“peaceful week”

Ranked #22 of 50 Specialty Lodging in York
Norwich, United Kingdom
“peaceful week”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Just enjoyed a week in a 2 bed lodge here. Although only minutes from a handy park an ride into york, this lovely little park was quiet and peaceful. It was also close to yorks ring road for getting out and about by car and exploring a little further. We went to malham cove, fountains abbey and harrogate all about an hours drive from here. Our lodge was great to return to after a busy day out. The kitchen had all you needed, and was clean and modern with a view of the lake. Tesco is with the park and ride so handy to buy anything you need as you get on or off the frequent buses. For a no cooking evening in try gale lane fisheries for superb fish and chips, only 3 or 4 mins drive away. The details are in the file left by the lodge owners in the lodge with lots of other ideas for places to eat and visit locally. Great spot to enjoy days in york and surrounding area.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I plus our 6 month old puppy stayed for a week in Holly lodge. The accommodation was fantastic, clean and stocked with up to date appliances. The family who own the lake are extremely helpful and friendly and I really do not understand the poor reviews!!! The location was great - park and ride across the road was cheap and regular. As for the fishing my husband had 3 - 18lb 22lb and 24lb.
All in all a great break and we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Ellie D
Beverley, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We have just returned from our third year at Lakeside Lodges. We usually visit twice a year because the location is so handy for York and the peace and quiet of the surroundings makes for a very relaxing family holiday. From the friendliness of the staff to the superb landscaping it's a fantastic place to stay. We visit as a family of 5 including a 2 year old and the staff go out of their way to ensure we have all we need for a toddler as well as the adults. Looking forward to seeing Neil and his staff next year.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Jan O
Wirral
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Have recently returned from our 5th visit to the Lodges. The location is perfect, everything close by that you could possibly need, and yet the place is so peaceful and quiet you assume you are miles from civilisation. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, every year suggesting somewhere else we can visit locally with the children. The lodge itself is great and well equipped. IGNORE other reviews about the facilities provided, this is a self-service holiday lodge after all, and paying for electricity is clearly stated on booking. It generally costs us £5 for the week, hardly costly. The view over the lake is stunning, and the greenery in front of the lodges is ideal for small children to play and enjoy themselves.
We will be returning time after time. It's our little piece of heaven.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Peter B
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

The positive was that our lodge overlooked a lovely lake, and the geographical position was great, ten minutes from York with a Tesco nearby. However the attitude, ethos and cleanliness of the place was poor and means we won't be going again. A simple glance of the lodge manual gives you a sense of the owner's sullen attitude, ('Do not retune the television. I spend an hour every week fixing televisions that have been retuned...'). The irony is that we spent 15 minutes trying to work the DVD before eventually finding out that the scart wasn't plugged in, oh and there was no remote for it.

On about day three I went to the reception and checked if the meter reading hanging up in the kitchen meant we were paying separately for the energy (there was nothing about it in the lodge book.) I couldn't believe the defensive, rude attitude I received in response to my question. He immediately started telling me that this is clearly stated on his website and on the Hoseasons website. I hadn't seen this when I booked but I really didn't mind, I was just asking! However his attitude meant the simple query became a hostile encounter with him snarling and talking to me like I was a mixture of an adversary and an idiot. What a strange and counter-productive way for a lodge owner to behave.

There was a real grubbiness about the lodge. For us this was reflected in brown in the inside of mugs, a stain on the sheet, a chip on a glass, dirty rugs and bird poop on the porch. Also, the owner must have really scrimped because there was no hand wash provided, no sponge and only one toilet roll, so we had to buy cleaning products on our first night. Also, we were never able to get hot water out of the bathroom sink, so had to boil the kettle and carry in water to wash our faces.

One of the other bizarre things about the lodge handbook is its instructions for your last day. DO NOT go to reception, but wait till, 'a member of the family,' comes around. So I had the grumpy owner turning up at my lodge and telling me that I owed him £15.80. He didn't take cards, so he wanted cash there and then. (So have your exact money ready, even though you have no way of knowing the amount on advance.)

I'll be avoiding a 'family run' lodge again after this experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Freddy J
Boldon
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Just returned from our annual 2 week stay - As always this place is a pleasure to visit. It's so relaxing and peaceful - It's a joy to wake up to the view of the lake! The grounds are well kept and the variety of trees around the lake are amazing. Fishing proved a challenge but nevertheless if you're willing to put in the time and effort you'll certainly reap the rewards....

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2013

What a pleasure to wake up each morning to a 10 acre lake from our huge full length windows of five star lodge no 11. Quality and beautifully furnished with a Swedish feel, sauna and aqua bath. Even your fishing gear has its own space. I will miss sitting and seeing the astonishing view over the lake each morning over my breakfast. The owners are excellent with a welcome pack, fresh flowers and milk and tea upon your arrival. Everything is catered for and if not a phone is in the accommodation to call Neil or a family member (nothing is too much). The fishing is on your door step literally, but this is a specimen water which has depths of 18ft with carp up to 30lb and tench up to 12lb. Do note it is a hard water to fish, but you can see the fish especially from lodges 12 -14. If commercial fishing is more your thing do not rely solely on this venue. Willows fishery and Poppleton lake is only 3 - 4 miles away, both of which are commercial and my partner had two productive days at the (Willows).

York it's self is awesome with lots to do and transport links are superb, park and ride every ten minutes from the local Tesco's or York Taxis charge £7 from the venue gate or even from your lodge. Recommended takeaways will deliver to your lodge as they know how to use the gate system.

We will be returning next year. We only came back yesterday, hurry up July 2014.

Note ! this is a peaceful venue and is ideal for couples wanting a quiet holiday (not a good place for groups of youngsters or families really). Long may this continue.

Room Tip: No 11 for full lake view, no 12-14 for balcony over lake and looking onto huge carp swimming on the...