“Just lovely”

Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in York
Leeds
“Just lovely”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Absolutely met my expectations - polite, attentive staff, very friendly. Beautiful room, fab bar and great breakfast. Concierge really helpful. Felt really well looked after! Pool small but beautiful, great button to turn on a resistance current. Unfortunately the jacuzzi was out of order but this was explained to as soon as we went into the spa. Beds very confutable, towels fluffy - couldn't have asked for more!

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank BAGEL01
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your time spent in our Spa.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Everything about this hotel was perfect. I stayed with my boyfriend in Feb 2012 as a romantic surprise. From the second we checked in, we were treat like royalty. We were checked in by Poppy who was just lovely and then got took up by concierge to our room. He opened the door and then saw a lovely surprise that was organised by my boyfriend (who probs harrased the staff beforehand- so even putting up with that thank you)
The room was heaven... very spacious... immaculate... 2 chairs...huge comfy bed with dressing gowns... huge bathroom, heated floor, a very luxurious bath and double shower! Oh girls, Molton brown toiletries :-)
Every member of staff we came into contact with was so pleasant and lovely .
I will be saving the pennies so I can come back again!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sweetness86

Dumfries and Galloway, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2012

My wife and I had the pleasure of staying at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa on Saturday (10.03.12) for one night as a guest of friends that were celebrating a major birthday. We were greeted by their Concierge on arrival and our car was taken by one of their staff to a local car park and the '5 Star' treatment continued right up to when we departed the next day. The Spa facilities in the hotel were great and the staff couldn't have been more helpful. We didn't have dinner in the hotel as we wanted an Italian meal, however we did have breakfast in the hotel and it was fabulous.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ALAN J
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a positive review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team here at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future whereby I hope you will have more time to take advantage of more of our facilities such as Dinner in our Award Winning Restaurant.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Everything about this hotel was perfect.
I stayed with my boyfriend in October 2011 and every member of staff that we came into contact with was lovely and helpful.
The room was large, and immaculate. The bed was very comfortable and the view over the city was amazing. We had a huge bath and a double shower (best hotel shower Ive ever come across).
In terms of location, it is just inside the city walls. perfect for the train station and only a short walk to the main shopping area.
It wasnt cheap to stay here but still worth every penny!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SN2003
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your stay with us back in October.

Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed March 21, 2012

It was my second time at York when I stayed in Cedar. My first experience is for Marriott so I can compare them.

Cedar is defintely a lot more luxurious hotel than Marriott. Not only the reception and restaurant areas, but also room inside. Breakfast is well prepared and daily newspaper is served every morning. The only disadvantage compared to Marriott is not having pool in Cedar.

The Hotel is located just opposite of Railway station and very closed to city center. Just walking distance to Minster area, which is not the case for Marriott.

If you are looking for elegant experience in York no need to think about, go ahead!!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

Indeed we do have a Swimming Pool amongst other Spa facilities located on the lower ground floor of the building. It’s a great shame that you were unaware of this, however this is information is conveyed in all guest literature, including our website and is also communicated verbally upon arrival to the hotel. I hope that you are able to see this great facility at first hand on your next visit to us.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2012

My partner and I were in York and wanted a coffee but somewhere nice and walked into the hotel. We were welcomed at the door by a fantasic door man that walked us into the hotel and showed us were to go.

The reception is stunning and very professional, we walked to the tea room area near The Grill and it was stunning. We sat down and we were welcomed again by a young girl who showed a very high standard of service and took our order.

The coffee and service were 2nd to none and was 100% faultless (and i'm a hard to please).

I was expecting a massive bill as normaly hotels of this standard charge massive amounts for light refreshments, but was cheaper than a trip to starbucks.

I think the hotel and staff should be very proud of the level of service they provide.

5 Star all the way

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John W
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Bevergage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 23, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a nice review following your recent visit to us.

I’m delighted your experience in our Restaurant / Bar was so enjoyable. I know the Team will be as delighted as myself in reading your positive feedback.

Chesterfield
Reviewed March 21, 2012

We have just return from a weekend trip to York and had the pleasure of staying at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.
Whilst I tend not to "slum it" when it comes to lodgings, I have only stayed in 5 star hotels on relatively few occasions. That being said, the Cedar Court can hold its own with any of the 5 star hotels I have stayed in previously.

Before we had even entered the hotel, Paul the doorman had relieved us of our bags and showed us to reception. We were able to check in well in advance of the stated 3pm check in time and Paul escorted us to our room and gave us a thorough explaination of the room features (although he managed to make a simple hotel room hotel room sound very complicated!). Paul seemed very knowledgeable about the hotel and informed us that, despite being over 100 years old, the building was only converted into a hotel 2 years ago.

Despite booking a standard (Classic) Room I was very pleased to see how large the room was, this would have been classed as a large Junior Suite in many London hotels! The bathroom was also very large and well kitted out with Molton Brown toiletries.
We were then offered a complimentary tea & coffee served in our room before we headed out to see the sites and sounds of York.

Upon returning from a hard days' shopping and sightseeing we returned to the hotel and decided to go for a swim down at the spa, which was very well appointed.
That evening we went for a night cap in the hotel bar. Prices were actually not all that bad for a 5 star hotel bar - about £4 for a bottle of lager and £7 for a cocktail.

The following morning we enjoyed the continental breakfast in the restaurant. Whilst I did initially think that £15 was a bit steep for a breakfast that didnt include bacon or sausage (that was extra), we were very impressed with the offering and can vouch for the fact that £15 is not expensive for the quality and range of the breakfast and the surroundings in which it was served. Gillian, Natalie and Dael looked after us impeccably.

There were 1 or 2 small niggles to mention: the temperature control for the shower was broken so I could not adjust the temperature of the water, which was rather warm (I wasn't using that layer of skin anyway!) and the control for the tv volume in the bathroom didn't work properly. Neither of these were of any detriment to my enjoyment of one of the most pleasurable hotel stays I have experienced in a long while.

The hotel itself was immaculately appointed (the lifts were VERY shiny!) and included the widest hotel corridors I have ever seen. The staff were exceptional and all the staff were attentive but not intrusive.

All in all I would not hesitate to recommend the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa. From previous experience I would expect to pay 3 or 4 times what this stay cost me to have a similar standard of hotel and service in other parts of the country. Excellent from start to finish!!

Room Tip: Whilst our room was on the front of the hotel, we heard from other guests that rooms on the side of...