The Grand Hotel & Spa
$134
$115
$174
  • Restaurant
Novotel York Centre(York)(Great Value!)
$122
$110
Novotel
  • Pool
Holiday Inn Express York(York)(Great Value!)
$89
$109
$98
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
Wheatlands Lodge Hotel(York)(Great Value!)
$108
$114
Travelocity
Great 4.5/5
4,308 results
All reviewscedar courtmolton brown toiletriesturn down servicestar hotellip balmdoor staffclassic roomexecutive roomunderfloor heatingon arrivaloriginal featuressteam roomcontinental breakfastamazing hotelbeautiful buildingtrain stationbirthday treat
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 16, 2012

The hotel is beautiful, rooms are spacious and beautifully decorated and service is generally good. My wake up call was absolutely on time and was a oerson, not an automated system. The bathrooms are particularly well done with Molton brown toiletries; however both my room and my bathroom were cold, and no amount of thermostat fiddling improved it. I ate in the hotel restaurant. Food quality was excellent, but I thought it was expensive (£9.50 for 3 scallops, even though they were perfectly cooked!), and the desserts sacrificed substance for fancy presentation. Breakfast is good again, but a little bit more choice/variety in the buffet would be good. Overall, it is a good 5* hotel.

One negative comment is the spa. I popped down to get my nails done, and the quality was terrible. I had to shape them again when she'd finished, am the polish so thickly applied that it didn't dry properly and smudged, and the price was absolutely extortionate. I would avoid treatments there.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank sarahburton30260
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write this review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you mostly enjoyed your stay throughout.

The pricing of our food and beverage, we feel is competitive in light of the surrounding area and calibre of Hotel that we are. The Grill Room at The Grand has recently been awarded 2 AA Rosettes for culinary excellence so I can only apologise if certain things were not to your personal liking.

Our Continental Buffet offering receives regular praise and there is a wide choice of items to chose from. If there was anything in particular that your thought should have been present but wasn’t please e-mail me direct at graeme.clark@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk and I will look in to it.
Again, we regularly receive great feedback relating to all of our Spa treatments and therapies. If you were not 100% satisfied at the time, I’m sure our team would have either redone your treatment or compensated you in some way. Again, if you would like to give me any more detail on this, I’d be only too happy to hear from you.

I will pass on all of your feedback to our Senior Management Team. Again, thank you for taking the time to give us your personal feedback. It’s only by receiving feedback such as this that we can improve upon our service standards and the experience that our guests receive.
On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Reviewed May 14, 2012

We had a lovely trip to York which was made even better by staying at this brilliant hotel.

As mentioned previously by many reviewers, you really cannot fault the location, the staff and the elegant and look and feel of the hotel, exactly what you would expect of a 5 star hotel and more.

We had a wonderful meal in the grill, the food and service was absolutely first rate and we had a lovely long chat with the very friendly and knowledgeable young Sommelier. If only we had been around for one of the 'wine evenings' we would certainly have loved to have attended.

If I could offer a couple of pieces of constructive feedback it would be a) The room we were in had a lovely high and large single window with a roller blind. Unfortunately the blind did not cover the total window area so consequently, from around 5am in the morning we were 'laser beamed' in the face with extremely bright sunlight and this literally lit up the whole room. This made it more or less impossible to have any sort of lie in. We did consider mentioning this to the staff after the first night but I'm really not sure what they could have done at the time as resolving this is basically going to involve building work. I mention it here however in case the nice Mr Clark feels this is something worth looking at. I do feel that it would be useful to have blackout curtains in your bedroom in places like this.

Secondly, I have to mention the cost of breakfast. I completely understand and accept that this is a 5 star hotel and, as such, the quality of food and drink will be high and that that the costs will reflect this. As mentioned, the food we had in the Grill was exceptional and the house wine we had at the bar was lovely. I think that for evening meals and drinks in a place like this you know what you are getting yourself into but, having said all of the above, £40 for breakfast, (£45 if you want it in your room), still seems a little excessive. In the case of my wife and I, we found this price prohibitive, especially when there are so many places within 5 minutes walk where you could get breakfast for a quarter of the price, (admittedly with lower quality ingredients but we had no problems in the places we ate). It was clear from our stay that a large part of the clientele in this hotel were what you might call normal working class people as we were, who had saved up to give themselves a treat and I think perhap a fiver off the breakfasts might encourage a lot more people to partake, Or it could just me being stingey !!

The above feedback is only my point of view and you can take it or leave it. I hope it won;t put anyone off staying here as the over-riding experience we had was really positive and we would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Austin705
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a great & extensive review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your time spent in our award winning Grill Room Restaurant.

Thank you also for giving your 2 points of view relating to the bedroom blind and breakfast pricing.

Of course being laser beamed across the face at 5am is far from ideal and I will be passing this on to our property & maintenance team to investigate. I don’t think it would take any building work to rectify this, just a new blind.

