“Excellent Hotel in York City Centre”

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 47 Hotels in York
Yorkshire, UK
“Excellent Hotel in York City Centre”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Stayed at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa for two days over the Dante York Race Meeting.

Was greeting by warm friendly staff who parked the car and made the check in process smooth and swift.

Lovely room on the fourth floor with lots of nice finishing touches.

I would definitely stay here again and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (700)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Arrived to see my son, who is at York university for his birthday.
The room was beautiful, overlooking the walls. Immaculately clean with a heated bathroom floor.
Reception staff were very welcoming and my room was ready at 2.30pm.
The breakfast was fantastic. A lovely lady served me both days, addressing me by name and chatting, which was lovely, especially as I was on my own.
I visited the swimming pool each day, and asked if my son may join me on his birthday. The gentleman in charge there was so kind and said it was no problem, before showing me the facilities. It was things like this that made the hotel so enjoyable for me.
On my last morning my son joined me for breakfast and was wished a happy birthday by the lady who served us breakfast. She had remembered from the previous days conversation.
I can't wait to visit again. The hotel is more expensive than most, but the staff and facilities are wonderful.
Thank you to all concerned.

• Stayed May 2013
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Tremendous hotel, building, hospitality, standard and professionalism. Stayed one night following a day at the races, had dinner which was perfectly cooked and service was second to none.
Highly recommendable and would certainly return.

Catterick, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 19, 2013

we have stayed at many hotels over the last couple of years, some good some bad.... This hotel is absolutely outstanding!!!
From our first arrival through the door we were greeted by smiling faces and every single thing was taken care of, from luggage to a free room upgrade and as we had to wait a very short amount of time for the room to be prepared we were taken to the bar and given a free drink of our choice!!

The room was impeccable, the bathroom was extremely impressive with a bath big enough for two (we checked)

the bar staff were that good at mixing drinks i went back down there to grab a few more french sours while my lovely lady continued to get ready for the next two hours!!!!

The room had fantastic views, the huge sash windows let in loads of light, the bed was huge, very comfortable and the free coffee on arrival in to your room is certainly worth it.

The room was lovely and quiet during the night, the next morning we were led to a table for breakfast, everything i wanted for breakfast was there laid out and ready to eat, everything from smoked salmon to chocolate doughnuts...... i asked for a cooked breakfast which took about five minutes to arrive, whilst waiting though the staff were attending to us bringing fresh coffee and toast.

even our checkout was made a pleasant experience by the concierge staff, our bags were taken for us and we were then allowed to go to the spa underneath the hotel, the spa is absolutely delightful and i cannot recommend this hotel enough.

I have stayed in different hotels in York and can definitely say that you get what you pay for, don't bother finding somewhere to save yourself a few quid!! pay for this place and you will not be disappointed......

Happy camping

Jay and Kim

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, shy kids get no sweets!!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

My partner and I stayed at Cedar Court for two nights (Saturday and Sunday) in an executive room. On arrival the celebration package (champagne, strawberries dipped in chocolate, sweets and flowers) was a lovely surprise. The room was spacious with a lovely deep bath and separate toilet / walk in shower room. The TV was a little temperamental but that wasn't a problem.
An evening 'turn down' service was offered and we were tickled to see slippers by the bed, molton brown toiletries, water by the bed and a little card with tomorrow's weather forecast on.
I do not usually visit pools and spa facilities at hotels but this spa was welcoming and too good to miss. I ended up having a facial, a pedicure and swam many lengths during the stay.
The bar area was comfortable with good service day and night. Breakfast service was efficient and the area was clean and well stocked.
We could not fault the attentiveness and professionalism of the staff and enjoyed every moment of the visit. We would return without hesitation.
Just a note: due to the lack of parking in York we chose to travel by train. It was actually cheaper (using train line website) to book single first class tickets each way than it was to book return second class! Overall it was a fabulous short break!!

Cardigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Just returned after spending three nights at this hotel. I can honestly say that it`s the best hotel we have ever stayed in and even beats Dubai. From arrival to departure, from concierge to all staff, nothing was too much trouble. Thank you all for a memorable stay.
We will be back for more of this marvellous pampering and hospitality.
John and Mair, Wales.

Room Tip: we had room 502 on top floor, very quiet.
Taunton
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I had an underwhelming stay at the Cedar Court Hotel. I arrived early (12.30pm) but no attempt was made to get me into a room.I arrived back at 2.30pm, still not ready. Will not bore with the rest. Room (207) a good size with high ceilings, good bathroom but the lookout was over the rubbish from the hotel and pigeon mess. Drainpipes, window frames covered. TV did not work. Will get someone straightaway. He arrived 40 minutes later; said he had fixed it but he had not.Could not bother to phone again. Dinner was very poor. Very tough steak served with would you believe it in 2013 with mustard & cress ( from the 1960's) with a raw tomato ( not even grilled)."Hand made chips" soggy and oozing fat.The replacements that were brought were not much better.Breakfast had a good selection of pastries etc. Coffee weak, no hot milk. Staff were very pleasant but the check in person annoyed me. Rubbish bins were being emptied by 7.00am.
The bar looked pleasant and staff very curteous.Hotel very near York Minster and railway station.

Room Tip: first floor seems more upmarket.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo