Arrived at 9.30am for a family wedding. Valet parking costs £20. Valet said we should get a room soon as there were 35 not used the night before. The receptionist had other ideas. No room available until 3pm. All we wanted was a room somewhere to get changed for the wedding. She checked again but "computer said NO". We left our luggage and clothes with one of the many the concierges who we found to be sullen and indifferent. We had a very cold walk around York and on returning still no room. We were allowed by the very nice helpful spa staff to use the changing rooms to get ready for the wedding. Not ideal but it was that or the corridor.
The wedding was a success, food nice and staff were excellent.
We got to our room at 11.30pm but after a dreadful nights sleep due to running water from room above, a venting system that omitted a loud squeal every few minutes we checked out at 7.30am.
Receptionist was already aware of the noises reported by another guest.
We decided to skip the £40 breakfast. ( how expensive can sausage and bacon get?)
All in all this hotel is beautiful, rooms well appointed, food nice and staff at wedding reception faultless. However in order to make this a great hotel front of house staff need to be far flexible and accommodating and not so condescending.
Would we stay here again? No I am afraid not.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, Ctrip TA, Orbitz, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa