“second visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Walton, United Kingdom
“second visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed at Cedar Court again and can not fault the location and valet parking. Staff are helful and keen to ensure your stay runs smoothly. We stayed on the 2nd floor this visit and were not bothered by the work improvements being carried out to the building opposite.

Lovely touches such a a turn down service make the differance to this hotel. We booked through a website however staff knew we had stayed and welcomes us back.

Room Tip: rooms appear to differ in size and layout.
1 Thank Cordelia6825
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent 2nd stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout and that our team looked after you well.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

Amazing hotel with very good service. It is expensive but I knew it would be when booking so as long as you're aware in advance you're going to really love it (as I did). The spa is fabulous and I'd highly recommend indulging in a treatment or two. All in all a lovely stay.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank chocablock
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

I stayed at the Cedar Court Grand for 4 nights this August. I travelled with my mother and we had booked a spa day and planned some shopping and general relaxing in luxury! We were not disappointed. The Cedar Court is a beautiful hotel with a wonderful history and our bedroom was very spacious and full of all the essentials and more. We didn't do a huge amount of sightseeing but York Minster is a must. Breakfast options (both dining in room and in the breakfast room) were fantastic and staff very friendly - with one exception. Unfortunately, one member of staff, who I believe was head porter - though I was not sure of his specific job title, really let the high standards that the hotel has attained down by demonstrating his degree from the school of sarcasm at every given moment. He was a slightly older man and unfortunately I didn't get his name but he was very rude, abrasive and obviously felt he was above talking to us in a normal manner- he was very sarcastic towards my mother when she asked if we could possibly leave our luggage for an hour after checkout. Not a nice feeling when you are paying around £400 a night. I work in the hospitality industry and I would be very upset if a member of my staff behaved in this way. In all other areas though, our trip was fantastic and staff could not do enough to please. Special thanks to the mixologist who we had a long chat with and to Sophie in the spa.
We are definitely planning a return visit, though we may just be hoping that our porter is taking a holiday of his own at that time...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this generally positive review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you liked your bedroom, enjoyed your breakfast and took the opportunity to both make use of our Spa and Cocktail Bar.

Naturally I am disappointed to read the incident involving a member of our Concierge Team. I’m sure whoever it was did not have the intention of coming across in this way and I can only apologise if his mannerisms were misconstrued. I will ensure our Head Concierge and Front Office Manager are made aware of the situation.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you all back to us in the future.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

cannot fault a single thing with this hotel , perfect location , the staff and room were excellent , and the meal was out of this world , can honestly say we've never had a meal like it , took my girlfriend there to propose (she said yes) i she's already planning to go back next year for the anniversary.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lee s
Dear Guest

May I take this opportunity to say congratulations on your recent engagement and I’m thrilled that the The Grand played such a big role in the special day.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future for your anniversary.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

beautiful building inside and out -with history. Friendly staff. Excellent position of hotel for tourism. Facilities were excellent such as swimming pool and spa complex. Nearby building work should have finished by now but the quality curtains helped keep out alot of the noise. The only problem was that of reception staff not knowing of the booking [through 3rd party web sites] even though a precautionary phone call to the hotel from me the day before assured me that the booking had been received. This had happened to another customer during my stay as witnessed by overheard anger at the desk. The receptionist explained that they had trouble with internet bookings and it would be better for customers to contact the Hotel directlly- I thought this strange advice in an age of internet shopping. The overall quality of the experience was so good that I enjoyed my 35th wedding anniversary.

Room Tip: If building work not finished go to back of hotel. Excellent quality feature and fittings with two b...
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent celebratory stay with us.
I’m delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay throughout.

I can only apologise if there was some confusion at the Front Desk regarding a particular 3rd party website offer. I shall ensure our Front Officer Manager is made aware of this incident and I am confident measures will be put in place to prevent a re-occurrence,

Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We journeyed to York after 4 nights in London for the Olympics. We selected York based on guidebooks and selected Cedar Court based on TripAdvisor reviews. And the town and hotel did not disappoint.

Our only disappointment was that we could only be there one night!

Upon arrival, the hotel bell captain (I am only guessing at that title) Paul met us as we parked our car. He helped us unload our luggage, get acclimated and on our way. We entered our room alongside the stellar hotel concierge, Jordi, who escorted us to our room and gave us a "tour." High ceilings, beautiful moldings, sitting area... the bathroom featured a tub, shower, towel warming rack AND heated floor! Wow.

With some quick tips on what to see and do from Jordi, we were off and running pretty quickly to explore the town.

When we returned, we had a restful sleep. We did partake of breakfast the next morning, and since we are not big breakfast eaters, found the cost to be high for what we ate, but that goes along with the 4-star quality and comfort of Cedar Court.

The concierge we met on our departure day mapped out our journey for us, and, Paul re-routed us as we went to our car so that we could experience the scenic route down through the Cotswolds to Bath. His directions were right on and we were pleased to have taken that journey!

If you are going to York - stay here - and stay longer than one night!

1 Thank smep013

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

We don’t have anyone by the name of Paul within our Concierge Department, never the less thank you for your kind words and I am delighted that the service and attention you received was to as a high standard as it normally is.

It’s great to read also that you were able to explore the city and the surrounding area which as you know has a lot to offer.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to York’s only 5 star Hotel (not 4) in the future.

Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

First impression of York, Very nice service and warm welcome. Good and safe location. Molton brown products were unexpected, It's a great treat. Double room was amazing with all classy furniture. I would go back and stay there again. It's a shame that I stayed there only one night, didn't have a chance for spa and others.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple