“So much history”

and up
The York Pass Including Hop-On Hop-Off Tour
Ranked #9 of 206 things to do in York
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the threat of nuclear war at York Cold War Bunker! On a fascinating guided tour, learn how volunteers would have played a vital role in ensuring that Britain could survive a nuclear attack. The atmospheric 1960s semi-subterranean bunker is just as it was when stood down in 1991, and the one hour guided tour is enhanced by a short film. Summer opening (25th March - October 31st): Wednesday - Sunday, plus bank holidays, between 10am and 6pm. Entrance by guided tour only, at the following times: 10:00, 11:15. 11:45, 13:00, 14:15, 15:30, 16:45.
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The fact that it was originally a roman fort, then the Vikings built on the site followed by the present build which has survived through fire and wars etc.. Amazing!!

Reviewed March 23, 2014

I visited with my two daughters aged 8 and 10 and their granddad on a trip to see something different.
When we got there we were shocked to find that their electricity had blown and all was in darkness, with electricians desperately trying to make a new fuse fit where it didn't belong. We decided to wait and after half an hour, to a big cheer from the waiting crowd all was fixed.

As we descended into the blast shelter through the starkly efficient looking stairwells and corridors, you got a real feeling for how it might of felt entering this bunker as an official while all hell was about to break loose on the surface.

After a short but quite shocking film to explain the cold war to those who may not have lived through it we were taken on a tour of all facilities inside the bunker by a well informed young lady. The tour was excellent, honest and even humorous at some points and she was able to answer any questions posed.

I was apprehensive about taking two young girls on such a visit, wondering if they would enjoy or get anything out of it, but they were thoroughly captivated by the whole aspect of what it would have been like to live under the threat of total destruction.

Very educational and sometimes shocking.

The most amusing fact is that when it was an operational bunker with few visitors it was signposted. Now as an attraction it doesn't command enough visitors to qualify for a brown sign!! Let's change that - VISIT!

1  Thank Darren_2012
Reviewed March 23, 2014

Took my husband who enjoys war things as a surprise. Very different and informative. He really enjoyed it.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

I went to the bunker this morning with my Son and my two Granddaughters, aged 8 and 11, my Son thought it would interest me, being a Cold War Veteran, I served in the Royal Navy in the 1950's on Aircraft Carriers in the North Atlantic off the coast of Norway and round north of Norway of Russia, I also helped prepared Aircraft for Operation Grapple (Christmas Island tests) by Cocooning them in experimental Plastics to see if it would stop the Radioactivity getting through
Back to the bunker, it was very interesting and the girls liked it, I thought the CD they showed might have frightened them, but they were OK
I have never visited one of these bunkers before although I have known about several dotted about the country
We arrived to find that the electrics had gone Kaput, but the electricians had them sorted after about an hour, would recommend a visit but, I felt it was a little pricey for 2 adults and 2 children if, like me, they are on a low income
No mention that there would have been only a 4 minute warning

Reviewed March 3, 2014

As an English Heritage member, I'm always keen to seek out interesting properties, and on that score, the Cold War Bunker didn't disappoint. A fascinating glimpse into a "what could have happened" scenario of Britain under nuclear attack.
However, I'd like to add a caveat for parents. When we visited, there were many families with very young children - around the 4, 5, 6 years old mark. Those poor kids! They were bored out of their tiny skulls. This is not like Hack Green - it doesn't cater to children. Unfortunately, English Heritage markets it as though it does - our Members' Handbook showed a picture of two children playing with telephones and writing on the display boards in the Operations Room - in fact, visitors are expressly forbidden to touch ANY of the artifacts, and you are not even allowed into the Operations Room - you can only view it from a gallery (something about the fax machines preserved down there being carcinogenic!). I don't know if the EH handbook photograph is of a school visit, but on an ordinary, public tour, you will NOT touch the telephones (or anything else), nor will you write on the display boards. Just a warning! The very young children had to be continually shushed by their parents, especially through the DVD section of the tour, and I really did feel sorry for them.
However! If you've got older children (or no children) and you're interested in the Cold War, this is well worth seeking out - the tour guide was very informative and happy to answer any questions, and it was fascinating to learn how it all would have worked. I'd like to have been able to see more - many rooms were shut away, and it would have been great to see the Operations Room from ground level rather than the gallery - but you can't have everything. All in all, worth a visit if you're in York.

1  Thank lunettarose