“Lovely weekend break” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Hotel & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely weekend break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Had a great weekend here for my husband's birthday. I'd booked an Executive room but we were upgraded to a Deluxe room upon arrival which was huge. Rooms are well appointed and bathrooms lovely. The only downside was there was no view from the room apart from a car park but it didn't really matter.

Great breakfast both days - quite busy as it was the weekend but service remained excellent.

We used the pool a couple of times which is very nice - quiet and relaxing. Also booked a massage in the double treatment room in the spa which was great - highly recommended.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are enormous. But if you want a good view, ask in advance.
      Location
2 Thank sweetiepie79
Ben_M_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear sweetiepie79

Thank you for taking the time to review you visit to us in York.

It is always nice to hear such positive reviews and I am glad that you were happy with the room you were upgraded to.

We are glad that you were able to enjoy the full Yorkshire breakfast each morning and able to find time to sample the spa and use the health and beauty facilities.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Ben Morcombe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Gold Coast, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

The Cedar Court Grand lives up to its name - the public areas are elegant and beautiful and the room and bathroom definitely the most spacious of any I have ever experienced in the UK. Our room was fantastic - spotlessly clean, tastefully furnished in a traditional style and extremely well-appointed, and we only booked the least expensive room type. The bathroom had lovely towels and toiletries and great lighting for doing makeup. Wi-fi was good, and I really appreciated the free bottled water and the evening turn down service. The Spa area was beautiful and it was lovely to relax in the heated pool after a long day of sightseeing. The location is also fantastic, near the railway station and the city walls, and within walking distance of all the great restaurants and attractions that York has to offer.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location
Dear TravelLover50

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to us at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.

I am pleased that we were able to look after you so well, and that you enjoyed a comofrtable time whilst in York. We are very lucky to have some of the most spacious rooms you will find in hotels anywhere and that does allow for a comfortable and relaxing time for our guests.

I am particularly pleased that you enjoyed the added extras such as the Molton Brown toiletries, Harrogate Spa water and complimentary wifi throughout the hotel.

I do hope you are able to come see us again when you next visit the UK.

padstow
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

We booked a 3 night stay in July 14. Travelling by train to York as we were intending to view the minster and museums. The hotel was excellently situated for the train station and a short walk acros the bridge to the town centre. The reception staff were courteous, attentive and informative about the attractions of York.. The room was excellent with efficient air con! The Spa facilities particularly the pool were good and the staff and breakfast arrangements similarly of a high standard.
Overall excellent value for money.

Mr and Mrs Mathews

1 Thank stissey
Ben_M_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear stissey

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.

It is great you were able to take advantage of our leisure facilities - particularly the pool, and pleased that the tea, were able to look after you as well.

I hope that we can welcome you back in the not to distant future.

Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2014

I'd booked a 2 night stay as a surprise for my husband to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversary weekend and decided to book here after reading good reviews and I wanted something special! Rooms were booking very fast due to the York Races being on but I managed to find an online rate for a double room. I'd phoned up a couple of days after booking to confirm they had received the booking and to book dinner and spa treatments. They asked if we were here for a special occasion and I explained it was our anniversary.

We checked in on the Friday after work and were disappointed to learn that our room was a twin and not a double. I was told this was often a problem with online bookings and I was almost looked down upon as they assumed I had not phoned to confirm booking, and that we were one of the last people to check in (it was about 8pm) - but I explained that I did phone in fact several times! Even the young girl mentioned they had noted it was our 1st wedding anniversary!Unfortunately there were no other rooms available, they did try very hard, but gave us a complementary bottle of wine for the mistake. We were advised to speak to reception to see if a double room was available the next day - there was although it was a room for disabled access. We accepted it and it was fine, in fact probably smaller in size to our first room to give you an idea of how spacious the rooms are!

Overall its a very nice hotel and we were made to feel special by excellent concierge Jordi on our 1st night especially after the mix up. Good food and spa (although didn't realise you have to pay a supplement for hot breakfast - continental included in price). Excellent location, train station only a 2 minute walk which is great when walking in heels to catch the shuttle bus service to the races! Spacious rooms, comfy bed, good bathroom and toiletries, underfloor heating and powerful air con (was hot this weekend!). Wifi only worked for us for 24 hours though.

I will stay here again, just a little disappointed with the mix up of our room especially as I'd spent a lot of money, and there was no apology for the mistake when checking out. Despite this I will book again and give the hotel benefit of the doubt.

Room Tip: 101 room was nice and quite, room number 7 was a little noisy but only due to being on ground floor.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear STail0r

Thnak you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Cedar Court Grand.

I am so pleased to hear that Jordi and the rest of the team were able to look after you so well during your stay and that the location of our hotel aided you in having a relaxing visit to the races on a busy weekend.

I am sorry that there was some confusion with your booking and that your room was not set as a double as it should have been. Please also accept my apologies that we did not handle the situation better and resolve the situation sooner.

I am pleased to hear that you will return, and I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

chicago
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

I stayed here before and thoroughly enjoyed it, 5 star claims, 5 star pricing therefore I had high expectations. The hotel felt like a different place....
It started on arrival where I had to struggle up the steps of the hotel vs being assisted with the bags. The welcome at reception was warm but one of the rooms I booked was not ready even at 3pm!!!! I received an apology but no estimate on when it would be ready and no offer of tea or anything while we waited, poor show on that.
Finally got the room after an hour waiting, the room was a twin (205 or 206) and was welcomed with a big stain on the wall where a room from above must have leaked (nice in 5 star). My issue is not the stain but the fact that the hotel thought it was ok to let guests have that room at all.
The next morning there was an ear piecing sound from the same room the guests ran the bath and the pipes were screaming! I could hear it in my room which was across the hall.
Rooms were still comfortable and clean but the fridge was noisy.

Visited the bar and it was still ok as was the breakfast.

All in all -a bit of a let down. I hope standards improve.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Rooms
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank barnacle08
Ben_M_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear barnacle08

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to us.

I am sorry that the welcome was not up to our usual standard and I will be discussing this with our front of house team. I am also sorry that the room was not ready till slightly later than usual due to some technical issues.

You are correct that there had been a leak in the room above previously and unfortuantly as we were fully booked we were unable to offer an alternative. We have rectified this problem and sorted the situation now, but I am sorry that it impacted on your stay.

Please rest assured that both these issues will be resolved and I hope you visit us again in the not to distant future.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

Yes it's comparatively expensive but it's five star and having enjoyed a one night stay this week we've come to the conclusion it's the best (only) hotel to stay in while in York. Simply first class all round...loved it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Rooms
Dear Dave

Thank you for taking the time to review your trip to York and your stay with us at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.

I have to agree we are the best place to stay in York, but I am baised, so its so much nicer to hear from someone who has stayed. We are Yorkshire's only 5 star hotel, and we hope to a deliver an experience that befits that.

I do hope that you are able to come and visit us again soon.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

Everything was outstanding. The hotel is a grand building and the rooms very generous in size. The staff were friendly and helpful, spa was a welcome haven, well laid out and clean. Dinner in the Brasserie was excellent and highly recommended. York Minster only a few minutes walk away. I could not fault it.

Room Tip: We had an executive double which was extremely comfortable. There are not many rooms with a view of...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Alistair T

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.

I am pleased that we were able to provide you with a pleasant stay in our hotel when you visited York. I am equally delighted that you had such an enjoyable meal in our Hudsons restaurant, which has only been open for a number of months. We are lucky enough to have two restaurants, Hudsons and HQ, both of which provide a unique dining experience in the city.

I am delighted that the team were so friendly and helpful, as that is what makes us stand out as Yorkshires premier hotel.