“Full of Stag and Hen parties, terrible breakfast, expensive”

Holiday Inn Express York
Ranked #28 of 46 Hotels in York
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Full of Stag and Hen parties, terrible breakfast, expensive”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

We only spent one night here as everywhere else was full on Race meeting weekend hence the extortionate room rate. The place was full of stag and hen parties with the associated behaviour. At Breakfast the whole area was full of drink stinking hungover groups. The breakfast is a self service arrangement of the most terrible tasting scrambled egg which seemed to have been made from powder rather than egg, the orange juice was from a machine and very poor quality. Overall quite terrible and definately not somewhere we would consider using again. The single redeeming feature was that it was clean.

Room Tip: theyre all quite similar, id try somewhere else
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
IHGCare, IHGCare at Holiday Inn Express York, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Dear intrepidexplorersid,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. I am glad that you found our room accommodations satisfactory enough for your needs. Please accept my sincerest apology for the noise and breakfast issues you experienced. I understand the discomfort this caused you and appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter into our attention as this is our best resource of improving guest services.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Portlethen, Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 23, 2012

my wife myself and teenager son stayed here in august 2012 for 4 nights as a special treat for our summer holidays.its location not the best although park n ride nearby.service was average.beds were terrible my son slept on a sofa bed and his feet were hanging out the bottom and as a sofa bed it had the weirdest looking mattress a dip in the middle??cleanliness was average.the breakfast was suffice but the tables were far too close together.internet available but at a cost which my son had paid £5 cash for 4 hours.but on our departure day very early before 7am we were met by an older gentleman on reception saying that we still had an outstanding balance on our account of £5 for internet.we were literallly accused of not paying for it!!!!!!as you can imagine we were horrified by the way this and the way it was handled.eventually we left very angry at being accused of not paying for the internet when we had.so be warned get a receipt for internet if paying cash!!we wont be back.we have been offered a complimentary stay at the hotel but you can guess we will not be using it here.

Room Tip: choose another hotel is my advise
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel is kind of in the middle of no where although there is a Toby Carver restaurant next to it, and the Park-n-Ride is closeby. It is far more spartan than the Holiday Inns I have stayed at in England. The bathroom had no toiletries and luckily I had my only supply of shampoo/shower gel. Breakfast was good but somewhat crowded. The staff members were all very cheerful and friendly.
The room was too small for a family of four - once you open up the sofabed, you can's sit at the desk anymore as the edge of bed pretty much goes right up to it. Okay for one-night stay though. My other complaint is that the lighting in the room is too dim - very difficult if you want to read something at bedtime.

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2012

A standard Holiday Inn Express but let down by some housekeeping issues and mould on the shower tiles.
Three miles from York centre with a park & ride five minutes drive away, no buses pass the hotel but there is a regular service ten minutes walk away and a taxi to York station is around £10.
Breakfast is fine with a cheerful service.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 15, 2012

I stayed here for a hen part which when booking was made very clearly that we where a hen party and still being allowed to book. Arrival was very good, it was coming back as the taxi pulled up to the hotel the manager shouting at us saying to lower are voices (we weren't even all out the taxi yet ) the manger carried on being very out spoken and very rude to us. She then begain to partole up and down the roridoor where are rooms where banging on are doors tell us to go to are rooms and go to sleep. I all so got told for going out side for a cig and to go back to my room. Are rooms came with a full English breakfast the food was extremly poor and horrible. No full English at all a massive lack of options as well. Will never stay here again even for free !!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Slb1990
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Stayed at this hotel on the 12th of August the hotel needs a face lift from the outside but inside the hotel is clean and well maintained. The room was big and clean I found the bed comfortable my wife did not it was a very soft mattress. However when we turned the tv off at 10pm to sleep there was a horrible noise constant noise quiet but not nice the kids were already asleep and I thought we could cope with it but through the night it got louder and high pitched at 2am we contacted reception somebody came up and could hear the noise but did not know what it was he could hear it from outside the room. He could not help us the noise stopped just before 4am and we had to be up for 6am so I had about 30 mins of sleep after my headache went away. Holiday inn state in the booklet you have in your room if you have a problem and you contact reception and they can't solve the problem to your satisfaction they promise not to charge you for that part. I was not satisfied I thought great at least I can get my money back and put it towards a hotel for the next night as I was meant to be driving home after a day in York but fealt it would not be safe drive a long trip home on next to no sleep. Unfortunately the hotel doesn't believe in keeping its promise and gave us a 50% off are next visit this is no good as I would not stay there again. I asked for my money back I was told they would have to investigate what the noise was. I have waited 2 days to write this review as I have been waiting for an email from the hotel which I have now received I have been told the noise was the air vent in the bathroom. This is not true yes the air vent made a small amount of noise however this could only be heard from the bathroom. I do not believe the noise came from our room I don't know where it came from but the night porter could hear it from the hallway. I have been offered a refund of £5. In short if you want to sleep at night do not go here and if you want a hotel that stands by there promise do not go here. By the way I had a great night sleep at a premier inn the next night.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Bryan C
Wigan
Reviewed August 14, 2012

We stayed at the York Holiday Inn Express recently and were delighted by the friendly reception we received when we checked in. First appearances were good, a well presented bar/lounge area with a large television to watch. This was also the room where we were able to have our breakfast, no charge for this and a good selection was available.The only problem we encountered with this was that when all the tables were occupied, you struggled to get to the buffet bar and back holding your plates. Our room was clean and fresh. It was nice to discover that the pull out bed for the children had been made up already unlike other budget hotel chains where you need to do it yourself. We needed some extra towels and pillows which the staff provided without question immediately. We are frequent visitors to York and will certainly use this hotel again.

1 Thank WiganAlison