“Great family weekend”

Ranked #22 of 50 Specialty Lodging in York
uk
“Great family weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in A cottage (minster) which sleeps 7.
It has a triple room, twin and double. All rooms were perfectly presented, nice and clean and very spacious. Pillows quite hard though so maybe take your own. Kitchen and bathrooms were also very roomy, towels are provided too.

The surroundings were lovely, huge lake with ducks and plenty of space for fishing should you wish to. Also a few little benches and picnic tables for if weather is nice to sit around the lake.

Not much in near by vicinity apart from tesco over the bridge but there is a park and ride facility in tesco car park should you wish to take trips into York or the designer outlet mall.

We had a great family break here and we will be returning.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank santaslittlehelper

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2013

Clean,friendly ,peaceful, beautiful location and a sunny weekend lovely!!!
We arrived and were greeted by a man who asked about our journey and explained our stay. Arrived at our lodge that was vey clean and just what we expected . Greeted wit a jug of milk tea and sugar what more after a long journey. Comfy bed . Clean sheets , clean shower and clean towels. Loved it!!!

• Stayed March 2013
sunderland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2013

Totally unimpressed by this place - the only good thing is the fab location. Extremly rude lady met us upon our arrival barking " yes can I help you" at us. we explained we had a booking to which she replied in a very rude and aggressive manor " ha! Not at 11.40 you don't" she the suggested we go over to tescos till 3 as the lodge wouldn't be ready till then. When we returned at 3 her obnoxious husband gave us our keys and didn't speak another worded us so we found the lodge ourselves. In dire need of a revamp as things were old and mismatched, wasn't told about the fact you had to pay for your own electric and we had to have the heaters on a lot as it was freezing, no hot water and instructions on how to work an immersion heater completely baffled me and nothing I did worked so we had no hot water for the duration of our stay. The utter rudeness of the staff here and pathetic attempt at being a "quiet lakeside lodge" when it's just a cabin with a lake banged in the middle of a very busy town means I won't be staying here or recommending this place to my dog never mind friends. A big and very expensive let down. I'm staying at premier inn next time and chances are it will be cleaner.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank leanne n
Blackpool
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in Minster cottage during half term 18-22 Feb and found the cottage to be quite spacious and perfectly satisfactory for our group of 7. No problems here with cleanliness and there were plenty of pots pans plates etc (we had brought some of our own due to other reviews but this wasn't necessary). The lake setting was beautiful & location couldn't have been much better, close to York. The guy who runs this place though does appear to be a little grumpy and needlessly curt. Not a big deal & it didnt spoil our stay but its not pleasant all the same. The lady in reception was lovely however so if you would like some help or need anything probably best to ask her :) ... Other than this we had a lovely break, the kids enjoyed themselves and we would most definitely consider returning as we found this cottage good value for money.

• Stayed February 2013
Leeds
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

We stayed in Lodge 9 for 3 nights over valentine’s weekend. The view from the lodge was amazing, a few times we sat outside on the decking with a glass of wine and watched the birds it was so peaceful! There is a lovely walk around the lake with beautiful snow drop flowers all around :)

Inside the lodge it had everything we needed and was spotless! The TV in the living room is a flat screen and much more up-to-date than the one in the pictures on the website. Our bed was comfortable and there was lots of space for clothes in the draws and wardrobe.

You pay for your electricity at the end of your stay, the owners make this really easy to monitor because the heating and water heating are on timers. (We had the heating on a few hours in the morning and night, watched the TV every night and used all the appliances in the kitchen and the electric bill came to £7)

The owner of the lodges is really nice, gave all the information we needed when we arrived and put together a fabulous welcome book filled with information from how things work in the lodge to local things to do.

The only things I could think of that might have made it even better is maybe a few more towels for a weekend stay and to supply some cleaning products like washing up liquid/ cleaning sprays.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Samantha C
Saltash, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2012

We went to the A cottage from Cornwall with our 2 grown up sons and their girlfriends on the Friday before Christmas. We had a number of family get togethers during the week as we originate from York and on the surface most visitors were quite impressed with our accomodation. The location was lovely and as a fly fisherman I was keen to take advantage of the lake in the "front garden".
We arrived at 2.40 on the Friday afternoon to be informed quite curtly that we would have to remain outside the grounds until 3.00, we became the front end of a lengthy queue which was finally admitted at 3.05. Our first impression of the cottage was "a little dated and worn but satisfactory" and plenty of room for us and our belongings. The local Tesco store was our next port of call, very conveniently located about 5 minutes walk away, since we had brought nothing in the way of food with us in the car.
It was when we started using the facilities that things started to unravel a little: the cooker control symbols had worn off so it took us some time to figure out how to cook our tea; the remnants of a previous meal was sandwiched between two of the dinner plates and when I went for the stack of dishes to use instead I was showered with tomato soup, again left by a previous guest. I got my tee shirt into the washing machine and got the soup out of it, however in the whole time we were there we never managed to dry anything in the tumbler.
At this point my wife decided to put the entire inventory of the kitchen through the dishwasher while she had a proper look round. She found that the kitchen bin had not been cleaned and that there were items of rubbish, including food under the corner unit in the lounge. Any attempt to hoover was thwarted by an overfilled vacuum bag smelling of stale milk, we could only ever clean the floor with a sweeping brush after that.
Once we had cleaned the cottage to an acceptable standard we went on to have a lovely Christmas with only one further upset when the toilet door lock fell apart locking me inside on the morning of our departure.
The initial dissappointment was soon overcome but the question has to be asked, "Why is the reality so divorced from the official website testimonials?" It looks as if they are contrived or something has changed drastically in the last few months which has affected the management and running of this site. Hoseasons might wish to take a good look at York Lakeside Lodges while they are pinning their flag to them.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank Steve H
manchester
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

This is a bit of a late review as I stayed here in February this year.

I decided to book a solo 3 day break in February this year and booked a last minute break through Hoseasons.

When I arrived I was shown to my lodge which was a one bedroom with twin beds. The lodge was very dated it was adequate for my stay and a last minute break but very overpriced. It just looked as if it hadn't been updated since it was built - theres traditional and old fashioned and then theres lakeside lodges! The lodges were not what I expected at all. The lake is lovely to look at and peaceful but just sort of plonked in the middle of a town centre, there's a college just up the road to the lodges and houses that run at the back of the lodges. There is a train line nearby as it kept me awake every night.

The beds were ok, I felt this stay was very very over priced for what it was. Wifi is charged at £5 but when I went I reception to ask for it I was met by a very abrupt man, check our was 10am on the dot but you can't leave until someone comes to the lodge to physically read the meters then collect payment for your electric usage.

I guess if your after a base for York sightseeing then the is ok but you'd be better off saving some £ and booking into a premier inn.

Wouldn't stay here again and I wouldn't recommend it either

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank mum-rin
Also consider these accommodations in or near York
Holiday Inn York
#1 of 1 in Tadcaster
Home Farm
Home Farm
#1 of 1 in Stillingfleet

Been to York Lakeside Lodges? Share your experiences!