“Quality hotel near centre of York”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed July 26, 2010

All the staff we had dealings with were polite and helpful.The hotel itself is a recently renovated ex railway building.You can tell they knew how to splash the cash a hundred+ years ago.BEcause the bed was so comfortable we did not get the chance to use the pool etc as we only woke up at 10 o'clock.In my view great value for money when booked through late rooms.we will be going back.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,101)

Reviewed July 22, 2010

I stayed for one night, then came back with my wife the following weekend for three nights, and it was even better.

Rooms on both occasions were excellent.

The King Double was one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever stayed in. Double height, well-proportioned room with a good king sized bed - well furnished - marble bathroom.

The second weekend we were upgraded to the Penthouse Suite. Spectacular, well-equipped, spacious suite. Excellent views across York - among the best views available from any hotel bedroom in the city. Extraordinary bathroom, with extraordianry views from the bath. Abundant televisions and very good wi-fi.

Service was very good. Lots of knowledgeable, polite helpful staff. Excellent breakfast. They coped well with my little off-menu requests. They know their stuff.

Dinner was a little too 'Masterchef' for my tastes, clever, extremely well prepared and presented. I gather they are still in start-up mode and a larger a la carte menu will be available.

The spa and pool look great, although we did not get to try them.

Staying at the Cedar Grand Court was a pleasure, it was very relaxing and we felt well looked after. What more could one ask?

Reviewed July 21, 2010

My husband and I booked this hotel for a relaxing 2 nights away for our anniversary. We booked through last minute so got the room for less than the full rate. On arrival at 2.50pm we were advised that they did not have our booking due to some technical issues they are having with alot of internet bookings, they did apologise however the receptionist appeared to lack experience and did not know how to deal with this situation. After spending 10 minutes trying to find the booking, which was rather uncomfortable ( a 2nd couple were now waiting to book in) another receptionist appeared and told her how to get round the issue in a rather patronising and embarassing manner - again making us feel uncomfortable and rather sorry for the inexperienced receptionist. She again apologised and advised she would arrange a room for us, I informed her that on my booking I had noted that we would prefer a room on as high a level a possible however she advised me that the only double room they had was on the 1st floor, I accepted this as by this time I really just wanted to get to a room. The porter took our cases and showed us to our room, first appearances where impressive and in line with the other many 5 star hotels I have stayed in, however he then showed us our bathroom which was obviously intended for use by someone disabled, there were many support bars on the walls, a seat in the shower and sink was very small and positioned about 2 foot from the floor, not at all suitable unless you are in a wheelchair. When I questioned this the porter confirmed it was a disabled room and if we were unhappy with it he would speak to reception, which he duly did leaving us and our baggage in the room. Why didn't they advise us of this prior to allocating the room?? The porter returned and advised that there were no other rooms available as they were being serviced - I find this hard to believe at 3pm on a Sunday afternoon ie. check in time. The only option we were given was to leave the hotel and go into town for a couple of hours until another room would be ready, after a long journey I really wanted the chance to freshen up in my room prior to going anywhere. We returned to the hotel a couple of hours later and were given a key to a lovely room overlooking the walls. The room was beautifully decorated with a very adequate bathroom with lovely big bath and separate shower, definately 5 star standard. The only let down was that the bed was 2 separate divans and matresses put together, not ideal for a restful night. I would also recommend you ask for a room at the rear of the hotel as the sash windows do not protect you from the noise of people making their way home along the wall at night or the numerous passing ambulances ( I assume its a route to the hospital from the number of sirens we heard) however the hotel have little control over this. We used the spa facilities on the Monday, although they had only officially opened on the Saturday before this and you could tell. There was no information about the spa in our room and we had not seen any signage for it at reception so I called them to enquire where it was and was advised to follow the staircase to the basement. I also asked if towels were supplied and this question met with a long silence and then "I think so", not an ideal response. We made our way down to the basement where we were greeted by a very friendly member of staff and asked to sign in, however we did have to lean across a workman still doing works to do so. The pool, jacuzzi, steam room and sauna were adequate although the number of workman passing by the windows while I was in the pool area was a little off putting to say the least also a couple of items missing was somewhere to put your towel at the poolside ( yes towels are provided!!) and there is no facility to ring out your swimwear ( this is standard in all fitness clubs and hotels with facilities). Another problem is the lack of signage in spa area we took a number of wrong turns trying to exit back to our room.
Overall the hotel is lovely, definately a better quality than any others in the area however service wise it does not provide a 5 star experience. A number of staff did not appear to have any customer service experience and I think they would benefit from visiting some 5 star hotels to understand what is expected, I recently visited the Missoni in Edinburgh which is a relatively new hotel but have got customer service to perfection. I do hope that over time things improve as the hotel has the potential to be a great 5 star hotel, furnishings and location are fantastic and I do intend to revisit some time in the future when hopefully what I think are teething problems will have been smoothed over.

Reviewed July 21, 2010

My sister and I stayed for 4 days in June, we knew the spa was not open but this was not a problem for us. Our room was very spacious, very comfortable beds, beautiful bathroom with excellent shower, good TV and sockets beside the mirror plus a full length mirror which was very good. We found all the staff to be very efficient and friendly. Breakfast was very good and again the staff very helpful. The Hotel itself is just beautiful, I would stay here again in a heartbeat, if I could afford it! On the down side, yes, there was no info in the room re York or Hotel facilities, but as the Hotel had only been open for 5 weeks we made allowances for this. the front desk staff answered any queries we had and went out of there way to find out anything they did not know.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank m-verrecchia1
Reviewed July 20, 2010

2  Thank EmmaAndJonathan
Scot1082, Deputy General Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2010

Reviewed July 18, 2010

3  Thank cybilh

Reviewed July 17, 2010

Everything we expected and more.... Friendly staff were always willing to help. Nothing was too much trouble for the concierge team and helped make our stay truly memorable. Hope to return soon when all the leisure facilities are up and running. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: July 2010