“WHEN CAN WE RETURN”

Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in York
Morecambe Bay
“WHEN CAN WE RETURN”
Reviewed November 25, 2011

From booking to reception to our leaving all that went on between means this is a place to which you want to return. Thanks. The staff are of the best. Room 332 was B I G and though very comfortable indeed does need something for it to be a more comfortable place. What made the experience of the best was no slamming of bedroom doors like cannons and sound creep from the room next door. Yes a shower control tap fell off/and the room temperature was iffy until house staff immediately put things to right. Thanks. Breakfast was tops. (To the housekeeping staff - looking after 'the bear' was appreciated!) This was not a cheap stay but that said 'you get what you pay for' and the experience was worth the paying.

Room Tip: The verbal plethora of 'offers' can be confusing. Read the website before you phone reservat...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 26, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank your for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us. You can return whenever you like!!

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

Graeme Clark

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (706)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2011

We stayed for one night as a surprise visit to York for my boyfriend's birthday. It was superb, the concierge were excellent, as were all the staff. We arrived early so left the luggage while we explored York (a very central location). The staff offered to call us should our room become available earlier (great service!!). The room was beautiful and the whiskey bar was a great place for a night cap...An absolutely great stay along with the full use of the gym and spa, couldn't have wished for a better place to treat someone.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 25, 2011
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom and our Whisky lounge which boasts over 200 Whiskies and is the ideal place to retire to at the end of a long day or after dinner.

Pickering England
Reviewed November 23, 2011

First things first-can see why this hotel has a five star rating and have no doubt it is justified.
We had a very pleasant stay and an excellent dinner in the Grill Room.At £300 our bill represented very good value compared to many 3 and 4 Star hotels in the area. There were niggles with housekeeping standards and there are some style v practicalitry issues but we have communicated these directly to the hotel.
Great place to stay to spend time in York and don't underestimate the value of the Spa on a winter's afternoon.
Just some attention to detail and training to be tweaked.

Room Tip: Pay extra for an Executive double
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, December 3, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted that in general, you enjoyed your stay throughout and had time to visit our award winning Grill Room Restaurant. It’s pleasing to read also that you enjoyed your time in our Spa, located in the whisper quiet vaults of the former North Eastern Railway HQ..

I will pass on your comments regarding our Housekeeping service to our team. It is only by receiving feedback such as this that we can perfect our service standards.

Durham
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We stayed for one night 20th November and could not fault the service, location or the hotel itself. Standard rooms are a good size larger than most hotels and very clean. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the train station, turn left and is just beyond the city walls, you can't miss it. Hotel staff were very polite and friendly. Cocktails in the lounge were nice but would only order one as a little pricey, especially as Living Room, Slug and Lettuce etc are a stone throw away. Would also highly recommend Akbars Indian Restaurant around the corner, excellent food!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 24, 2011
Dear Guest

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout.

It’s great to read that you took the time to sample a cocktail in our cocktail bar. The pricing of our food and beverage, we feel is competitive in light of the surrounding area and calibre of Hotel that we are. Obviously there are more cost effective establishments in the city centre and we can appreciate that some of our guests may prefer to explore this option.

Whilst the Indian Restaurant you have mentioned in town is very nice, I must urge you to try our Grill Room Restaurant on your next visit to York. Or Grill Room has recently been awarded 2 AA Rosettes for Culinary excellence. Using fresh local produce to produce a menu of modern international cuisine which is complimented by a high standard of service and wine to match.

York, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2011

I recently took my 99 year old mother for afternoon tea at the Cedar Court Grand Hotel in York. The staff from the concierge to the waiting staff could not do enough to help us. One particular member of the restaurant staff went out of his way to engage my mother in conversation and in so doing he made her day. When you are that age most people don't take the trouble. Well done and you deserve your 5 star status.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Mr_Graeme_Clark, Food & Beverage Operations Manager at The Grand Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Dear Guest

Thank your for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent afternoon tea with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed the experience throughout and it’s great to read that your Mother enjoyed her special day also.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future. Perhaps we could help you arrange something for a 100th birthday party?

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Cannot say enough about this fantastic beautifully furnished 5 star hotel.

The whole place, decor, staff exceeded my expectations for a thoroughly enjoyed treat for my Husband's birthday. The only down side was that we had not booked for a whole week (or at least another night).

We were greeted by concierge as the reception was busy. He stored our bags for us as it was only 12.30 when we arrived and we knew our room would not be available until 3. He did, however, take my mobile number and told us he would give us a ring if our room became available sooner. As promised, the hotel rang and left an answerphone message to say our room was ready.

When we returned to the hotel to check in, the receptionist informed us that we had a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room. A wonderful start to a wonderful 24 hours!

Shortly after being shown to our huge and tastefully decorated room, the receptionist rang us to ensure we were happy with our room. We really were made to feel very special indeed.

