“Simply the best!!!! ”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed July 9, 2014 via mobile

Many apologies for the belated review! From the moment we arrived to the moment we left our experience of the cedar court was out of this world! We were greeted by a very knowledgable doorman (Jordy I believe his name was) who showed us to our room which was outstanding with views looking over the beautiful city walls and the York minster. On our second night we dined in the Hudson restaurant which I had booked via an email I received a few days prior and the service we received was excellent. We were guided to our table by a lovely young lady called laura who also happened to be the lady who emailed me and she wished me a happy birthday... I wasn't aware I'd told anybody, it was such a lovely surprise especially when my dessert was presented with a birthday candle!! Our entire experience was second to non and we will be returning very soon!!!

Stayed: May 2014
Ben_M_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2014

Dear Jetsetter

Wow, what a fantastic review of your stay with us, and so pleasing to know that we made your birthday so memorable.

We are truly blessed to have such a wonderful team of people who go out of their way to ensure that our guests have such a memorable experience, in Jordi and Laura you could not find two finer examples of this. Our ethos is that these wonderful people make the difference between a nice stay and a great stay, and we are delighted that yours was that.

It would give us great pleasure to welcome you back in the not to distant future, please contact me personally when you look to rebook so that we can afford you the best available rate and we can add you to our VIP list.

Reviewed July 9, 2014

The hotel's location is perfect. Walking distance to everything including the train station which was important to us as we travelled by train. The rooms were a good size, bed was comfortable, the house keeping was first class and the bathroom was excellent. The gym was small, stuck in a corner and the equipment was poor. The concierge service was excellent as was the front desk and bellman service.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Irwin H

Dear Irwin

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us here at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.

We are very pleased to have such an ideal location, in relation to not only the train station and maybe roads in and out of the city, but also the city centre and all the historcial places of interest within the city walls.

It was also pleasing to hear that housekeeping and concierge looked after you so well and made your stay with us so enjoyable. I am sorry you found the gym to be small, we are planning on redeveloping the spa area in the not to distant future, which would involve moving the gym which would generate some more space for our gym guests.

Once again thank you for your review, and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Me and my partner stayed for the weekend of the Tour de France and what a wonderful stay it was! From the minute we got there the staff were on hand to help- they took our bags to our room and parked the car for us. We were shown around our room by a very helpful member of staff called Jordi who explained all the gadgets to us! We were brought complimentary tea and coffee soon after our arrival which hit the spot after such a long drive from South Wales.
Room service was excellent- fresh milk would be at the door before the kettle had finished boiling!
The building was spectacular and the rooms large, bright and quiet.
We dined in the restaurant on the Sunday eve, the food was fabulous and were looked after by Rebecca who was very attentive and provided us with many interesting facts and things to do in York for the following day.
The spa facilities were also excellent. We didn't have time to experience any treatments but enjoyed the calming atmosphere in the pool
On departure, Peter was very helpful and made sure we had enough water for the journey!
Amazing experience, such lovely and helpful staff
The only negative comment is if you aren't a 'big breakfast eater' then you will probably find the breakfast a little dear at an extra £20 per person- quality was excellent but I struggled to get my money's worth, however, I would still recommend this hotel and would stay again

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Beth H
Ben_M_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2014

Dear Beth

Thank you so much for visiting us on such a historic weekend for the City of York, it certainly was a unique experience for those who were here and one I hope you, like us will never forget.

It is lovely to hear that Peter, Jordi, Rebecca and the rest of the team made your stay so enjoyable, we really are lucky to have such an amazing team of people to look after our guests and make their stays with us so memorable.

We hope that you will not wait fot the next Tour de France to visit us again!

Reviewed July 8, 2014

Not sure if three visits to the same hotel makes us 'regulars' but we were greeted like old friends. Maybe it's because we're regulars that we were offered an upgrade to a junior suite, a perfect start to the weekend. As usual all of the staff were professional, courteous and friendly. We were fortunate to have exclusive use of the superb indoor pool for an hour before a handful of other guests arrived, even then the spa facilities feel very special. Breakfast was delicious, too many choices.....opted for smoked haddock and poached egg as we'll never cook that at home for breakfast. Only one niggle, the price of cocktails seems to have jumped up significantly since our last visit.....that said, it didn't stop us indulging. Roll on next visit.

Room Tip: Junior suite, room 102, was very quiet.....and very nice.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Martin H

Dear Martin

Great to welcome you back again, and of course we regard you as regulars as we always keep a record of returning guests such as yourself.

