“A hidden gem - and gluten free!”
Review of La Cremeria - CLOSED

La Cremeria
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Ice cream parlour and light lunches
Reviewed April 8, 2012

This lovely little place is hiding just under the west front of the Minster, near Bootham Bar. They make their own ice cream & have a great selection of cakes & bakes, butties & wraps, as well as a good Chai Latte - a rare find indeed! If all that were not enough, there are gluten free versions of most things on the menu - including the sandwiches - and the soup of the day is fantastic. Very friendly service too - I shall be going back!

4  Thank Bibliofi

Reviewed January 2, 2012

Wonderful haven from the cold. Superb hot chocolate and great ice cream floats. Locally sourced ingredients and personal service makes it a unique experience. Easily missed and very small but squeezed eight of us in no problem. Try it!

2  Thank Markwoodward
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We've been here on a number of occasions and every time enjoyed good food, drink and fantastic, attentive and friendly service.

Our first visit was by chance when my dad noticed the gluten free sign and we've returned on a number of occasions, leaving fully satisfied each time.

For those with gluten/wheat allergies, my dad has a wheat intolerance but has enjoyed the gluten free sandwiches, soup, cakes, brownies etc without any after effects (which hasn't always been the case in other establishments).

Each visit has surpassed our expectations and I'm sure we'll enjoy many more visits in future.

The surroundings are cosy and it's often busy but we'd recommend either waiting or popping back for an enjoyable snack and/or drink.

2  Thank mpthompson1983
Reviewed August 23, 2011

This little cafe and ice cream shop in High Petergate deserves a mention. The staff are delightful and couldn't be more helpful, even for a small order. I mention this as the number of covers is of a scale that you wonder how they survive, especially out of season.

I was lucky on the coffee front. In fact I have been every visit. They'll give you some hot water to extend your espresso too.

Each time I've been there, I've used the very clean loos, that are in the back, past all the storage shelves. So you can have a look at what they use in their food, as you go past.

Lots of locals use this cafe. Always a good sign. A great little find.

2  Thank EdPottle
Reviewed July 28, 2011

This cafe has a fantastic location, on a lovely side street very close to the Minster. We ordered two double espressos from the extremely friendly owner. when they arrived, however, they were undrinkable. so why a 4-star review? The customer service that resulted from me pointing this out was exemplary. they immediately made me another one and, when this was similar, had no problem with us not paying. i almost wished the owner had not been so nice, i felt guilty about complaining! he said he would have the espresso machine serviced ASAP as he agreed the coffee was not what it should be.
Don't let any of this put you off, honestly. its a great place with home-made ice cream and cakes and, as i say, the owner is one of the nicest chaps you could hope to meet. i didnt catch his name but people like him make all the difference!