All reviews free parking massive bonus definately stay here we arrived early close to city centre single room tea coffee few minutes walk visiting york rear
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Stayed here with my wife while having a night out on the town with friends. Room was small, a bit dated but clean enough. Staff were pretty friendly and really I couldn't fault them.
The pry bar marks on the door frame had me a bit worried but we decided to stay anyway.

The issue is that many of the rooms are accessed individually from the car park / beer garden area, which is not secured at night, so anyone could be wandering around in the dark.

We came back to the door to our room to find a guy sitting on the door step. As we approached he got up out of the way without saying anything and I proceeded to unlock the door.

Luckily my wife is observant and as we entered the room she noticed the guy running towards us. Thankfully we managed to get the door part way shut before he got to us, but he did manage to get his foot and arm in around the door. He continued to try and force his way in while we held the door shut. After a minute or so he retracted his arm and leg and we managed to get the door shut and locked.
He continued to kick at the door for a while before running off when other guests came to investigate.

Thankfully I am quite a large bloke so I didn't have to much trouble keeping him out. But I don't know what would have happened if my wife was on her own. Doesn't really bear thinking about.

Next morning the staff tried to brush it off by saying it was another guest who simply had the wrong room!

Local friends have all said that the Five Lions was a pretty rough pub, looks like it is still struggling to shake off that reputation.

Room tip: Go for a room inside the main pub rather than one of the rooms off the car park.
Date of stay: August 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
3  Thank Shimmy_Sham
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

Just arrived home after staying one night and couldn't really fault anything about stay . Friendly clean and warm room on arrival room 10 . Location great . Breakfast was as good as in some 3 star hotels we have stayed in . Parking included in price . Those who have wrote bad review can't understand why . Overall a lovely stay only thing is need a light outside accommodation entrances a bit dark when returning at night .

Date of stay: December 2013
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here recently for a night out in York.. Great find, recently been refurbished and the rooms are a nice size I had a single room and couldn't fault it.. Off road parking and being in the town centre add to its appeal.. Will definitely use this place again in the future

Date of stay: December 2013
Trip type: Traveled with friends
2  Thank jaydablade
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I stayed in the 5 Lions for 2 nights and the staff were very helpful with storing my case (both when I arrived early and on my last day when I was off on business in the city and returned in the evening to collect my case). I didn't need any of the car park spaces but it was ideally located near many bus stops.

The cooked breakfast on Saturday was delicious - pity it wasn't available on other days of the week as well.

It was cheaper than other B&Bs I enquired with in York but it was still dearer than other tourist hot spot accommodation I've stayed at in other locations around England.

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2013

When we arrived the nine of us were welcomed into the hotel by Sarah who made us welcome from start to finish on our trip to York.

The rooms were all ready for us in a timely fashion and very clean and tidy, with York City Centre on the doorstep, you were close to all amenities

Every one of our group members commented on how clean and presentable the rooms where and loved the breakfast in the mornings, so much so we are going to be making a return trip next year.

Credit must go to all the staff working in the hotel that from start to finish never stopped to make our stay a pleasant one, reflected in the fact we will be returning sooner rather than later.

In summary a friendly, clean, well situated place to stay, close to all local amenities with breakfast included and with a price to reflect this truly amazing oasis in the middle of York.

Room tip: Room 6 is a single room but with a Queen size bed in it
Date of stay: November 2013