“Fabulous experience well worth every penny!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Grand Hotel & Spa

The Grand Hotel & Spa
Ranked #6 of 46 Hotels in York
Northumberland, United Kingdom
“Fabulous experience well worth every penny!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

Some wonderful memories made in a wonderful hotel. Our experience from start to finish was of great service provided by most excellent friendly warm staff. They are a credit to this hotel. We travelled by rail and after 2min walk arrived at a lovely building that has been refurbished to a very high standard with many of it's original features in fine splendour to still be able to enjoy. Being greeted by Reception and concierge in a very welcoming manner we felt we were in for something special. After being shown to our room passing wide corridors and elegant finishings we were very happy to find our 'Classic' room superb. Lovely view over the historic Walls, and Yorks very own 'Eye' going round slowly and majestically, all lit up. The room was very spacious, the bed so comfortable, conducive of a great nights sleep. Refreshments and toiletries all good quality. Classic room also has underfloor heating in the equisite bathroom along with bathrobes and slippers.
The lounge where we had pre and post dinner drinks has a delectable atmosphere with very comfortable sofa's for you to relax in whilst enjoying the bartenders wonderful cocktails and excellent wine.
We had breakfast in our room which was presented beautifully and was a delicious delight. We stayed here overnight as part of our Christmas shopping trip and after the hustle and bustle of York City, Cedar Court was a wonderful retreat to spoil ourselves in. I would recommend this hotel at a drop of a hat. We most certainly will return and hopefully soon. Thank you Cedar Court for doing such a Grand job!!
The Dixons.

• Stayed December 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 22, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

It’s nice to read also that you took advantage of our In Room Dining facility. I will pass on your kind words to our team

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future.

Graeme Clark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (668)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

Having had a wonderful time on our first visit, and writing a rave review here, we went back, taking my parents this time. It's still a beautiful building and the restaurant food is still good but they lost it big time with the service.
I won't go into all the details here, but they tried to charge my dad when I had already paid and expressly asked them not to talk to him about money, and my check out took nearly an hour and I was presented in that time with four different bills ranging from £80 to £765 !! it was like a random number generator. We waited forty minutes for tea and when it came it was cold and we had to return our bar snacks at lunchtime.
I wrote to the general manager assuming it was a one off and he'd want to know and apologise. Four weeks on I haven't had so much as an acknowledgement of my letter. NOT what I call five star service.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank L0uPr0
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, January 4, 2012
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay with us.

I am naturally disappointed by the content of your review. I will pass on your comments to our Senior Management Team. It is only by receiving feedback such as this that we can improve our service standards.

The General Manager that you refer to as “he” is in fact “she”. Perhaps your letter that you sent was not received? If you could forward this direct to me at graeme.clark@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk, I would be most grateful.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

I booked this hotel without reading reviews first, and despite having read the poorer critiques, I ignored them and decided to make my own mind up.
SLEEP: We stayed for 1 night in the exec.double with continental breakfast. I rang previously and specified that as my partner is a light sleeper and this was in celebration of his birthday, I would like a quieter and perhaps more spacious room - they gave me room 220 which is directly opposite the staircase - a lovely room! Although there was a little 'merry making' in the streets below and the view from the window was scaffold clad buildings - this is NOT the hotel's fault and in no way stopped us sleeping. I'm sure without the scaffold the building underneath would have been an interesting view.
STAFF: We arrived early and left our bags with the porter, a very happy chap! Being of 5 star reputation, there are a lot of formalities and etiquette in the air. I being quite a humble and earthy sort of person felt a bit awkward and unsure of what to do, but the staff guided us through everything. I never met this 'grumpy lady' I've heard of in other reviews. The staff were fantastic.
The champagne and strawberries were a nice touch at an extra £45 - but the bottle was large and we didn't get through half of it! The bathroom(s) were spotless and the bed was super soft and cosey.
SPA: We went for a spa treatment - and despite requesting a double room for our massages we were put separately - apparently this hadn't been recorded in the booking. If you want this I suggest you ring a little closer to the day and confirm your request. The other facilities were fantastic, the ladies have a hairdrier and straighteners if you need them. Although in other spa's I have seen mini tumble driers for swimwear - there is nothing like that here - but you do have bags to take away your things as standard. We dried our stuff on the edge of the bath tub over night.
FOOD: Dining here was a little pricey but COMPLETELY worth the experience. I love my food - love it - and was NOT disappointed. Duck with a blueberry sauce? yes. They even brought several interesting little starters to tickle the taste buds whilst you waited for the main (no additional charge). We followed dinner with a cheeky cocktail in the bar next door! Don't forget, if you have any extras it will come out of you £100 deposit, and you will need to sign for it.. I nearly forgot and tried walking off after our drink! woops! But the tender kindly followed us discretely and reminded us with a smile! The next morning we went for breakfast downstairs. Again formalities aplenty as we were passed about from person to person ( lots of people with very different roles in the restaurant!!) but the breakfast selection was extensive! Breads, pastries, muffins, doughnuts, cereals, fruits, even hams and interesting fish! A hot selection was available at £5 more, and the 'in room' service was another £5 on top of this but you had a fair variety!

This was an expensive experience, I probably wont have the money to do this again. But if you have someone you want to impress - take them to this period set, marble, dark wood and brass gilded haven! We spent the day in the city looking at the museums and felt truly steeped in it's history staying here. The colour scheme in my mind is certainly not drab, as suggested in other reviews.. But entirely classical in keeping with the original style and with the christmas decorations was the most romantic of settings!!

I've never seen my partner so in awe. I have seen several 4 star hotels and this is by far the most enchanting. Thankyou for a fantastic break.

Room Tip: They allocate your room on the day you arrive. Make your requests on booking, but perhaps call a lit...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 19, 2011
Dear Guest

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic and thorough review of The Cedar Court Grand following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom, time spent in the Spa and our award wining Grill Room Restaurant. Thank you also for giving special mention to our team who take great pleasure and pride in ensuring all of our guests’ leave us feeling pampered and relaxed.

Ormskirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2011

amazing hotel not cheap but worth every penny excellent staff service food and room was superb nothing at all to mark it down really. Ideal for everything in this fantastic city, location great, everything spot on

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Brussels, Belgium
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

This hotel doesn't deserve its 5th star.

Phone booking procedure and email follow-up was very friendly, and I thought we were going to experience a York equivalent of the wonderful St Pancras hotel in London.

But no. Astonishingly poor reception upon arrival combined with awkward staff in general and imperfect facilities overall. The place has the whiff of being managed by excel, ticking the minimum boxes for its stars and lacking any heart or flair.

School-marm reception: Upon arrival at 2pm we were confronted by a frosty-faced receptionist whose voice rose a scary octave during her lecture on checking-in times and the inability to guarantee early check. Finally she waved us into a waiting room where we waited for an hour for word about our room. She said she'd check with the cleaning staff how long the wait would be -- so we could decide on whether to take a walk around town -- but that never happened. I was so cross at the end of the hour that I told her she'd been inconsiderate. But did she engage? No, she reverted to what is clearly Cedar Court Grand's customer-complaints-training -- she plastered on a smile and chirped something about when breakfast would be served. No apology, no engagement with why we were upset; customers to be processed and dispatched.

And another thing -- call me annoying, but in any hotel, and in particular in a 5-star hotel, i really like to be greeted and addressed by name. At the Cedar Court Grand you're not addressed, no one says your name when you check in or out. You get the feeling that you're on some sort of conveyor belt. It's not a nice feeling.

When we cancelled our dinner reservation in the starchy hotel restaurant, the manager demanded to know "the reason, please" and looked puzzled and disappointed when we said we were looking for a cozy pub supper. No smile, no suggestions of where we might find such a supper -- it was just plain awkward.

As for the refurbishment, it's cut some pretty terrible corners. During our hour-long check-in wait I went looking for a bathroom and was directed up a stairwell splattered with old chewing gum marks to loos that closed badly with splintered doors, plastic loo brushes, ageing wallpaper. This is not retro, it's careless.

When we went downstairs into the spa we were practically rugby-tackled by the spa receptionist who demanded to know what room we were in. Honestly, does one have to be draped in jewels and mink to be treated nicely in this hotel?

The staff at the Cedar Court Grand is not at ease with delivering five-star service. It's all too awkward, all too posh, all to formal and impersonal and, ultimately, unfriendly. Which is surprising, because until the Cedar Court Grand I'd only ever had nice experiences staying in places in and around York.

The room was nice enough, the bed was good, the bathroom was nice, but really, all the above ruined the stay for us.

Oh, and the spa. What a disappointment. Again, call me annoying, but in a 5-star hotel I expect the showers to be hot; i expect particularly for them not to go freezing cold when someone in the cubicle next to me turns on the hot water. I expect the sauna to be very hot and the shower outside the sauna to be very cold. I don't expect a luke-warm sauna and a tepid shower.

This is not a place I will recommend to anyone.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank j r
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback following your recent stay.

Naturally I am most disappointed with the content of your review. The Cedar Court Grand Hotel & Spa has very recently been awarded its 5 star status by the AA, therefore it is a great shame that in your opinion we fell below par. As you will see from the vast majority of our feedback on Trip Advisor we are clearly doing something right, however I appreciate everyone has different expectations and opinions.

I will pass on your comments to our Senior Management Team who am sure will not find your review “annoying” as you have suggested it may be. In the mean time, I will try and respond to some of your points:

Reception – I am very familiar with all of our Front Office Team who are all professional and very friendly so it is very unusually to hear the remark “frosty” used in the same sentence.

Restaurant – Your remark of “starchy” does some what baffle me: - Both our Restaurant and Cocktail Bar have been extremely well decorated in keeping with the buildings style and class. The ambiance, mood and decor of the bar is to a discerning taste and our Grill Room Restaurant mirrors this, along with views of the city wall. A lot of time, effort, investment and of course TLC was put in to the restoration of this Grade 2 listed former Great North Eastern Railway HQ to bring it back to its former glory. Cedar Court Hotels worked closely with English Heritage when restoring the property and we have also received much praise from many a channel. It’s disappointing to read that this was not to your personal taste.
Naturally, I am sure the Manager that you cancelled your reservation with was merely enquiring whether it was something we could resolve / rectify and wishing of course to naturally prevent you from cancelling a reservation unnecessarily. However if you preferred to eat in a neighbouring Public House, that’s absolutely fine.

Refurbishment - Indeed many of the original fixtures and fittings of the Grade 2 listed building can still be seen. Cedar Court Hotels worked closely with English Heritage through the renovation to ensure that the former Great North Eastern Railway HQ was given the love and attention that is deserved.

Had you mentioned any maintenance or housekeeping issue within your bedroom at the time, I am sure our team on hand would have done all possible to rectify these for you.

Spa at the Grand is set in the hotel's atmospheric vaults where the North Eastern Railway company once stowed its millions regularly receives praise from Hotel guests and also receives nominations for numerous Spa awards. Again, I am disappointed that the facilities were not to your personal taste.

Once again, I would like to thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and I am only sorry that you did not enjoy your stay. Although we are 5 star rated, we endeavour to offer a 5 star service with a warm Yorkshire hospitality touch. Every hotel is different in its own right and naturally, we are different to central London Hotels, but my no means inferior.

Middlesbrough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

Without doubt one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in for quite some time.Would recommend it to anybody. Excellent staff, lovely breakfast. The hotel is very tastefully decorated.Room was large with a great bathroom. No complaints at all and look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: We were perfectly happy with the standard double.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 18, 2011
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular our team who looked after you so well and our breakfast offering. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to everyone.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2011

Best hotel I've stayed in without a doubt. Staff were friendly and welcoming. No problem with dropping my bag off early (I'd come by train) so I could go shopping. Likewise when I left the hotel they kept my bag for me till I was ready to pick it up.

Room was lovely, big and clean. Bed was very comfy. Lovely bath. I used the pool both days which was nice. There's also a sauna and jacuzzi. The jacuzzi wasn't working on the second day which was disappointing. Only niggle I had with the hotel is the wifi speed, far too slow. It was like going back to the days of dial up, taking 30secs to load a page and iplayer refused to work as the connection was too slow. Luckily I can use my mobile phone as a wifi hotspot so resorted to that. If you don't want to use wifi they will provide an internet cable to plug in, not sure if that would have been quicker. I've got an iPad so couldn't try that option.

I'd come back like a shot though. Nice and close to York centre for shopping.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank phillippa42
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 15, 2011

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

Our Wifi Speed throughout the building is usually very good / fast so I am sorry to hear you experienced some difficulties. I will pass on your feedback to our Property Manager who will look in to this straight away. Thank you for letting us know.