-away menus the hotel provides. We opted for take-away. The hotel allows you to use the dining area at any time of the night, so you don't have to eat in your room. You can have a wide range of drinks at any hour. The hotel is a bit outside of the city centre, which saves you money, but it's really close to a park-and-ride centre, so it's easy to get to York.

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights hoping to explore York. When arriving not very many spaces for a hotel, but a nice carvery beside it. Staff were nice on arrival. In the room there was a nice welcome pack with tea bags, sugar ect. Room looked very clean, but quite old fashioned. The beds were terrible, as we're the pillows ( lucky we brought our own)!! Te next morning we were hoping for a big fry up, but when we got to breakfast there was no bacon, eggs.. There was only scrambled eggs, beans and over cooked sausages. There was lots of muffins, rolls, toast. I didn't like how you had to do your own toast. The orange juice was disgusting, it just tasted like water. Good location If you want to go to the monks cross, or York.

• Stayed October 2012
1 Thank Anonymouss1
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express York, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Anonymouss1,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are glad to hear you found our rooms to be clean and the hotel staff commendable. I do apologize for the uncomfortable bed and pillows as well as quality of food you encountered during breakfast. We thank you for taking the time to bring this unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. Only with feedback can we continue to improve our service standards.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

I chose this hotel as it was convenient for a business trip just north of York. The hotel was difficult to find using sat nav as it falls between two postcodes so I spent quite a bit of time looking for it. However, it must be noted that I have no sense of direction so it might not be such a problem for anyone else. The hotel itself was basic but fine for an overnight business trip. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The big problem I had with the hotel was lack of restaurant facilities. The Toby Inn next door only does carvery which was disappointing when I wanted a sandwich at lunchtime. My options were a) full carvery or b) a bag of crisps from the vending machine in the hotel. I didn't fancy either so I had to drive to Monks Cross to get my lunch from Asda. A bit of a faff when I would rather have been getting on with my work. In the evening I ate at the Toby, the carvery was lovely but very busy and I had to wait a while for a table. My next trip to York will involve a 4 night stay and I need to find a different hotel as I can't stand the idea of a carvery every single night. I appreciate there are probably other places a short drive away but when I have had a busy day at work, I don't want to drive around looking for somewhere to eat. I just want to go back to my hotel, eat and head off to my room. I doubt I'd stay here again unless it was a one night stay - and I'd know to take my own picnic!

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Dear Rebecca M,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us. We appreciate you choosing our location for your business needs and equally happy you found our staff helpful. We apologize that our breakfast facility and services did not meet your expectations. Thank you for bringing these unsatisfactory circumstances to our attention. We do value the opinion of our guests as this gives us the avenue to improve the quality and service that we impart.

Again, I am sorry that you found some aspects of your accommodation disappointing.

Zelyn N