Cedar Court Grand is indeed grand. The location is great, however we didnt realise there was valet parking as when we asked they didnt offer an alternative place to park our car. They proceeded to take our keys and park the car, which we didnt realise would be at abn extra cost (more on that later).
On arrival it was very lovely - doors opened, bags taken to the room, friendly reception. Inside the hotel really is impressive and so stunning.
Our porter was very helpful and told us to come see him so that he could tell us where to go etc in York.
The room was very large and cosy, and the bathroom was very big and had a lovely double-ended bath and heated floors.
We decided to have a drink and soak in the bath, so called down for a bucket of ice - a bit shocked at the price of £5 for frozen water! We would have been happy to collect it ourselves had it have been free.
We went down in the bowels of the hotel to use the pool and hot-tub, which was very ambient and in a very cool setting down in the 'vault'. It was a real treat.
We decided to head into York centre for dinner. It was very quiet being a Sunday night but was a lovely little walk across the bridge and is in a great location to explore York.
We came back to the hotel to smiles and "hello's", very friendly.
In the morning, we called reception to let them know we were soon leaving and we required our car, we soon got a phone-call to confirm which car was ours as there was a little mix-up of keys. Upon check-out, we were charged for our stay and once my fiance had taken the keys, the valet said quietly to the receptionist that indeed there had been a mix-up and yes, please add the valet charge to our bill.
I was not very nice to be given a valet charge that we werent made aware of, and to also leave thinking some people were perhaps not charged for the valet service (maybe the Aston Martin driver who arrived after us...?)
Over-all, the stay was very grand, however I cannot help but compare the other hotels we stayed at who seemed to genuinely care about the guests (or at least were more careful when pretending to like us!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa