“A welcome break”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed September 6, 2010

We stayed for one night at the Cedar Court in an Executive room which was plush. The room was comfortable spacious with an amazing bathroom. The staff were attentive and really friendly. Breakfast was lovely too, next time I would love to try the spa and leisure facility.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Panda7478
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2010

Dear guest,

Many thanks for your positive feedback following your recent stay at the Grand, it is great to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you enjoyed your room and our breakfast offering. We are currently reviewing this to increase the standards even more to ensure all of our guests receive the best possible start to their day.

I do hope we get the chance to welcome you back to the hotel in the very near future.

Reviewed September 6, 2010

Just returned from a long weekend break in York - at the Cedar Court. This 5 star hotel has no faults at all. Everything from the minute you arrive to the minute you check out is pure 5 star. Locality is good - just a 5 minute walk to the City centre & 2 minutes from the Station. We stayed B&B and the food was amazing - we tried to eat in the restaurant on the Saturday evening but it was fully booked - so the Concierge arranged a taxi & booked us into an amazing restaurant in Castlegate. Very much appreciated - thank you. Would definately come back to this amazing hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Diane1003

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback following your recent stay at the Grand, I am delighted to read you enjoyed your time with us and in particular our Concierge were on hand to recommend the next best place to eat when our own HQ restaurant was fully booked. I do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you to York once again and you get the chance to eat dinner with us.

Reviewed September 4, 2010

Stayed at the Cedar Court twice now and although we experienced a few teething problems (the hotel had only just opened) on our first stay, the management dealt with these issues very well and our second stay could not be faulted. Everything about our stay was 5 star - our room, the service, the food and the staff were all excellent. It is not the cheapest hotel in York but must be the best. Well worth booking for that extra special weekend away.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 42Newcastle
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2010

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fantastic post following your recent stay at the hotel it is wonderful to read that your return visit to the hotel lived up to your expectations, in particular that our team stood out by delivering the highest hospitality.

I do hope it is not too long before we can look after you once again.

Reviewed September 2, 2010

I understand that the Star system is based on the facilities that a Hotel has and the ammenities it can offer to its guests. So, yes, this hotel has a Spa / Pool (although we didn't have a chance to use it), business facilities, attentive staff including doormen in bowler hats, all of which, I am sure, add up to a 5* hotel.

It is letting itself down in a couple of small areas though and these are things that wouldn't bother me in the slightest in a hotel that was less than 5*, but which niggle a bit in a hotel that prides itself on quality.

Firstly I was baffled by the system used by the room cleaners / turn down service. The day we arrive there's a wonderful selection of black and green teas. So I use up a couple of the greens, my fiance drinks some blacks, we eat the biscuit (a pretty good shortbread) and head to the restaurant for dinner. We come back to find the greens have been replaced by a couple of black teas and there is a new biscuit (yum, chocolate chip cookie).

The turn down service on this night consists of both corners of the duvet being turned back, a cloth with "Good Night" / "Good Morning" laid by the bed and the slippers laid on it. It did seem a little odd. Previous experience of turn down service has involved a small degree of tidying up - having clean cups ready etc. Still, the biscuit was nice and there was still one green tea left.

The room cleaning the next day brought another cookie, more black tea (there's quite a lot of it now!) and no replacement green, perhaps they've run out as they've obviously not spotted that I'm using it up! I know I could've asked Reception, but I brought some redbush from home (just in case!) so it seemed silly to moan. On the other hand, yesterday I used the shower cap so I could keep my hair dry (obviously!) during my before-dinner shower and that wasn't replaced. In fact, the items I DID use hadn't been replaced (shower gel), but now there are TWO bottles of conditioner and TWO bottles of body creme.

Also, they supply two rolls of loo roll (with the ends in nice points) and we used half a roll. That half had been removed and a completely fresh roll was waiting for us. What happened to the used half?! Maybe they think it looks better to replace it, but surely we could have used up a half-roll quite happily? They also can't have cleaned properly as they'd left my old flannel hanging over the shower head.

The turn down on the second night completely left out the cloth on the floor and replacements to the teas / biscuit. It was as if someone had run in, tugged on the bedding and run out again! If we hadn't been aware of a turn down service we'd have been baffled!

The bathroom was lovely, big mirror lit from behind that doesn't mist up if you leave it on during your shower. The shower has a drenching shower head and a smaller hand held part for rinsing yourself off. I just left it on while I was in the shower! It was one of the best showers I've ever had. The bath products are Molton Brown and very nice.

The room had high ceiling and was a very quirky shape. There were fluffy dressing gowns, slippers, shoe cleaning supplies, a decent iron and board, the hairdryer is free to move around (unlike some places that chain it to the wall!) and there was an umbrella! A nice big branded one, that was a nice touch.

The oddest thing was the greeen glow. Over the door was a large round emergency light with a small green light in the corner. It wasn't until all the lights were turned out that we realised that the whole thing was then lit up in an eerie glow that bathed the entire room green. I took a picture, but my photography doesn't do it justice. It didn't stop us sleeping and certainly meant you could get to the loo in the middle of the night without stubbing your toe, but still, most odd.

The staff were very friendly. In particular the lovely man at the bar who remade my milkshake. I ordered banana and it was dreadful. Had never seen a banana in its life. So I returned it. They guy who made it can't have been less bothered and barely apologised. Shortly afterwards (I'm guessing the head bartender) comes over and asks if he can personally make me a new one. So I ask for strawberry - as long as they're fresh strawberries - so he shows me the punnet of berries he'll be using, makes it brings it over and has even put extra strawberries on the side as a garnish. Very impressed by him, more than made up for his colleague being dismissive.

