Review Highlights
Magical!

Thank you so much to the lovely ladies working in your cafe today. The cakes were really good. We... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Kay C
Easingwold, United Kingdom
Enchanting

Reviewed September 3, 2019
purplelady803
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom

Recommended experiences in and around York
York Pass
The York Dungeon
148 Reviews
from $16.78
More Info
All reviews felt magical tree stumps magical experience visited yesterday all ages few hours fairies woods tat nature excitement unspoilt halloween maze route museum stories
Selected filters
Reviewed September 3, 2019

We visited as a family for my granddaughter's third birthday and had a wonderful couple of hours walking around the trail and maze. Our group comprised of 8 adults and six children ranging in age from a year old to 11 years old. It was magical for adults and children alike. I dressed up as a 'granny fairy' and the little ones had fairy wings and wands. The weather was on our side, and the setting was amazing. There was no plastic tat or Disneyfication which was a wonderful plus. A great place to use and spark imaginations without the usual 'being spoon fed' which sadly has become the norm. I would have given this 5 stars but I think that it is rather expensive for families with older children. That said, we would return.

Reviewed August 31, 2019

I visited today with my husband and daughter (just turned 9). From the moment we got out of the car and were walking towards the cafe, it felt magical. We got our map and hugely enjoyed our walk around the trail. I have actually read the reviews about there not not being evidence of fairies on the trail etc but I strongly disagree with their comments. You have really thought out the whole area really well. There are fairy houses etc and even with no sitings of fairies, it creates intrigue and gets everyone to use their imagination which makes more excitement. You don't want to be seeing fairies peaking out. The thought that they might be there or have been there is much more exciting. The attention to detail is extraordinary, the whole wooded area is beautiful and so tranquil. We swear we could hear little futterings of fairies when we were stood very still listening. The fairy museum is beautiful, so amazing with all the items and the extra "surprise" which I won't spoil for everyone was just lovely. Even my husband enjoyed himself and our daughter loved it giving it 10/10 which is high praise from her. The cafe had a lovely welcoming feel and we loved the chairs and decor of the place. The menu was lovely too and different. We enjoyed a cheese platter each and my daughter had the humous/bread/crudites. Delicious! The cakes were very tasty too. We noticed that there was hints at a halloween event. We will definitely be visiting then and we would love to see a Chirstmas themed event too!!!!!

2  Thank Julie W
Reviewed August 24, 2019 via mobile

The directions on the website are ok so long as you’re coming from York, but not everybody is and it really does need to be better signposted.

My husband decided not to come as he has MS and we had a look on the reviews and lots of people commented on the lack of seating. It’s a good thing he didn’t as there really isn’t anywhere to sit along the trail. All they need is a few tree stumps for people to sit down on.

The trail was not particularly well signposted either and we were not offered a map, though apparently they cost £2.

It was a little expensive to get in for what it is.

It is however very beautiful and my daughter had a good time.

Reviewed August 23, 2019 via mobile

Car parking a bit limited so book first. Went to cafe. Only two options on the menu both vegetarian. Very tasty but £9 for three bits of cheese you have to find on the plate with some garnish and slices of bread accompanied by olive oil and a sesame seed spice sprinkle pit. Eat before you get there. Coffee was nice though and reasonable priced.
The walk itself was lovely , lots of excited kiddies looking for fairy’s ect, . Very peaceful and not over crowded due to car parking. Had a wonderful walk, fun in the maze , and some of the “ Fairy Houses” and “Fairy Public Spaces” where quite brilliantly made and thought out.
Cafes a bit chaotic, foods outrageous, walk is safe, flat and fun, an absolute must if you have kids who need entertaining, wearing out, or aged up to nine who still believe! We will return. ( Oh!, unfortunately not dog friendly but very valid reasons why not).

Reviewed August 22, 2019

Visited Northwood with our daughter and 2 year old granddaughter.It was quite tricky to find. It felt magical even walking from the car to the cafe to begin the trail. The woods are stunning, it’s very well thought out. The fairy houses are beautiful, I agree with a previous reviewer that a few open doors in the trees would be good.. Unfortunately there were no more maps left when we arrived. We didn’t eat in the cafe but it looked lovely. Even if you don’t like fairies (how is that possible!) it is still a lovely walk and there are plenty of hiding and den making opportunities.
PLEASE provide regular benches along the route or tall tree stumps for us less mobile people to take a rest. There is no where along the route to rest.
A lovely few hours.