“Exellent, but with some reservations”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
Reviewed December 17, 2013

This was our second stay at the hotel, the service and all the staff were perfect, the rooms were first class and spotless. Breakfast was superb and plentiful, there was only two negatives one We felt the "A la carte" menu was very limited and both my wife and I opted for the Grill menu and had steaks, which really we would not normally have done.
My only other issue was with the £20 per night parking charge, which was still applied even though the car was not taken to the NCP car park, but had been stored in the hotel basement.
If we had been staying longer I would have made alternative arrangements....£140.00 for a weeks parking !!!

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from outside, as the rooms are only single glazed .

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Very poor quality sandwiches, felt like cheap budget bread and fillings minimal. Only one cracker on our table for 2. Macaroons were terrible, very very hard. We noticed that there were not enough nice cake stands to go around, think they visited Ikea for some of the round glass ones, they had more lean to them that the tower at Pisa. Also witnessed one of the waitresses spill hot coffee over another patron. The carols were nice though.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank gmcmcla
Reviewed December 16, 2013

The only 5 Star Hotel in Yorkshire apparently. Really great location, good atmosphere. Staff very attentive. Afternoon Tea decent value. The main restaraunt serves excellent food but is very expensive with not truly a wide choice of options. No real Yorkshire Fayre, mostly good steaks and the normal baiscs [scallops, turbut, halibut, ...........]. BUT IT IS GOOD. Breakfast very expensive, but again good quality. Fantastic selection of whiskies. We would stay again which is the final arbitrator on value for money when it comes to the crunch. This hotel has only been opened about 4 yearsm and compared to the top 5 stars in London [Ritz, Claridges, ..] it has a wee way to go yet, but they have been around over 100 years !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed December 16, 2013

My first impressions of this hotel is one of grandeur. Friendly reception booked us in with little fuss. We were on the first floor our friends booked into a room on the second floor. Rooms are spacious with comfortable with king size beds. A large selection of coffee and teas. Earl Grey etc. You have a hairdryer, Ironing board, iron, brolly, dressing gown and slippers in your room. Rooms are clean and checked later in the afternoon for standards.

My only reason I could not give 5 rating was the heating. Its simply not warm enough. This was also brought up by a reviewer
I just had two criticisms; our room was quite cool, even with the air conditioning on full it was never properly warm. I wonder if it was because our room was large and the system isn't efficient enough to cope with the space. Our friends staying on second floor also said they too were not happy with the heating

Come on Cedar Court. Get it sorted

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 15, 2013

Arrived at 1pm to be met by frosty and disinterested receptionist.
Asked if we could get into rooms, but told guests not allowed into rooms until 3pm - but ours would be later! Receptionist reluctantly took our mobile number and was requested to call when rooms available. Waited in nearby pub, but no call by 5pm, so went back for another frosty welcome, but rooms were ready.
Then requested a late check out for noon next day only to be told guests must vacate rooms by 11am. Certainly the worst "welcome" to any hotel we have ever had.
Pre-ordered champagne on arrival, but was in room next door.
On the plus side, rooms are nice, but not recommended.

8  Thank Julian C
Reviewed December 13, 2013

A five star hotel has has to meet exacting standards and the Cedar Court Grand certainly did not disappoint. My wife liked the Moulton & Brown toiletries and the heated bathroom floor and there was even a tiny little ceiling light to ensure safe nocturnal bathroom visits.
Before dinner we relaxed in the spa which is free to residents. Enjoying a drink before dinner in the Grll Room I was impressed to find a pint of draught lager could be had rather than the usual bottled hotel fare. Our order was taken during drinks and the sommelier was knowledgeable when I needed some advice. Perhaps most impressive of all was the service throughout our meal. I'm not a huge fan of steak, varieties of which were the main choices on the menu. In fairness my wife did point out that it is a Grill Room. Having chosen chicken breast I have to admit it was perhaps the best I've ever tasted.
After youbook the hotel email asking if you have any preferences or special wishes. As I booked this as a surprise for my wife it was nice for her to find flowers with my personal greeting in the room on our arrival.
I have no hesitation recommending this to anyone wanting the best hotel in York.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Stayed in a twin room with my mum for one night. Great location, just opposite the train station, inside the city wall.

Excellent service, beautiful hotel, our room was on the ground floor facing the front of the hotel so I expected some noise from the street but there was none. Had a brilliant nights sleep.

Great features in the room - assortment of tea/coffee/hot choc, dressing gown and slippers, heated floor (and speakers!) in the bathroom, molton brown products.

Spent some time in the spa which was relaxing, there is a pool, whirlpool, small steam room and sauna.

Breakfast (£15) was continental and included tea/coffee/oj, toast, cereals, cold meats, fruit, yoghurts, croissants etc.

Would definitely recommend for a girly weekend or romantic trip.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family