“Cheap digs in York”

The Saddle Inn
Ranked #148 of 192 York B&B and Inns
“Cheap digs in York”
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

Clean, well maintained and a friendly welcome. Only £35 for a double room with a King size bed 15 minutes walk from the city. Great value. You are above a pub so therefore expect some noise during pub hours but did not bother us too much. I would gladly recommend this accommodation to anyone on a budget.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank Chris666Mann

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Kincardine, Canada
Reviewed September 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a good wee place to stay, only about 2 miles from York centre.We stayed there 10th thru 13th Sept 2013. It is a set of rooms over the bar. So, it does come with some noise, you should expect this. We decided it was a great excuse to join in! The people, May and Sharon were absolutely wonderful, they were decent, nice and had a great sense of humour! It's a good job I am married! The bar is nice, beer is cold and reasonably priced. There is no bar food, but it is smoke free, as is the rest of the Inn. the room was nice, at 35 pounds a night, do not expect the Ritz. But, it was clean, safe, bed was comfy and the room was refreshed daily. Room 1 has an ensuite, with a rear view that is quiet. The hallway produced some noise, due to doors slamming, but was not overly bothersome. So, in summary, safe, fun, clean, cheap with a good bed! A note of caution. The first time you go into the car park, be careful, the entrance is verrrryyy tight! Would definitely stay there again. Good job ladies!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Barrow-in-Furness, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2013

just a 30 mins walk into York car parking on site clean and friendly and only 35 pounds per night for a double room this is our third visit much cleaner this time.If you need the bus the stop is just over the road into York use your pass.weatherspoons is twenty five mins walk its built under the new travel lodge hotel this is the cheapest place for food and drink.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Melton Mowbray, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I arrived Tuesday 20th August for 2 nights for a day at York races on Wednesday 21st - room OK if a little shabby, i.e. frayed carpet, peeling paintwork in the bathroom, and honestly the windows need replacing - the traffic noise was very loud in the night apart from a couple of hours quiet. Our wardrobe was a cupboard with a few hooks in it! The good news is that the landlady and staff were extremely helpful and friendly, the room was tidied daily with bottled water and tea/coffee making facilities replenished and clean towels. The landlady did my husband a cooked breakfast on Wednesday morning, but I think only because a coach party was arriving and having breakfast, but nevertheless this was appreciated. The local customers were really nice and friendly and told us a lot of history about the area (thanks Fulford Mick!). To eat out at night try the Bay Horse and the Plough, both only a few minutes walk away. The centre of walk is walkable if you are a walker! if you know what I mean, if you drive it is about 10 minutes, parking by the river was £2 an hour though. Taxi would be about £5, it was £11 to the racecourse. On Tuesday we did a bus tour of York, headphones provided, £6 per person for a round trip lasting an hour - we see and learn far more doing this than just plodding about. As regards the Saddle Inn - I think we got what we paid for so can't grumble, but I think I might try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoanH198
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

stayed saddle inn this week we went for three nights.its two miles to york center we walked due to sunny weather. parking in york is expensive so hire taxi or bus it to town. hotel has only 5 rooms.pub was quiet most nights quiz night wed. rooms clean and tidy would stay again no meals provided at the saddle local chippy down road opens from 4pm to 9pm. good sandwich shop next door to chippy

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Perth, Australia
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Just got back from one night here. Upon arrival l got shown to my room which was a double room with en-suite which was clean and tidy. It mentioned Wi-fi but i couldn't get it in my room, but they have it in the bar. The room was a little dated and the carpets were fraying near to the bathroom but it was the cheapest in the area at the time of booking and did the job for me. They don't serve breakfast or meals but there is plenty of places to get food around the area. I would stay here again if I was on my own and needed something cheap and value for money, if I was with my girlfriend I don't think l would. It was clean, tidy and staff were helpful, just depends what you want and if worth a look.

• Stayed August 2013
blackpool
Reviewed August 8, 2013

stayed at The Saddle Inn for 2 nights from the 3rd august booked the rooms a couple of months before & right from the moment I spoken to the Landlay May I knew I would be happy staying here a real home from home very welcoming and laid back, we had 3 rooms and not one complaint from any.

can't understand previous comments what more do people expect from the prices they pay!!!! you want the hilton pay the price!!!

I just want to thank May & Staff for making us all feel so comfortable she even went out of her way to do us food for a little get together for my parents anniversary and it was lovely Baby Evie says hello and we will be back :)

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family