I had previously contacted the hotel to see if we could have afternoon tea served in our room, this was no problem whatsoever. We paid a £5 tray service charge (well worth it) and our extremely scrumptious afternoon tea was brought to us on a wheely fold out table. We were totally stuffed after a vast array of teeny sandwiches, fruit scones with the best clotted cream I have tasted in my 37 years!! Followed by extremely beautiful cakes.

After a little rest (as we could barely move after all that naughtiness) we took a little jaunt down to the beautiful spa area. The pool was lovely and warm without being too hot. The jacuzzi was deliciously hot and powerful and the sauna and steam rooms were spotless. I only wish we could have stretched to a treatment each!!

After a meal out in York we decided to treat ourselves to a cocktail in the hotel bar, this led to 2 more........gorgeous. When we staggered back upstairs, we found the bed turned down and a little sample of eye mask on my pillow. What a lovely touch. My husband suffers with asthma and didnt think earlier, but we realised that the divine duck down duvet may just set an attack off so I rang down to reception (bearing in mind it was after midnight) and asked if there was anyway we could have a normal synthetic duvet. The lady was extremely helpful and a young man came up with another duvet. Honestly, nothing was a bother for the wonderful staff.

After the best night's sleep ever (not sure if it was the delightful cocktails!!!) I made a lovely cup of tea and coffee from the room's service tray. The coffee was proper ground coffee with a cafetiere (wonderful touch).

I would wholeheartedly recommend this fantastic hotel to anyone staying in York. We had a wonderful, romantic and happy time here. Hope you do too xx

Dear Guest

Wow! Thank you for taking the time to write such an amaaaaaaazing review following your recent stay with us.

I’m delighted you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including your accommodation, afternoon tea in room dining experience and cocktails in the bar, It’s very pleasing to read that you picked up on the finer touches that we provide throughout all our guests stay with us to truly make it a 5 star experience. I will be sure to pass on your kind works to our team. I am sure they will be as delighted to read them as I am.

On behalf of myself and the rest of the team at The Grand, we look forward to welcoming you back to us in the future where I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us for longer.

Why not also visit our award winning Grill Room Restaurant; using fresh local produce to produce a menu of modern international cuisine which is complimented by a high standard of service and wine to match.

Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2011

Booked four nights at cedar court for our usual wedding anniversary break and can definately say it was one of the nicest hotels we have stayed in.Staff were all superb.Met at the kerb and had our luggage unloaded and car taken to a secure car park. We were early but were able to leave our luggage and take a walk into town for lunch. They even took our number so they could contact us if the room became available early. When we did return we were shown to our very impressive room. Wonderful. large,spotless, delightful. The bathroom was amazing.Large double shower,large bath and double sink and underfloor heating. Two plush bathrobes were on hangers awaiting us too. No slippers but we did not find the need to ask for these as the underfloor heating made them unnecessary. All toiletries were molton brown and you even had little gifts of molton brown on you pillow with the turn down service.

The bar was full of character and a wonderful place to relax. The cocktail list was amazing and even the champagne cocktails we felt were a reasonable price.Each afternoon we returned to the bar for a gin and tonic and to unwind after sampling the delights of york before returning to our room.The bar staff were always charming and friendly.

Just two little points that niggled but have not stopped me giving the hotel five stars. First the only time we ate in the hotel it did not live up to expectations.We do think though that instead of blaming the hotel we perhaps made bad choices from the menu and openly admit we prefer plainer food than michelin starred etc (a curry at akbars was one of our food highlights).I wish i had noticed the tiramisu was deconstructed!! (no did,nt know what it meant) which seemed to consist of tiny coffee jellies and lumps of not quite sure.Since learned this is a very modern cheffy thing to do though so my own fault for not reading menu properly.
Other very slightly disappointing thing was that over the course of 8 years we have been away every anniversary from early days 3 stars to the 5 star luxury of the cedar court it is the first time we have not been given a card and small gift (nothing outrageous just small complimentary drinks or small box of chocolates).We had advised the hotel and had purchased their £50 celebratory package of champagne and strawberries for the room so perhaps they though it not necessary but it does add to the occasion.

I still say best hotel ever and could never give this hotel anything other than five stars. Staff were simply wonderful.

1 Thank kaz016
Dear Guest

Wow!!! Thank your for taking the time to write such a fantastic review following your recent stay with us. May I take this opportunity to wish you a belated Happy Anniversary from all of us here at The Grand.

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay throughout, in particular your bedroom and our Cocktail Bar.

Besides our Grill Room Menu which has recently been awarded 2 AA Rosettes for Culinary excellence, we also provide a more basic menu in our Cocktail Bar which includes a variety of less complex dishes from cold sandwiches to hot home comforts.

The hotel does indeed recognise all guests who are celebrating a special occasion and a card at least is usually written. I’m sorry on this occasion this was missed. Please be sure to contact me direct prior to your next visit at graeme.clark@cedarcourtgrand.co.uk.