“Good location, basic accommodation”

Premier Inn York City (Blossom St South) Hotel
Ranked #10 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Great location for exploring York on foot. Parking close by but expensive, hotel clean and basic as you would expect. Expensive for what you get. Room was large and comfortable but dark with one small window.

1  Thank Lynsey M

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I stayed at the south part of the hotel with my teenage son and 7 year old grandson. We arrived early so our room was not ready this was not a problem because we knew we were too early. The lady in reception took our cases and stored them in a locked room, gave us a map of York and off we went for a good day. We had a vey clean family room on the ground floor room 3, the room was big enough with plenty off room for our clothes, sheets were soft and clean, we had plenty of pillows and they all looked new ( yes I always check for stains ) we did not a very good view from our room back window but this was ok for us we did not come to York for a good view from our room, the bathroom was ok with a great bath and shower. We were only given one hand towel for the room, but I asked for more this was not a problem for them and the next day they must have remembered because the cleaning lady gave us lots the next day. I only drink de-caff coffee I was given the green de-caff instead of the normal coffee plus lots more little milks.
THE BED....
The last time I stayed at this hotel the bed matrasses was very soft and very comfy, but this time it was very hard I did not get a good sleep at all, the next day I told reception staff who were very sorry and told me they would have the cleaning lady put a couple of duvets under my sheets to make the bed more comfortable and to my surprise it did so the next 3 night I had a softer bed plus they gave me a one night refund which was taken off my card on my return home.

THE BREAKFAST...
The food was very good and what a bargain I had with 2 free children, you could have fresh fruit, muffins, cereal, yogurts low and full fat, eggs any style, porridge from the kitchen, bacon, sausage etc.. I do not feel the restaurant is big enough for both hotel's the q's were very big, I would say go early or late, I do feel they did not have enough staff clearing the tables.

THE STAFF
All the staff were very cheerful with a good attitude for the guests.

On reading some of the other reviews, if you have a problem with anything you need to inform the staff there and then, I know they will go out of their way to help, they did me. I am already looking forward to my next stay.

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor room 3 is at the back, no noise or A/C noise
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank QUEENANN57
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We have just returned from a 2 night stay. Although our room was not ready when we got there the staff were very friendly and aplogised for this.
The stay itself was good bedroom very clean and bathroom big.
Our only problem was the restaurant and bar were very short staffed.
We had to wait 5 minutes for someone to come and serve us with a drink at the bar.
Our first morning again staff shortages manager having to go and take payments for breakfast from people who had not paid leaving people who had waiting to be seated.
Breakfast is self service which is great but the area is far to small for the amount of people staying from both north and south hotel.Could not keep buffet filled large queues and cups running out had to asks both mornings for cups.
staff very pleasant under the shortage and were very helpful nothing to much trouble.
We realises that it is the school holidays but not big enough breakfast area for both hotels

2  Thank suesue74
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The hotel and staff were exceptional and the overall stay was very good. The location was prime to York City Centre. The hotel had great facilities for the children, the breakfast and evening meals we had were very tasty and very fresh.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

Very clean quiet and spacious room. Not too far too walk from the train station and the city walls at Mickelgate. Bed one of the comfiest I've slept in. Only downside very small window that didn't open very far

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 18, 2013

Booked a family room inc breakfast during the summer holidays. We found the room to be very small for 4 people. No room to move around or store 4 bags/cases. Did not feel we could relax in the room at all. Our outlook was a wall, bins and air con units - nice. Air con units went off at 11.00pm as the staff promised but the first night we heard lots of banging doors, loud voices and things been thrown into the bin. Breakfast was not a nice experience. Poor quality food and long q's. I do understand that they serve both North and South but it was the quality of food that really let them down.

The only plus was the helpful staff and the location. Not far to walk into the town centre.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank katherinejb
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just back from spending a long weekend in York with my Wife, before booking this hotel we had looked at various hotels and Self Catering places, we were recommended to stay at this hotel by my Son and his Partner as they had stayed at this hotel earlier in the year, but we were advised not to book the north hotel and we seen why it does not look as clean as the south of course outside looking in does not do much , but we did notice that you had to go through a Costa coffee shop to get to the reception at the Premier Inn North Blossom Street, York and at £259 for 3 nights was a bargain to us both, we requested some more pillows before we arrived and they were in the room waiting for us.

We travelled by East Coast Train from Edinburgh to York, and when we arrived in York the heat just met us when we stepped out into the street, we then turned right outside the station, walked up a small hill and over , passed the Railway Institute and the Taxi Office, then turned right into Blossom Street,on the Right hand side we passed the Windmill Pub, then another Pub and then we came to the Hotel less than a couple of minutes from the station.

Check in went very smoothly, the Receptionist made us very welcome, we paid for the room and she explained that there was a Restaurant which serves Breakfast and Dinner, there was also a bar, she then asked us when we were staying to and then gave us our key card, she also explained that the key card would let us into the corridor for the lift (which I thought this was very good security) but you had to watch who was coming after you as it could have been anyone from the street. We took the lift to the 3rd floor where our room was (301), slipped the card into the holder to open the door and there it was the room which we were spending 3 nights in, the room was spotless and the Toilet, the room consisted of a double bed, 2 side bedside tables, a dressing table and 2 chairs, plenty space to hang up your clothes, a deep drawer and 3 coat hooks, your complimentary tea and coffee was sitting there and also a TV for your own comfort.

The room is situated at the back of the hotel overlooking the canopy of the station in the distance , no sound what's so ever, did not even hear any children running about the hotel corridors, if you have forgotten anything you can ask at the reception, plenty of supplies of Tea, Coffee or milk if you run out of it.

What's in Blossom Street , well it is a busy road with Cars and Buses, it is very wide, there is a Fish and Chip Shop, KFC, Cinema, Sainsbury's Local, Italian Restaurant and a JD Witherspoons Pub We ate in here on the Friday for Dinner very reasonable, and on the Saturday we fancied a breakfast so we went for 2 Rolls and Sausage (4 in one roll amazing) and the last day we ate Breakfast in here, all the other times we ate out in York. The hotel is handy for the wall, the National Railway Museum and within walking distance to Restaurants, pubs and shops and the tourist attractions.

The weather was excellent , we asked for a map of York at the Reception Desk and was given one without any questions, we proceeded to go out and check York out , when we were approached by this Local Older Lady as she had seen us with the Map in my hand and explained to us both to get a better view of the Minster was to go a long the wall at the station side and she was right excellent photos and views of the Big Wheel and the Minster.

York itself was busy with Tourists just like ourselves, We noticed that there were many Japanese Tourists and on the Saturday Night in York it came alive with Hen and Birthday Nights - we did not come across any trouble at all - everyone one was in a happy mood, then on the Sunday all seemed to be quiet back to its usual.

My Wife and I left on the Monday morning check out was fine and was asked by the Receptionist if we had enjoyed our stay in the Hotel and in York, we then proceeded to walk back to the station to get our train this time back to Glasgow on a Cross Country Train. after spending a great weekend in York - we shall be back but this time we are hoping to stay at a Self Catering accommodation which we spent at many years ago.

Thank you to the Premier Inn and York for our long awaited break.

Room Tip: Ask if you can have a room at the back of the hotel - no noise, better then the front with all the t...
2  Thank ineedabreak2008