We had one dinner in the HQ restaurant, which was nice. Not amazing, but nice. The second day we all ate as a party in the Grand Boardroom, rather chilly in there, not been a warm August. They forgot to ask our table if any of us were vegetarians and although I'm not I would have preferred a vegetarian meal. Again, it was nice. The staff were attentive and one girl happily fetched me an orange juice as I wasnt drinking. Although it did take a while to arrive and when it did it wasn't fresh, it was carton.

The breakfasts were good. First time I had the full Yorkshire. The mushrooms, tomato and egg were OK, but not as tasty as the could've been or should've been. If I'd been paying the £11-something for it I'd have been very disappointed. Second day I went for the Scotch pancakes. Better then the previous breakfast, but still not convinced it was worth the price you'd have to pay. There was also a decent range of cereal, pastries, fresh fruit, the yoghurts were in nice glass pots and there were portions of smoothie. The OJ wasn't fresh, but the apple juice had settled, so I guess that may have been of better quality, but there was no way to mix it back up!

All in all we had a lovely stay and the staff are great, but I'm still not totally convinced that it's a 5* hotel.

• Stayed: August 2010

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay at the Grand, it is through feedback that we can ensure we are consistently improving and maintaining our high standards. I can see that a number of aspects through your stay were positive including our team who went the extra mile to ensure your personal preference was met and I apologise if an inconsistency on turndown frustrated you and your green tea was not replenished however I am delighted you noted the little extras such on turndown such as the wonderful hand made biscuits and that you liked your room.

In regards to the dinner you attended, the menu was picked by the organisers of the function and the vegetarians were highlighted to us before the event however it is a shame you didn't ask one of our team if you could change your choice as they are there to make sure your wishes are carried out and could have changed your choice to a vegetarian option.

It is nice to read however that you enjoyed your breakfasts on both days and in particular you pancakes, they really are a nice treat when your away from home relaxing!

In conclusion I do hope the fact that your green tea wasn't replenished didn't spoil your break away with us too much and although it is this comment that has led to your rating I do hope you will return to the Grand in the future where we can look after you once again.

Reviewed August 31, 2010

This hotel was amazing. The room was spacious and luxurious.
We paid only 119 pounds through laterooms.com, which was really a steal.
The hotel is fabulous - with staff to match! Their attention to detail is immaculate. The rooms are all fantastic, the staff all very friendly but highly professional. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend .

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EstherD

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your fantastic post following your recent stay at the hotel, it is fantastic to read that you enjoyed your time with us. I do hope it is not too long before we can welcome you once again to the Grand.

Reviewed August 31, 2010

I have now stopped at the Cedar Court several times as it is convenient for work. This is the only reason I would stop there.

Selling itself as a 5* hotel and upmarket fits with the external appearance (the doorman, grand entrance, quiet bar etc) but the little things don't add up.

My wife stopped with me a few weeks ago. The room was nice but when we went to bed there was a light on in the air conditioning ceiling recess. After calling down we were visited and told it was the same in many rooms and couldn't be turned off. It appears that someone has been working in there and left the lights on.

We were moved to a different room (a slightly bigger one) and without the said light on.

Settle down and the room this time is lit by a lovely christmas tree arrangement from behind the wall mounted television. The TV lan red and green lights were flashing away. Simple to solve that one - pull the cables out.......

Final straw was the shower in the morning. Popped it on, getting in an the 'rain-shower' head fell from the ceiling and caught by shoulder. If it has been my head it would probably have knocked me out it was so heavy. Someone attended the room and while seemingly concerned he was just too polite. This has never happened before blah blah. Free bucks fizz for breakfast.........

Oh yes breakfast. When I first stopped there the service was slow (incredibly slow) but there was fresh orange juice, little glass yoghurt pots, loads of fruit etc. Slowly this is disappearing even though it is still on the breakfast menu. The glass pots have gone, replaced by the local supermarket plastic pot. The orange is now carton brand a la a cheap hotel. Fresh natural yoghurt not available. Even the peppermint tea, once served in a lovely glass tea pot which accentuated the quality of where you were has now been dragged to a small white standard pot.

Not great quality for money, indeed if you pay the rack rate i would say surprisingly poor.

Staff all good generally, except please can someone ask the breakfast staff to try and wake up before coming into work. Being ignored for 10 minutes is not a good experience - I was about to just walk out.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank Petecheshire
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2010

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your feedback following your recent stay at the Grand, it is disappointing to read that as a repeat guest we have not met your expectations by delivering our usual high standards, please be assured this is not typical of our service that has been consistently well received since opening the hotel.

In the coming month we have a number of key people joining our management team including Restaurant & Bars Manager, Front of House Manager & Head Concierge and I am confident that once on board you will see a significant increase on the level of service we already provide on the majority of occasions.

We are also reviewing our current breakfast offering to ensure that we exceed our guests expectations and over deliver on a quality offering.

I am concerned that no one attended to your issues before you left the hotel and would kindly ask that you contact me directly on 01904 380033 or scot.turner@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk to discuss your issues and go some way to restore your faith in the hotel.

I look forward to speaking to you.

Reviewed August 30, 2010

Spent a night here during a break in York. Hotel location is excellent, very close to the centre of the city. Our standard room was much bigger than you get in Hiltons and Radissons and because the hotel has not long been finished everything is brand spanking new. Very comfortable bed although my other half complained about a slight thud thud into the early hours from what must have been a nearby disco. We used the pool and jacuzzi which was very nice. We were room only and found a decent enough cafe a couple of minutes walk away for breakfast at a third of the price we would have paid at the hotel. Staff very attentive but not stuffy, and the bar was lovely although you paid for the surroundings in the cost of the drinks. We used the valet parking and were able to leave the car outside the hotel after we had checked out. Overall would recommend highly - we booked through the hotel website which was the same price as any of the comparison sites.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple