“Third visit, will return again.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Hotel & Spa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Billericay, United Kingdom
“Third visit, will return again.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed at this hotel in January, I myself having stayed twice before. We had two executive rooms which were spacious, quiet and well appointed. As before, the food was excellent, both the breakfast and dinner on each night. This hotel is very well located for the city centre and only 3 minutes walk from York railway station, although being situated in a quiet enclave. The interior décor is very inviting and grand. Service was tip top and the range of drinks available in the bar (All served at your seat) was excellent. The ambience in the main restaurant is very relaxing and the service individual and attentive. Once again,impossible to fault this hotel. It deserves to continue to be a success.

Room Tip: Upgrade to Executive Rooms, they are well worth it.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank BritishTraveller53

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2014

Stayed here one night with a number of Middle East clients who were all in suites. Check in was smooth and although we were early all but one of my guests' rooms suites were ready. My standard room on the ground floor was enormous, utterly peaceful and perfectly clean. We had dinner which was extremely pleasant - my party all tried the various fish on the menu and all were very complementary. Breakfast was delicious and we left with the compliments of my party ringing on my ears. At least two of them commented that the hotel was significantly better than either the Langham or the Park Lane Hilton, hotels we had stayed in earlier in the week. For me, the hotel is a classic example of all that is good with classic English hotels - customer service is flawless, the rooms are clinically clean, big, comfortable beds, hearty breakfasts and dinner menus based on locally sourced produce. This hotel is perfectly placed for visiting York, a stone's throw from the railway stn, inside the walls and within a very short stroll of the Minster and local shops.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Brands_03
Bicester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

Looking at other reviews I would certainly agree with the majority of them.. it is a really nice grand hotel. I loved the high ceilings in the room, This was not matched by the size, though it was more than adequate. The TV system was extremely slow and took a while to even change a channel but I did like the option to turn on the speakers in the bathroom. The heated floor was also a nice touch. Other than this, nothing to write home about. We stayed in the Classic Room so if you can afford it perhaps upgrading would be a good option.

Outside the room elsewhere had a very '5 star' feel to it but keeping in with the traditions and history of the hotel. The bar particularly was very nice and we enjoyed many hours in there. I would however say there was a thin line between 'Historic' and 'dated'!

We visited the spa several times for treatments and to use the pool. For a 5 star hotel spa I expected something more. The whole pool area was small and would of liked something extra than just a sauna and steam room. On the whole the spa staff were very nice but a couple seemed to have an attitude!

Lastly the customer service. 5 star service as expected BUT I get the impression (and was very obvious while we were there) that the usual clientele is older couples with a bit of money behind them or older business groups. As a couple of 29/30 I felt a bit looked down too..I certainly never felt at home. I also tried to arrange a surprise for my partners birthday while we were there. Other hotels have jumped at the chance previously to assist me with something but I felt I was getting nowhere so in the end I didn't bother. I was also a little bit offended when we were asked on our check out day 'When are you leaving?' This was later in the day when I was waiting for my partner to have a spa treatment. "We are spending money at your overpriced spa.." I should of answered. It was one particular porter to be fair who also sighed when we asked for our car keys...

Overall we enjoyed ourselves and enjoyed the hotel but just felt a bit out of place.. been toying over giving it 3 or 4 stars but going for three as I have stayed at 5 star hotels before like the Savoy and this doesn't even come close.

Room Tip: Classic Rooms are quite basic. Upgrade if you can.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fireball84
Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

My mum booked a night away for the both of us as a celebratory trip for both of our birthdays. Upon arriving we were greeted by the doorman, who parked our car and was immensely welcoming. We'd arrived early and our room wasn't ready (which wasn't a problem) we then decided to have lunch in the hotel bar and were treated so kindly by the staff, along with some gorgeous sandwiches and lovely coffee. The surrounding and general decor of the hotel is phenomenal, if I could live there I would! We went down to the spa which is lovely and very peaceful - great for some R&R! The breakfast again was outstanding with a large choice and every need catered for.

The hotel is a lovely place and I hope to visit it again (in the not too distant future!). However what really makes the stay so pleasurable is the staff, who are so very kind and couldn't seem to do enough for us. Thank you so much!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Elizaheslop1
Uttoxeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

If you are looking for somewhere that is special for a nice treat, then this is definitely somewhere that I would recommend. It is very well placed if you are travelling to York by train as a very short distance from the train station. Also ideally located within walking distance of the town centre, the River, the Minster, great shops and restaurants all very close by.

We were amazed by the amount of staff there were in the hotel, it felt like almost as many staff as there were guests and every member of staff that you spoke to was very keen to help us in any way they could.

We went for my husbands birthday present and it is always a risk when you buy a trip away as a gift, but this one was fantastic - would definitely recommend.

We stayed in room 424 on the 4th floor and can highly recommend this room both for the view and double aspect windows - it was great.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room and were given 424 we were very pleased with this room on the top floor wi...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JessTurner
Saltcoats, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2014

Just returned from 2 nights stay at the Cedar Court, it was wonderful, I would highly recommend staying there.
The service, room, luxurious decor and exceptional attention to detail was really fabulous and look forward to visiting again.
Stayed in a executive room, it was very large with three windows with views of York Minster and city walls directly outside, huge bathroom with granite surroundings, underfloor heating and speakers for music, very comfortable bed, fridge and mini bar, tv, hair dryer, iron, tea and coffee, butler service if required, valet parking - honestly everything you could want. I havent mentioned the best bit, the spa, swimming pool, gym, jacuzzi, steam room, sauna were just fantastic. Minutes walk from everything, very central. Hotel only 4 years opened so everything is very new.
Staff were all very friendly

Room Tip: Corner suite gives you views to York minster
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Yvonne A
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2014

Highly recommend small hotel. Spent 3 days here last week and have never experienced anything like this hotel. Everything about it was perfect. The Junior Suite we stayed in was big enough for a small army. Loved every minute of it and every member of staff we encountered in our stay was polite, helpful and very friendly. The location of the hotel is brilliant.

Will 100% be visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2014