We have just return from a weekend trip to York and had the pleasure of staying at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa.
Whilst I tend not to "slum it" when it comes to lodgings, I have only stayed in 5 star hotels on relatively few occasions. That being said, the Cedar Court can hold its own with any of the 5 star hotels I have stayed in previously.
Before we had even entered the hotel, Paul the doorman had relieved us of our bags and showed us to reception. We were able to check in well in advance of the stated 3pm check in time and Paul escorted us to our room and gave us a thorough explaination of the room features (although he managed to make a simple hotel room hotel room sound very complicated!). Paul seemed very knowledgeable about the hotel and informed us that, despite being over 100 years old, the building was only converted into a hotel 2 years ago.
Despite booking a standard (Classic) Room I was very pleased to see how large the room was, this would have been classed as a large Junior Suite in many London hotels! The bathroom was also very large and well kitted out with Molton Brown toiletries.
We were then offered a complimentary tea & coffee served in our room before we headed out to see the sites and sounds of York.
Upon returning from a hard days' shopping and sightseeing we returned to the hotel and decided to go for a swim down at the spa, which was very well appointed.
That evening we went for a night cap in the hotel bar. Prices were actually not all that bad for a 5 star hotel bar - about £4 for a bottle of lager and £7 for a cocktail.
The following morning we enjoyed the continental breakfast in the restaurant. Whilst I did initially think that £15 was a bit steep for a breakfast that didnt include bacon or sausage (that was extra), we were very impressed with the offering and can vouch for the fact that £15 is not expensive for the quality and range of the breakfast and the surroundings in which it was served. Gillian, Natalie and Dael looked after us impeccably.
There were 1 or 2 small niggles to mention: the temperature control for the shower was broken so I could not adjust the temperature of the water, which was rather warm (I wasn't using that layer of skin anyway!) and the control for the tv volume in the bathroom didn't work properly. Neither of these were of any detriment to my enjoyment of one of the most pleasurable hotel stays I have experienced in a long while.
The hotel itself was immaculately appointed (the lifts were VERY shiny!) and included the widest hotel corridors I have ever seen. The staff were exceptional and all the staff were attentive but not intrusive.
All in all I would not hesitate to recommend the Cedar Court Grand Hotel and Spa. From previous experience I would expect to pay 3 or 4 times what this stay cost me to have a similar standard of hotel and service in other parts of the country. Excellent from start to finish!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- With stunning views of the Minster and the city’s ancient walls the Grand Hotel & Spa enjoys an enviable central location as York’s only five star hotel. Built in 1906 as one of the great railway buildings of York, the hotel’s graceful Edwardian architecture is complemented with fine dining and a luxurious spa complex that features an indoor pool and treatment rooms. All 107 guest rooms are individually designed and furnished to an extremely high specification, creating an indulgent yet unpretentious environment for both leisure and business travellers. And private dining facilities, an open air roof garden and elegant function rooms, provide a plethora of unique options for events and meetings. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Grand Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel York
- Cedar Court Grand Hotel And Spa