With regards to our breakfast pricing and for the benefit of anyone reading your review, the price you have mentioned is for 2 people not 1. Otherwise yes I would agree that it would be expensive!

The pricing of our food and beverage, we feel is competitive in light of the surrounding area and calibre of Hotel that we are. Obviously there are more cost effective establishments in the city centre and we can appreciate that some of our guests may prefer to explore this option.

The full cooked Yorkshire Breakfast entitles our guest to choose as much as they wish from both our continental and hot food offering. Without wishing to sound condescending, for the 5 star establishment that we are whereby service standards and luxury comes at an expense to us, a £20 per person charge that we pass on I believe is reasonable.

The £5 tray charge which is displayed on our room service menu is again a standard type charge that most hotels use and again, covers additional costs to us as a business.

All of our guests have a choice of breakfast package at booking stage so are aware of the charges before they are incurred.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

We have just returned from a 1 night stay at Cedar Court Grand. We were recommended the hotel by 2 separate family members who have both stayed recently. The hotel itself is beautiful and very elegant. The staff were very friendly and attentive. The standard double room was fine. Spacious with a Queen size bed. The bedding, although torn at the seem was luxurious and extremely comfortable. The spa was nice although smaller than others we have used. We ate in the restaurant which was light and modern. The food was of a good quality. We had breakfast delivered to our room at a £5 supplement however this was definitely worth it. The hotel is ideally located between the train station and York City centre. Check in was from 3 however we arrived early to spend the day in York. The staff were more than happy to store our luggage until later in the day. Unfortunately we endured a trickling sound coming from the air condition unit at intervals during the night and which woke us early in the morning. We did inform reception on checking out who offered a suitable apology. Our room was on the ground floor and although on the whole was clean when we lifted the voile and main blind on the large window in the entrance hall we found the dirtiest window we have ever seen. This did not effect our stay at all as we discovered this shortly before check out. We presumed the window was inaccessible for cleaning but was quite a surprise. In summary we would recommend this hotel for a comfortable getaway with a touch of luxury. Unfortunately for the above reasons we would not rate this hotel a 5.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank holidaybaby68
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular the hospitality that you received from our team.

I will pass on all of your comments to our Senior Management Team. It’s only by receiving such feedback that we can improve upon our standards.

It’s a shame that because of a sound that you heard from an air conditioning unit and a dirty window to which I am note sure where you are referring to has in your opinion made us not worthy of our AA 5 star status. I will of course pass on your comments to our in house property and maintenance team to look in to.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

This is a beautiful hotel within walking distance of the York Rail Station. The building itself is magnificent, the former headquarters of the Great North Eastern Railway. It has been brilliantly converted into a gracious and luxurious hotel.

Our Executive Twin Room was extremely spacious. But oddly, the beds were small twin beds in the enormous room. And for all the space, the two beds were pushed together in that curious European fashion. I was traveling with a cousin, so I had requested a room with two beds – which I got – but the setup was curious considering the vast amount of space the furniture had to fill. It would have been considerably more comfortable with larger beds, separated by a nightstand. Space was not a problem, larger beds could easily have been accommodated!

Nothwithstanding that little problem (we simply rearranged the furniture), the room, and the hotel generally, were wonderful! Staff could not have been more gracious or welcoming, housekeeping was to a very high standard, and the hotel exuded calm competence with always the touch of the luxurious.

The hotel was perfectly situated at about the mid point between the rail station and the center of town. It was an easy walk to the grand Minster, and the centuries old little lanes which constitute the traffic patterns in Old York.

All in all, an exceptional experience. I totally recommend this hotel to anyone interested in the best possible service and accommodation in York.

An aside: At the breakfast buffet, which was smallish, but of the highest quality, the staff asks whether you want toast. Replying in the affirmative, our toast arrived in one of those curiously English toast racks, which we always called “toast coolers.” Nothing cools down the toast like exposing all sides to the immediate environment of the encircling air. Brilliant device if you don’t like warm toast! But all part of the elegant service provided by this excellent British hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MontanaKen
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2012

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular the service you received from our dedicated team.

I will pass on all of your feedback to our Senior Management Team. Again, thank you for taking the time to give us this. It’s only by receiving feedback such as this that we can improve upon and perfect our service standards and the experience that our guests receive.

Reviewed May 10, 2012

special birthday surprise of my 17 year old son. from the moment we arrived i knew we were at a top hotel. staff very attentive helpful and very friendly. we stayed in a classic twin room and was surprised how lovely it was. close to shops conciergie asked if we needed help with directions little touches like this make you feel special as he was busy with luggage and could have just ignored us. i booked us our evening meal in the hotel and would strongly reccomend that you do. food was superb service spot on. for dessert my son asked for cheeseboard the waiter went through every cheese with him. welll done to him i was more then impressed. breakfast was very good as well. this hotel must be a first choice if your visiting york. only disappointment to me was that we were only there for one night. i will be back and il try the spa.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank anita m
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2012

Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular our award winning Grill Room Restaurant and ever efficient Concierge service.