It was so lovely to hear that you enjoyed the junior suite, the spa facilities and the freshly made cooked breakfast - no better way to start a day in our opinion.

It will be great to see you back again.

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I only spent 24 hours at this hotel and one hour of that was trying to check in. I decided to visit the location of the hotel before booking so I think me being a "walk in" complicated matters along with the fact that it was only 11.30am. I asked to see an available room to make sure it was quiet and this all happened within about 20 minutes of arriving but then housekeeping had to pass it and this is what took the time. To be fair the hotel was operating at near full capacity and I was in the room way before the normal 3pm check in time.
There were only two ladies on reception, one was a trainee who didn't know how to proceed with my type of booking and the other was a rather harassed lady who kept saying they had done 72 departures that morning and she needed help!
I agree, they need a bigger reception desk with more staff. I returned to the hotel about 5.30pm and people were almost queuing out of the door waiting to check in.
This aside the deluxe room was excellent. It was on the 4th floor and faced the council offices and the city walls on the quiet pedestrianised side of the hotel. The room was well equipped with a super modern bathroom with a good selection of Molton Brown toiletries. There were two large windows, a very comfortable bed and a slightly separated seating area with its own television.
What a great surprise it was to find such a interesting building inside with lots of history associated with it.
I didn't have anything to eat and drink at the hotel so I cannot comment on that aspect of the service.
I parked myself in the Tanner Row NCP car park which cost £18 for 24 hours. This is the same one the hotel uses for valet parking but they have a basement area to use. The public area of the parking that I was in is locked between 10pm and 6am.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
3  Thank hollins1
Ben_M_Deputy_GM, Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Hollins1

Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay with us at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.

Please let me apologise about the delay getting into your room, we did have a very large number of departures on that given day, meaning most rooms needed to be cleaned and therefore early check ins just were not possible.

I am pleased that you managed to look around at the history of our wonderful building, something we are very proud of. We are also pleased that you were able to enjoy the comfort and luxury of your bedroom.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

The Cedar Court was a very nice surprise after a rather harrowing trip to York from Edinburgh through pouring rain and lots of roadworks.
It was nice to be met by a courteous doorman and porter who whisked our luggage (lots of it) away out of our car then valet parked for us (at a price of course).
The hotel itself is a rather impressive building inside the town walls, and just a short walk from the station for those travelling by train. The foyer was quite grand and the reception staff were polite and efficient.
The rooms were massive in size/floor space. The beds were comfortable and the bathroom was large and very well appointed with plenty of thick, fluffy towels and heated rails. Plenty of hot water with excellent pressure was a big plus too. The minibar was well stocked and not too expensive.
Room service was prompt and the food arrived hot and was very good too.
The building is an old rail office building converted into a hotel and thus the corridors are wide and well lit, the rooms are huge, the public rooms are large too and the whole place has a rather open feel which is a nice change from most older UK hotels.
The hotel is only a short walk across the bridge to the centre of York, where plenty of restaurants and shops are to be found.
It was a very pleasant stay and I'd definitely stay there next time I go to York.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank wanderingbear

Dear Wandering Bear

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.

We are so pleased that our concierge were able to make the final part of your journey stress free, even if the rest of it was not so nice.

We are very lucky to have such large rooms, most of which were converted from former offices and our public areas are equally well sized. We are also blessed with our location so close to the railway station and so near to the city centre, making it ideal for travel and sightseeing alike.

Thank you once again, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

My husband had booked a two night stay here for my fiftieth birthday and had kept it quiet and secret since April. We stayed the weekend before the Tour de France it was amazing the hotel is beautiful exceptionally clean,the rooms are spacious well laid out and the bathrooms amazing loved the rain shower I wanted to bring the bed home with me the best hotel bed I have ever slept in and best two nights sleep for ages. After we checked in we sat in bar and suddenly heard someone singing HappyBirthday to you I turned to see my bestest friends they too had come to stay to surprise me . All the staff were brilliant. I had an amazing weekend York is a beautiful city cannot wait to go back again.

Room Tip: All rooms appear to nice and quiet didn't,t hear any noise at all
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tracey S

Dear Cayo1coco

We are so pleased to hear that you had a surprise birthday, it was the talk of the hotel the day before to try and make sure everyone knew not to mention anything, so its so pleasing it all went well.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the bedroom facilities and I totally agree the bathrooms are quite beautiful and the showers some of the best I have ever seen. As much as we would love you to take the bed, I suspect we may need that in future! But at least you got two great nights sleep.

Lastly a belated Happy Birthday from us all at the Grand, we hope to see you again next year - if not sooner.